What are you listening to now

It is Friday. That means my big ass 80s playlist that I made on Spotify over a period of years. 1600+ songs.
I too have have 80s music on for the last few hours reading. Not a playlist just whatever Amazon throws out

I too have have 80s music on for the last few hours reading. Not a playlist just whatever Amazon throws out
I like some 80’s, primarily early 80’s. I all but lost interest in new music in the 90’s except from the geriatrics I started listening to in the 60’s. It’s pretty interesting to listen to the effects of time and demand on bands like the Stones, Aerosmith, and ZZ Top. Never mind the influence of technology on what could be done with the right skill set to use it. I just can’t get into ‘modern’ covers of old music by singers that can’t sing without a voice modifier. On the other hand, there’s some BRILLIANT stuff like Disturbed’s cover of “Bridge Over Troubled Water”. But most of my preferred classic rock has such a deep ingrained style and signature, I just have trouble hearing it turned into some kinda bubble gum stuff my 15 year old granddaughter will listen to without station hopping. If a song runs more than 3 minutes, she loses interest and won’t let anyone else enjoy the music. That excludes “Do You Feel Like We Do” and “Freebird” or any other FM Radio album oriented rock pretty quickly, the stuff I grew up listening to when FM was the new broadcast medium. I can still remember having to put up with static crashing and noise because AM radio was all there was to listen to. I don’t miss AM broadcast.

I like some 80’s, primarily early 80’s. I all but lost interest in new music in the 90’s except from the geriatrics I started listening to in the 60’s. It’s pretty interesting to listen to the effects of time and demand on bands like the Stones, Aerosmith, and ZZ Top. Never mind the influence of technology on what could be done with the right skill set to use it. I just can’t get into ‘modern’ covers of old music by singers that can’t sing without a voice modifier. On the other hand, there’s some BRILLIANT stuff like Disturbed’s cover of “Bridge Over Troubled Water”. But most of my preferred classic rock has such a deep ingrained style and signature, I just have trouble hearing it turned into some kinda bubble gum stuff my 15 year old granddaughter will listen to without station hopping. If a song runs more than 3 minutes, she loses interest and won’t let anyone else enjoy the music. That excludes “Do You Feel Like We Do” and “Freebird” or any other FM Radio album oriented rock pretty quickly, the stuff I grew up listening to when FM was the new broadcast medium. I can still remember having to put up with static crashing and noise because AM radio was all there was to listen to. I don’t miss AM broadcast.
AM radio for music? Wow, even dirt thinks you're old...:p

I remember staying up very late as a kid to catch AM stations from the skip zone, which included Chicago, at home in the NYC area. It fascinated me, and eventually led me to a HPJIE.

(High-paying job in electronics)

AM radio for music? Wow, even dirt thinks you're old...:p

I remember staying up very late as a kid to catch AM stations from the skip zone, which included Chicago, at home in the NYC area. It fascinated me, and eventually led me to a HPJIE.

(High-paying job in electronics)
I'm so old I've stepped in dino doody.

WLS in Chicago, WNOE in New Orleans, and another I don't remember from Tennessee are the ones I used to listen to (if I didn't get caught with the radio on). I had to get the replay of American Top 40 with Kaycee Kason (sp?) on Sunday night. When I was a teen, I lived so far out in the sticks, we pumped in sunshine and pumped out moonshine and it took two days for electricity to get there. Current news was yesterday's paper. The world is flat, and I can prove it. I used to cut grass right up to the edge in our back yard. Nighttime was about the only time we could get anything on the radio other than some little local hokey stations where the DJ's would fall asleep and the station would go quiet until someone called to wake them up to play another tune from the 50's. Before my teens, WABB in Mobile was the station for new music , specializing in in all things rock-n-roll. I carried a little transistor radio with me at all times so I could listen.

I carried a little transistor radio with me at all times so I could listen.

You know you're old when you can picture a transistor radio without having to Google it. I used to stay up late listening to E.G Marshall and "Mysteries of the Macabre".

You know you're old when you can picture a transistor radio without having to Google it. I used to stay up late listening to E.G Marshall and "Mysteries of the Macabre".

Or the newfangled calculators with the red colored displays.

IMG_5390.png

Jean Shepherd* on WOR ...9:15 and 10:15 PM weeknights....I hadda buy a new 9 volt battery for that little Westinghouse every week because I'd fall asleep before the second show was over!

* Youngsters would know him as "Ralphie"!

20230813_181200.jpg
CCR...Heardit through the grapevine....with a Founders...

Ok..a minute after that shot..I got up to turn over the chicken ..sat back down and spilled my beer while the Police Message in a Bottle was playing......are cosmic forces trying to tell me something?
20230813_181200.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to go back and listen to some 80's Marillion tonight. I love my classic rock and a whole bunch of other stuff, but I have recently been absolutely enamored by going back and rediscovering some of the albums I haven't listened to in some time by Marillion, New Order, and Ultravox. On Friday, I normally have to listen to the Outlaws Green Grass and High Tides before going to bed though.

Last edited:
Been doing a bit of head music (Pink Floyd) lately. I love Dark Side, but to me, Division Bell is one of their best works. Delicate Sound of Thunder is probably my favorite live Pink Floyd album.

Been doing a bit of head music (Pink Floyd) lately. I love Dark Side, but to me, Division Bell is one of their best works. Delicate Sound of Thunder is probably my favorite live Pink Floyd album.
I LOVE Pink Floyd, but the best head music is "Starship Troopers" by Yes. And the Floyd stuff - If you haven't lost your mind by the end of A Saucerful of Secrets, it was gone anyway LOL.

I think the first eight track tape I ever bought was Pink Floyds Umaguma

I had the Nice Pair cassette in my car in my early 20s which was Piper at The Gates of Dawn and A Saucer Full of Secrets. If you had been out drinking and coming home early in the morning, that shit would trip you out.
Obviously, Dark Side of the Moon is awesome, but a couple of albums went really under the radar and are cool as hell. One is Obscured by Clouds and another is Animals. A Momentary Lapse of Reason was kind of cool because all the classic rock stations could play the first side, but when you flipped it over to the other side, it was awesome.

Back