This is why I'm not feeling like brewing

So far, I like what Voss (Imperial Loki, with a starter) did for my IPA of the 3 C’s. Presently, I am sipping the pour of the third bottle, and I find it to be a good beer. I started fermentation at about 75F, which is ambient temp for my under the stairs interior closet. Fermentation temp was not monitored, but the wall thermometer in the closet was pretty consistent around 75 whenever I looked.

My results using LalBrew Voss (dry) for a batch of Janet’s Brown Ale this past February were less than stellar. Betting it might go better using the Voss left over from the over built starter for the IPA mentioned above. It is getting close to the season for those bigger, darker beers.

Do you think Voss would work in a brown ale? I just had one (that used wyeast 1968) and it made me want a bunch more...
I dunno. I made a cream ale with and it occurred to me that it tasted like WLP029. Made me think it would work for a Kolsch. It’s hard to beat English yeasts in an English beer.

I dunno. I made a cream ale with and it occurred to me that it tasted like WLP029. Made me think it would work for a Kolsch. It’s hard to beat English yeasts in an English beer.
Well, now that I have a packet of Voss Kviek (from a friend :D) I figured I could use it. But maybe not.
I'm feeling brown ale-ish.

I do have the possibility of temperature control for this fermentation, but then I (temporarily) lose the ability to have cold kegs. @Sunfire96 this is one of the downsides of a single device for fermentation and keg storage; not fatal, just an inconvenience.

Well, now that I have a packet of Voss Kviek (from a friend :D) I figured I could use it. But maybe not.

I do have the possibility of temperature control for this fermentation, but then I (temporarily) lose the ability to have cold kegs. @Sunfire96 this is one of the downsides of a single device for fermentation and keg storage; not fatal, just an inconvenience.
Appreciate you looking out, but if I can scale up to 4 gallon brews I'm not worried about constantly filling the pipeline. If I pick the right fridge I can get 2 kegs in there and have 8 gallons going

Yeah I'd be careful on the darker beers where a little body is needed. I've found the Voss can thin out the body a bit great for lite crushable beers. Just my past experience with it.

Yeah I'd be careful on the darker beers where a little body is needed. I've found the Voss can thin out the body a bit great for lite crushable beers. Just my past experience with it.
That's my experience as well. Great for light summer beers, not so much for others. I do like that you only have to chill the wort 100F (38C) and pitch it without hydrating. It's great for when I'm feeling lazy. That stuff starts up in 2-3 hours, beer in 7 days or shorter.

Back