Yeast Capture

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at capturing some yeast from my back yard.

Recently thanks to @Mark Farrall 's post about the 50 yard beer project (I think that's what it's called).
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum...-youve-been-watching.11885/page-9#post-186354
I thought it'd be real cool to maybe brew a batch of GF beer with a wild yeast culture from my back yard.

I don't have a microscope Slants or Agar material but I do have wort.
I've been thinking of saving some wort for some time to have a crack at capturing a yeast so today is the day

20230813_133254.jpg

That beer glass on the left has my GF wort in it nice cold break no?:)
Wort from this recipe
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1396825/poor-man-s-gf-beer
That's the Nova lager finishing up on the right it's still fermenting.

Gunna pop it out here tonight under my Mandarin trees
20230813_142326.jpg
I'll see what I get next crack will be dropping some of my native bees in some wort and see what happens.

Anyone done this or know anything about capturing yeast at home.
I'd love to know all about it cheers!

Cheers

Last edited:
OK it's a Pot Glass Yeast Capture now not a Schooner Glass:D

So ones out under a blossoming orange tree. The mandarins tree just next to it has fallen fruit under it and there are ferm flys everywhere...
20230813_170719.jpg

And the other glass has 5 native bees in it that had fallen on the grass under the hive so they were stragglers (makes me feel better about drowning them in wort).:oops:
20230813_170337.jpg

There's three in a bunch there on the left clinging for life to each other I'll pic these out in the morning or leave em in ?

Anyhow hedging my bets ;)

I hope this works out for you Ben, but I have a feeling that the fruit flies may win out and you'll be on the vinegar making path.
Good luck

I hope this works out for you Ben, but I have a feeling that the fruit flies may win out and you'll be on the vinegar making path.
Good luck
Nothing venture ld Nothing gained.

Yeah just mucking around at this stage.

But what I've gleaned from my quick look at bootleg biology and such is its doable on the home scale :).

Looking at capturing some yeast from my back yard.

Recently thanks to @Mark Farrall 's post about the 50 yard beer project (I think that's what it's called).
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum...-youve-been-watching.11885/page-9#post-186354
I thought it'd be real cool to maybe brew a batch of GF beer with a wild yeast culture from my back yard.

I don't have a microscope Slants or Agar material but I do have wort.
I've been thinking of saving some wort for some time to have a crack at capturing a yeast so today is the day

View attachment 26285
That beer glass on the left has my GF wort in it nice cold break no?:)
Wort from this recipe
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1396825/poor-man-s-gf-beer
That's the Nova lager finishing up on the right it's still fermenting.

Gunna pop it out here tonight under my Mandarin treesView attachment 26286I'll see what I get next crack will be dropping some of my native bees in some wort and see what happens.

Anyone done this or know anything about capturing yeast at home.
I'd love to know all about it cheers!

Cheers
You know, little tiny life vests for the bees would be nice. They'll give off their yeast and still survive to tell the tale. :p

You could also try dropping some of the citrus flowers in. The bees should have dropped off their microbes there.

I've grabbed some yeast from the flowers at a friends farm. Got a very clean, strong fermenter. But it was a bit too clean for my taste so let it die. I'm yet to get something interesting or something horrible. One boring and the rest struggled to turn the wort into beer so I dumped them.

You could also try dropping some of the citrus flowers in. The bees should have dropped off their microbes there.

I've grabbed some yeast from the flowers at a friends farm. Got a very clean, strong fermenter. But it was a bit too clean for my taste so let it die. I'm yet to get something interesting or something horrible. One boring and the rest struggled to turn the wort into beer so I dumped them.
Thanks for your reply Mark.

Yeah my Mandarins will be flowering in a month so I'll grab some wort post brew day around then and drop some flowers in I've also got some lavenders and Grevilleas flowering too so will maybe try some of them when the time comes.

Hey do you take some Slants and streak out the yeast captures on them or just run with what you get in the jar ?

Yeah never been so excited to get an Infection.

Crazy it took 48 hours to kick off.

If it doesn't make you sick, maybe it'll fix your gluten intolerance
FWIW I've got Ceoliac Disease not gluten intolerance their similar but different ;)

Gluten intolerance you can tolerate some gluten in your diet.

Ceoliac Disease any gluten can cause an Auto Immune response where the immune system starts attacking the lining of the small intestine including inflammation and other side effects including gastro and brain fog.:)

I'll get off my soap box now...

The boss "LIKED" your response!

Thanks for your reply Mark.

Yeah my Mandarins will be flowering in a month so I'll grab some wort post brew day around then and drop some flowers in I've also got some lavenders and Grevilleas flowering too so will maybe try some of them when the time comes.

Hey do you take some Slants and streak out the yeast captures on them or just run with what you get in the jar ?
I don't go that far. Just mixed cultures. Though my wife trained as a microbiologist and worked in breweries for a while. So I could get her help, but she's got even less interest.

Forgot about these two so decided I'd check back in with them

20230822_155913.jpg

This is the Bee one.
You see it's got a nice pellicle on top!
I tell you these were almost dormant for a day or three.

On the Snifter it smells nice and fruity and has a sweet honey thing to it I'm guessing from the wort.

Now the open air under the Mandy capture
20230822_155919.jpg

Less happening with this one viable signs of a little meniscus of maybe fermentation happening but not alot.

Oh yeah it's gotta a sorta canned corn canned vegetables smell going on.
You know when you open a can of beans type aroma.
No sulphur just that corn thing.
Things are moving around up and down inside the glass on this one when viewed side on so maybe some fermentation.

Cool

@Trialben I have captured yeast once... It was great! Started off tasting just like a hefeweizen but kept going and cleaned itself up some - got the beer fairly dry. I was a little disappointed that it didn't stay like a hefe but I still enjoyed the results. So did the others that tried it.
I just kept stepping mine up - captured in a mason jar. Pitched into a gallon of wort and then 2.5 gallons and finally 5. I enjoyed it. I just put it on the front porch - not near fruit or anything. I feel there is too many other "things" lurking near fruit. lol

Good luck!

@Trialben I have captured yeast once... It was great! Started off tasting just like a hefeweizen but kept going and cleaned itself up some - got the beer fairly dry. I was a little disappointed that it didn't stay like a hefe but I still enjoyed the results. So did the others that tried it.
I just kept stepping mine up - captured in a mason jar. Pitched into a gallon of wort and then 2.5 gallons and finally 5. I enjoyed it. I just put it on the front porch - not near fruit or anything. I feel there is too many other "things" lurking near fruit. lol

Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement with infecting some wort by chance I'll have something drinkable lol.

Oh man sounds like you got lucky with just one capture awesome man!

Next batch of beer i brew I'll take some more captures out into the garden to play mad scientist with :).

I'm thinking the more I make the more increased my odds of success will be.

It's comming onto spring time here so perfect timing too.

Three Weeks in

Bee one.
20230903_193503.jpg

Look at that layer of white stuff!
It smelt sorta cheesy musty and sweet.
Not super offensive no vomit or anything.

Mandarins open air capture
20230903_193624.jpg

Similar but different that film is cool it floats ontop of the liquid when moved it's like its skimming on top.
Anyhow this smells similar.

Activity looks non existent too

I'll leave them both another week before cold crashing.

See how that white stuffs grown up the glass too.:)

Last edited:

Back