Sparge/recirculation arms

Going to try this setup next brew, used what I could get from what we had in stock at the shop (not much)...
I think this will work well though, it's just attached to the faucet to see how it will work here.

1707082680668.png

hello everyone, i like to ask a question about spartge water.
some recipes say ΄΄sparge 10min΄΄ what is this mean? recirculating the sparging water over and over? why there is a time limit there?
i brew with biab and i don΄t know what exactly i must do for this 10 min!
theanks!!! didn t want to start a new threat

Last edited:
hello everyone, i like to ask a question about spartge water.
some recipes say ΄΄sparge 10min΄΄ what is this mean? recirculating the sparging water over and over? why there is a time limit there?
i brew with biab and i don΄t know what exactly i must do for this 10 min!
theanks!!! didn t want to start a new threat
Sparge water is 170f water added to wash the grain bed of residual sugars. You don't recirculate sparge water.

10 mins is probably a random number for how long it takes the author to reach his/her kettle full volume.

My sparge takes about 20 mins and I'm adding about 30 gals of 170f water through my grain bed to make up my total volume(80 gal)

I think the 10 minute sparge is referring to how long to let the grain sit in the sparge water before draining. The warm/hot water needs a few minutes to get the sugars into solution before draining.

I think the 10 minute sparge is referring to how long to let the grain sit in the sparge water before draining. The warm/hot water needs a few minutes to get the sugars into solution before draining.
I thought that sparge water just sprayed on the grain and drained directly, not great a level of water.

I thought that sparge water just sprayed on the grain and drained directly, not great a level of water.
There many ways to sparge!
It can be as simple, or as complicated as the brewer chooses to make it. It is also not necessary!

That's nice to hear, brewing is finally so simple And same time complicated, I got the point!
It really is. Just take things one at a time. Been doing it 10 years and I still learn stuff all the time

I should have been more clear. I batch sparge. Meaning after the mash I drain the "first runnings" to my boil kettle and add the sparge water. Let that sit for a few minutes and then drain all of that to my boil kettle. My mash tun is a picnic cooler (on the left below). What you are describing is called fly-sparging. In that type of sparging you add the sparge water at the same rate that the wort is draining out of the mash tun. Since you BIAB, you can do a batch sparge or just pour water over your grain bag. As far as extraction of sugars from the mash fly-sparging is the most efficient, batch sparging is next, then BIAB is after that. But, the difference between all three isn't huge so don't stress too much about it.

1712527304245.png

Last edited:
Fly sparging is great, the efficiency is tremendous! But… add another 45 to 60 minutes to your brew day.

Batch , pour or dunk sparge are less efficient but effective. You will need to add more grain to hit your mash target gravity or hope you extraction is optimal.

Full volume mash you will need to adjust your grain bill significantly to hit your desired preboil gravity.

I have found this is what I need to adjust to my different setups over the many years I have been brewing.

Essentially correct

In my 5-gallon batch, I use 1.75 gallons of hot water to sparge. It can be as fast as a minute, or as slow as I want.

It is a fancy word for 'rinse the grain'.

Essentially correct

In my 5-gallon batch, I use 1.75 gallons of hot water to sparge. It can be as fast as a minute, or as slow as I want.

It is a fancy word for 'rinse the grain'.
Brewers love german and old english words #tradition #bigwordsmesmarter #soundsmorecomplicatedthenitis #aretheseactuallyhashtags?

We love to Vorlauf, through our grant, before we sparge with hot liquor!

Hey John, what time did you copper up?

Back