Show your DIY Projects

This is my next little DIY project

1704645954082.png

I have one of these (15" long) that I will adapt to attach to the camlock outlet for mashing.
Parts on order (from work), and I have a piece of stainless steel tube that I can cut and modify to spread the wort like pictured above.
1704646164358.png

@RoadRoach, beautiful work! You're hired! I can pay you in beer!
Thanks for the flowers. I'm afraid you may have to get in line, though. Half the neighborhood is after me now, LOL. Glad I was paying attention when my grandfather was teaching. He is where the credit is due. I just used what he taught me, with a little refinement for modern materials and tools.

This is my next little DIY project

View attachment 27959

I have one of these (15" long) that I will adapt to attach to the camlock outlet for mashing.
Parts on order (from work), and I have a piece of stainless steel tube that I can cut and modify to spread the wort like pictured above.
View attachment 27960
Took me a minute to figure out what the bracket with the flag on it was, but I now see it's the mounting bracket for the nozzle. I made a home-made sparge ring from 3/8 copper tubing, but have yet to test or use it. Obviously, other things had me a little occupied this year. Building the new brew kitchen may give me a better place to do some experimenting/tinkering, assuming I don't get put to work overhauling bathrooms when the new brew kitchen is done.

That nozzel looks like it was just cut at an angle, then bent/flattened to make the diffuser. I like that, and I'll wager is a lot easier than drilling so many tiny holes in a tube ring. Never mind that would be a lot less likely to get stopped up with any chunky bits.

Took me a minute to figure out what the bracket with the flag on it was, but I now see it's the mounting bracket for the nozzle. I made a home-made sparge ring from 3/8 copper tubing, but have yet to test or use it. Obviously, other things had me a little occupied this year. Building the new brew kitchen may give me a better place to do some experimenting/tinkering, assuming I don't get put to work overhauling bathrooms when the new brew kitchen is done.

That nozzel looks like it was just cut at an angle, then bent/flattened to make the diffuser. I like that, and I'll wager is a lot easier than drilling so many tiny holes in a tube ring. Never mind that would be a lot less likely to get stopped up with any chunky bits.
I won't need any brackets, will just cut and form a piece of tube and attach it to the corrugated tube/hose pictured above.

I won't need any brackets, will just cut and form a piece of tube and attach it to the corrugated tube/hose pictured above.
So what's gonna hold the corrugated tube up? I'm now thinking something similar to that, with some kind of support system that clips on the side of the kettle. Need to hit up the thrift store to see if I can find a spare lid for my kettle that I can cut up to add stuff like that to it for mashing.

Full disclosure - I copied this idea from the gadgets section of the current issue of AHA’s Zymurgy magazine. It’s a kettle rinser. Since purchasing an all-in-one and moving my brewing out to the garage and driveway, I’m looking for ways to make my cleaning routine easier. The only modification I made was to attach a larger ”sprinkler head” to the top. The first pic is just for illustrative purposes. It definitely generates substantial pressure.
IMG_3421.jpeg
IMG_3422.jpeg

So what's gonna hold the corrugated tube up? I'm now thinking something similar to that, with some kind of support system that clips on the side of the kettle. Need to hit up the thrift store to see if I can find a spare lid for my kettle that I can cut up to add stuff like that to it for mashing.
The corrugated tube is self supporting.
Problem with my plan however.
I bought that corrugated tube a couple of years ago, it is a Kegland product.
The threads are advertised as 1/2" BSP.
I am in the tubing and tube fittings business, so I ordered some stainless steel BSP adapters to make the connections.
Damn if they won't thread in.
We sell high quality fittings, and I checked the threads on the fittings I ordered in, they are spot on.
Going to have to Contact Kee and see if he will fix me up...
I see now looking at the end fittings on the tube that the threads are bad grrrrr

Full disclosure - I copied this idea from the gadgets section of the current issue of AHA’s Zymurgy magazine. It’s a kettle rinser. Since purchasing an all-in-one and moving my brewing out to the garage and driveway, I’m looking for ways to make my cleaning routine easier. The only modification I made was to attach a larger ”sprinkler head” to the top. The first pic is just for illustrative purposes. It definitely generates substantial pressure.
View attachment 28001View attachment 28002
I like that a lot!
I brew in the basement, and have a nice big sink there to do my cleaning, but I think I need to rig something like that up for rinsing Brewzilla, kegs, and fermenter.

I like that a lot!
I brew in the basement, and have a nice big sink there to do my cleaning, but I think I need to rig something like that up for rinsing Brewzilla, kegs, and fermenter.
Everything sourced from HD except for the 5-way fitting. Had to get it from Amazon as it’s a furniture grade fitting, not plumbing. I find the brass valve between the hose and rinser very helpful so you don’t have to keep going back and forth to the spigot. Also, don’t do what i failed to do. Got all my pieces cut then realized my adhesive was dried up. So, back to HD. Classic DIY fail.

My granddaughter walked into the kitchen last night while it was raining, and asked "What's that?" and was pointing up. My heart sank. Our freshly remodeled kitchen now has an ugly water stain about 6 inches in diameter pretty much in the center of the ceiling. I climbed into the attic, and crawled to the opposite end of the house, and sure enough, the underside of the roof decking was wet and an occasional drop falling. Not much I could do at that point but let it drip. It wasn't a LOT of water, just an occasional drop, and I knew we were about an hour from the rain stopping, so covering the roof with a tarp was not going to do much to help. Besides that, the drip was coming from a joint in the plywood decking, so who knows where the hell the leak has started.

I got the ladder out today (which happens to be a nice beautiful clear day) and went up on the roof to see if I could see anything. The roof is 11 years old and has 30 year shingles on it, so you can guess my displeasure to find it leaking last night. I found NOTHING to indicate it should be leaking. I found a couple spots where the sealing tar on the shingles wasn't holding the bottom edge of the shingle on the next row up, but that shouldn't be the cause of a leak. I don't have any trees nearby and there's not a mark on the roof, period. I get a few elm and water oak leaves blowing up there, but most blow off. Except the elm leaves which tend to go right through the grating of the ridge vent and into the attic for some reason. I get more of them at the far end of the ridge from the tree than I do at the closest end, always dumping a handful of leaves on the floor when I open the attic ladder.

Ennyhoo, so much for all the hard work to make the kitchen beautiful. It lasted all of a month after we got the back-splash done. What's really weird is that it never rained very hard yesterday. It started Saturday about sunset, and rained well into the night last night, but never had any significant wind or heavy downpour. We've had some pretty serious weather including a hard freeze (for Alabama) and a bit of an ice storm, and some torrential downpours as well, but this is the first time in the 20 years I've lived here that I've had a roof leak. Of course it had to happen after all the work we put into that kitchen.

DAMMIT!

My granddaughter walked into the kitchen last night while it was raining, and asked "What's that?" and was pointing up. My heart sank. Our freshly remodeled kitchen now has an ugly water stain about 6 inches in diameter pretty much in the center of the ceiling. I climbed into the attic, and crawled to the opposite end of the house, and sure enough, the underside of the roof decking was wet and an occasional drop falling. Not much I could do at that point but let it drip. It wasn't a LOT of water, just an occasional drop, and I knew we were about an hour from the rain stopping, so covering the roof with a tarp was not going to do much to help. Besides that, the drip was coming from a joint in the plywood decking, so who knows where the hell the leak has started.

I got the ladder out today (which happens to be a nice beautiful clear day) and went up on the roof to see if I could see anything. The roof is 11 years old and has 30 year shingles on it, so you can guess my displeasure to find it leaking last night. I found NOTHING to indicate it should be leaking. I found a couple spots where the sealing tar on the shingles wasn't holding the bottom edge of the shingle on the next row up, but that shouldn't be the cause of a leak. I don't have any trees nearby and there's not a mark on the roof, period. I get a few elm and water oak leaves blowing up there, but most blow off. Except the elm leaves which tend to go right through the grating of the ridge vent and into the attic for some reason. I get more of them at the far end of the ridge from the tree than I do at the closest end, always dumping a handful of leaves on the floor when I open the attic ladder.

Ennyhoo, so much for all the hard work to make the kitchen beautiful. It lasted all of a month after we got the back-splash done. What's really weird is that it never rained very hard yesterday. It started Saturday about sunset, and rained well into the night last night, but never had any significant wind or heavy downpour. We've had some pretty serious weather including a hard freeze (for Alabama) and a bit of an ice storm, and some torrential downpours as well, but this is the first time in the 20 years I've lived here that I've had a roof leak. Of course it had to happen after all the work we put into that kitchen.

DAMMIT!
That sucks. Paint should cover it once you get the leak sorted.

DAMMIT!
Windy when it rained? Got a ridge vent? Horizontal water can get in there. Seen it.
Put a tarp in the attic under the drip to prevent more damage. Bigger is better.

To find it: Get a hose and drench a 3 foot length of the ridge, letting it flow down to the eaves. 30 minutes might be necessary. Then go look. Nothing? Move over another 3 feet and repeat. _OR_ call a roofer, as painful as it might be.

The stain will not go away until you use KILZ oil-based original or a similar product. Trust me. They make rattle cans of the stuff, since it's a small area that might be an option.

I hope the stain is localized away from your cabinets
Not sure if you have "kilz" paint where you are, if not, there are others
They have a stain hiding paint, works great!

That really sucks! The leak has probably been there a while and your remodel simply rerouted it. Or the drywall isn't as waterproof as the old. That would be the case in my house where the drywall was actually rock-lathe(1/4" drywall backed by 1/4" cement board, with plaster floated over the face). It would take a significant leak to work its way through that. I agree with Don; tarp in the attic until you can repair the leak.

Forgot one. We also added a gravel parking area to replace the muddy spot where I used to park my truck View attachment 27943

Out of all the work, the only part I contracted out was the tile, simply because I didn’t think the kitchen would be a good place to show off my lack of skill with tile. All the rest was me and the missus with a little help 1 day a week for a couple months from a friend that needed work and happened to be in the area for his daughter’s school.

Still have the bathrooms to do which will be major remodeling to increase the size of the shower in the master bath and make the plumbing in both more accessible and maintenance friendly. Some styling upgrades are certainly in the works. That’s gonna take some serious planning to avoid shutting down both bathrooms because they have shared water supply plumbing.

Oh yeah, also have a shed rebuild for a brew kitchen to do. Are we having fun yet?
Nice job!

Back