Sparge/recirculation arms

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello brewers! I would like to update/remake my recirculation arm/sparge arm on my mash tun setup. What's everybody using? Do you like it? What would you change? I've looked into PVC, but it's not rated for 150-160' F. Right now I use a short length of silicon tubing, but it doesn't get the coverage that I want. I appreciate everyone's suggestions!

With your tun could do like Clawhammer Supply.
I had the ultimate sparge arm when I had a large kettle. No grain getting stuck in little holes.

Hello brewers! I would like to update/remake my recirculation arm/sparge arm on my mash tun setup. What's everybody using? Do you like it? What would you change? I've looked into PVC, but it's not rated for 150-160' F. Right now I use a short length of silicon tubing, but it doesn't get the coverage that I want. I appreciate everyone's suggestions!
I have no idea what a Sparge arm is, but CPVC (not PVC) has the temperature range you are looking for.

As an aside and with no intentions of sidetracking here, but does your Mash tun hold temperature constant? Is it even necessary to recirculate and Sparge? I’m honestly curious. What’s the gain…the cost-benefit ratio? I swear that I’m not trying to be a jerk (at least, this time). ;) As a simple BIAB’er, I‘m just trying to understand. Are there clear differences between a beer mashed and left alone vs. one mashed, recirculated and rinsed? I find this stuff fascinating.

I have no idea what a Sparge arm is, but CPVC (not PVC) has the temperature range you are looking for.

As an aside and with no intentions of sidetracking here, but does your Mash tun hold temperature constant? Is it even necessary to recirculate and Sparge? I’m honestly curious. What’s the gain…the cost-benefit ratio? I swear that I’m not trying to be a jerk (at least, this time). ;) As a simple BIAB’er, I‘m just trying to understand. Are there clear differences between a beer mashed and left alone vs. one mashed, recirculated and rinsed? I find this stuff fascinating.
I looked into CPVC, but wasn't sure if chlorine would eventually leach out and into the beer

My mash tun does not hold a temp well, and I also like to use my stove top burner to increase the temp for step mashing. Adding any insulation would singe/burn while the burner is on. I like to recirculate during the heating phases to prevent scorching on the bottom of the kettle. I don't think constant recirculation improves extract efficiency, in my personal experience. It's also useful to recirculate as a vorlauf before lautering to the boil kettle

I'm looking for an arm that will disperse the liquid over the grain bed without creating channels in the grain or aerating the wort and creating foam.

I use this, works like a charm

Loc-Line - 51837 Coolant Hose Circle Flow Nozzle Kit, 16 Piece, 1/2" Hose ID https://a.co/d/auNjksl

Loc-Line - 51805 Coolant Hose Component, Acetal Copolymer, Connector, 1/2" Hose ID, 1/2" NPT (Pack of 4) https://a.co/d/bVP15CX
What's the temperature rating on that? Is it easy to work with, like disassembling and configuring the shape?

If you have a very well insulated mash tun. Maybe it is unnecessary.
I do BIAB and use the boil pot. Will not hold heat for anything. So recirc keeps the temp within 3F for the whole time.

Last edited:
I looked into CPVC, but wasn't sure if chlorine would eventually leach out and into the beer

My mash tun does not hold a temp well, and I also like to use my stove top burner to increase the temp for step mashing. Adding any insulation would singe/burn while the burner is on. I like to recirculate during the heating phases to prevent scorching on the bottom of the kettle. I don't think constant recirculation improves extract efficiency, in my personal experience. It's also useful to recirculate as a vorlauf before lautering to the boil kettle

I'm looking for an arm that will disperse the liquid over the grain bed without creating channels in the grain or aerating the wort and creating foam.
Thanks for that. I can certainly understand recirculating to avoid hot/cold spots if temperatures fluctuate and you apply heat. I do the same. My recirculating arm is my right, with a spoon, while my left lifts the lid. :)

What's the temperature rating on that? Is it easy to work with, like disassembling and configuring the shape?
Rated to 180F.

All the little pieces snap together and can be made in any shape you want. they do snap very hard, so disassembling for cleaning is not practical. You can run a brush through it if you want.

Cleaning is just running pbw through it when I clean the herms coil, etc.

Rated to 180F.

All the little pieces snap together and can be made in any shape you want. they do snap very hard, so disassembling for cleaning is not practical. You can run a brush through it if you want.

Cleaning is just running pbw through it when I clean the herms coil, etc.
Thanks for answering. The reason I ask is because that's the sparge arm that Brew Hardware recommends, but they caution its difficult to take apart and sell a separate tool for disassembly

Thanks for that. I can certainly understand recirculating to avoid hot/cold spots if temperatures fluctuate and you apply heat. I do the same. My recirculating arm is my right, with a spoon, while my left lifts the lid. :)
Lol, that's called stirring. I still do that a few time

Thanks for answering. The reason I ask is because that's the sparge arm that Brew Hardware recommends, but they caution its difficult to take apart and sell a separate tool for disassembly
You can get them apart with a pliers, but they do snap hard. I used a bench vice and pliers and it was cake.

On the upside, you only have to do it once

How mine is setup

20240128_094828.jpg
20240128_094835.jpg

I am working out a DYI setup myself right now, this was my inspiration
1706459577792.png

This is how it worked for me this morning, needs further development.
I used a rotary tool to cut a piece of stainless tubing and used a ball peen hammer to shape it.
Hose was too long (spreader too close to top of wort), and the silicon tube ain't exactly straight so I couldn't really center it, or get it to hang plumb.
It is hanging from the sparge arm on a Brewzilla.
It worked well enough, but I hope to have a better arrangement for the next brew.
1706459638473.png

View attachment 28213

I used a rotary tool to cut a piece of stainless tubing and used a ball peen hammer to shape it.
Hose was too long (spreader too close to top of wort), and the silicon tube ain't exactly straight so I couldn't really center it, or get it to hang plumb.
It worked well enough, but I hope to have a better arrangement for the next brew.
View attachment 28214
That's a cool idea Craig. I'm unable to hang anything above my kettle. So I'm limited to what I can attach to the 1/2 inch ball valve at the top of my kettle

View attachment 28213

View attachment 28214
I tried that, but it does channel alot

Would this work?
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/MEDIAX_849526-T2/images/I/41PfqisqIRL._SX522_.jpg

Back