Golden Stout

Iliff Avenue Brewhouse

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I don't normally brew what I consider novelty beers but something about this intrigues me. I saw a recent Brulosophy post related to this so thought I might give one a go.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/746909/golden-stout

I realize that pils is not the ideal base malt and a more characterful yeast would be nice for this but I'm trying to use what I have on hand as I prepare for the end of the world. Any thoughts on amount of nibs and whole coffee beans?

I am home toasting the flaked oats as well as pils to make "amber malt" today. The nibs will also be roasted before adding post fermentation.

Last edited:
Good luck with this one and please keep us posted!

I've got very little to offer except that I've added 2oz of crushed Cacao Nibs at knockout to a regular Oatmeal Stout and they added a subtle but noticeable chocolate aroma and flavor. If I were to make this again (and I certainly will - it came out close enough to what I was after that I know I can grab it next time!) I would probably bump to 3oz. I would also add maybe a Tbs of a good vanilla extract at packaging, not because I want the vanilla flavor (I would need more than a Tbs for that) but because I think a little vanilla would enhance the chocolate (and coffee) flavor, or at least what we normally perceive as chocolate flavor. Again, I'm at 2.5 gallons and added nibs at knockout. Not sure how that really relates to adding nibs to secondary, if at all.

Good luck with this one and please keep us posted!

I've got very little to offer except that I've added 2oz of crushed Cacao Nibs at knockout to a regular Oatmeal Stout and they added a subtle but noticeable chocolate aroma and flavor. If I were to make this again (and I certainly will - it came out close enough to what I was after that I know I can grab it next time!) I would probably bump to 3oz. I would also add maybe a Tbs of a good vanilla extract at packaging, not because I want the vanilla flavor (I would need more than a Tbs for that) but because I think a little vanilla would enhance the chocolate (and coffee) flavor, or at least what we normally perceive as chocolate flavor. Again, I'm at 2.5 gallons and added nibs at knockout. Not sure how that really relates to adding nibs to secondary, if at all.

I've only used nibs once and I didn't roast them. I used 4 oz in a 5 gallon batch of imperial porter and it was hardly detectable. I am hoping that roasting helps. I will be adding them post fermentation in attempt to conserve the goodness.

I like the idea of vanilla. May add a touch.

Are you planning to mash high to make a relatively unfermentable wort? I've also had some success with just steeping whole coffee beans. Get's great aroma and ok flavour, but it's also relatively good for keeping the colour down.

Are you planning to mash high to make a relatively unfermentable wort? I've also had some success with just steeping whole coffee beans. Get's great aroma and ok flavour, but it's also relatively good for keeping the colour down.

yeah planning on 158f for 45 minutes. Any recommendations on how much coffee for a beer like this?

I do 100g (3.5oz) for about 3 days before packaging for a 10 litre (2.6 gallon) batch. That's in a dark imperial, not sure how it would work in a white stout.

We visited Modern Times Beer in San Diego and had their golden stout " Golden Hammer". The menu description is a Dessert golden stout meticulously layered with copious amounts of house-toasted cacao nibs, vanilla, and American oak. This holiday marvel's bright hold appearance belies a flavor profile that's basically a German chocolate cake in liquid form. Witness the magic. Looks like it was a seasonal only because I can't find it on their website.

That was the first and only time I had a chance to experience a golden stout. Just wanted to share the flavor profile that they achieved, Lots of chocolate without coffee. Their beer was some of the best we had.while in San Diego.

That was the first and only time I had a chance to experience a golden stout. Just wanted to share the flavor profile that they achieved, Lots of chocolate without coffee. Their beer was some of the best we had.while in San Diego.

Yeah. I have been there a few times. Also visited the location in Portland last year. Excellent beer.

Sitting at 1.020 after 6 days. We'll see if it drops a couple more points. 158F mash for 45 minutes seems to have done the trick but still less attenuation than I was expecting. Planning to add coffee and cacao nibs in the next couple of days though I'm still a little unsure on quantities.

The sample tastes really good and I am very pleased. Toasting the oats in the oven really carried through and the homemade amber malt seems to have added some toasty, biscuit qualities.

Sitting at 1.020 after 6 days. We'll see if it drops a couple more points. 158F mash for 45 minutes seems to have done the trick but still less attenuation than I was expecting. Planning to add coffee and cacao nibs in the next couple of days though I'm still a little unsure on quantities.

The sample tastes really good and I am very pleased. Toasting the oats in the oven really carried through and the homemade amber malt seems to have added some toasty, biscuit qualities.

Did you toast all 1.5# of the flaked oats? 350° for 30 minutes or so? Just curious because I plan on toasting some flaked oats for a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout in the near future.

Did you toast all 1.5# of the flaked oats? 350° for 30 minutes or so? Just curious because I plan on toasting some flaked oats for a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout in the near future.

So the recommendation was for 30 minutes however that didn't seem to do the trick. I went for a full hour stirring often. I think since I had the full 1.5# in one pan it took longer since it was not spread out in a thinner layer.

Kegged this last night. Way too early to tell but I may have missed the mark. Not getting any of the nibs coming through, only coffee. I added some vanilla extract to add another layer. If nothing else I suppose I can call it a coffee blonde. We'll see if it's decent enough to give another shot.

At least I got the color right...

That's frustrating about the nibs. I'm 2 beers away from giving a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout another go. This time I plan on adding some nibs to the mash and some right at the end of the boil. I may also make a Nibs tincture to add at packaging. If I can't get the cacao flavor to come through, I'll switch to another method next time.

Did the toasted oats come through in the post-fermented sample?

The toasted oat character was definitely present in earlier samples however I didn't notice it very much last night. I will report back after it's carbed.

Yes the toasted oat character is present in the flavor but it's subtle and has almost doughy thing going on. That was the predominant aroma from the oven and flavor I was getting in earlier samples. The beer has actually turned out to be pretty tasty. The vanilla balanced out the coffee considerably and there is maybe just hint of nibs in the background. I had a commercial "imperial white stout" last night and mine definitely tastes more "stouty" than that one did.

Back