Show your DIY Projects

That's great. I love it. Nice work dude.

Interesting. I'm not sure I care enough when the Canadian Tire 3 minutes away sells jug refills for $2 but I love the concept.
You know, we can also help program an arduino to just blink a bunch of lights, make it look like it's doing something useful. Maybe even click some relays?

OOh I used to have something like that on the server rack at my first sysadmin job to stop teachers from touching it.

Backsplash tile is up in the kitchen. Gonna wait until grouting is done tomorrow to photograph it. That'll be the last detail in the kitchen. Then we'll go back and repair a couple boo-boos in the dining room where I scratched a few things doing the kitchen, and I'm done with interior remodeling for a while. Cluckingham Palace is coming along nicely. Made screens with 1/2" hardware cloth to cover the windows. Didn't figure the little fiberglass screens would slow down a coon or possum very much. Also set two of 4 posts for the run. Should be putting up the netting soon. Bit chilly out today, though. Might get the 2nd screen finished and call it a day.

They'll probably see the tiles and quartz counter tops when they quit laying and become roasted chickens. :oops:
Isn't that what all chickens aspire to?
I have heard that they regularly dream about flying

415523478_10159788160823359_7158934815133498109_n.jpg
415543350_10159788160858359_5666543389204807279_n.jpg

A little before/after comparison. Tiling done and grouted. Last detail in the job. Glad it's over, LOL. This job precluded a lot of brewing this year. I'm going to add a couple small shelves on either side of the window now that the backsplash is completed. That'll give the missus a place to put a plant or two and break up the rather plain looking area around the sink.

A little before/after comparison. Tiling done and grouted. Last detail in the job. Glad it's over, LOL. This job precluded a lot of brewing this year. I'm going to add a couple small shelves on either side of the window now that the backsplash is completed. That'll give the missus a place to put a plant or two and break up the rather plain looking area around the sink.
Wow, that turned out great!

In the 'before' image, the vinyl flooring is identical to some I installed a few remodels ago, in a different house. And it cracked like that too.

you might miss the table but love the pantry, that's a must in any kitchen

Looks real good!

Wow, that turned out great!

In the 'before' image, the vinyl flooring is identical to some I installed a few remodels ago, in a different house. And it cracked like that too.
That was very cheap vinyl sheet left over from where we'd started a facelift YEARS ago, just a couple years after we got married. But just as we started that, we wound up getting custody of three grandchildren, the youngest being 2 months old, the oldest 5. At the time, there were 8 of us living in the house, so putting any room out of commission, especially the kitchen, was not an option. Needless to say, renovations came to a screeching halt, and I just slapped that cheap stuff down not even thinking it would be more than a couple months before the kids would be back with their mom (my eldest daughter). Here we are about to celebrate the youngest's 16th birthday, and just now finishing up the remodeling. I have a lot more time on my hands now, however, being retired and bored, so it's a little easier to schedule them and renovation projects go a bit faster. Fortunately, this time, relocation of the fridge made me look closer under the kitchen floor and find some very serious support issues that we repaired before we restarted the renovation. I guess all things happen for a reason.

you might miss the table but love the pantry, that's a must in any kitchen
Yeah, the pantry cabinet has a twin that can't be seen in the photo, but to the immediate right of where the missus was standing when she took these photos, which is where the original dining room was. They were actually already installed in the Before photo, as we'd just finished the dining room renovation when she took that photo. The house was built with a separate formal living room as was the style in the 70's, for which we had absolutely no use other than our PC room, and we really didn't it like being the first thing seen when coming in the front door. Home offices tend to be chaotic with all the paperwork and stuff from day-to-day life. At least one desk (mine usually) will be a total disaster. After the middle grandchild moved out, we commandeered her room for our office. We then removed a wall and combined the living room with the dining room so we now have a 23 foot long mess hall (as I call it). We put the two pantry cabinets in that end as well as added three more cabinets (two wall mount, one base) around the fridge, and removed the soffit in the kitchen so I could use 42" wall cabinets.

All totaled, we gained nearly 60 cu ft of storage space by eliminating wasted space in the kitchen and adding the two pantry cabinets. We can still put a small table in the area closest to the kitchen and make it more or less a breakfast nook, which will likely happen when we're finally empty nest. In another life, I'd have been sitting at the little table having my morning coffee and reading a newspaper. The newspaper's on my phone now, and I tend to sit out on the deck if weather will permit.

As I said, renovations were rather counterproductive for brewing this past year. Starting in March, these photos show where most of my time went.

Hallway: added attic ladder, removed old carpet and parquet flooring, removed popcorn (acoustic) ceiling, added chair railing and painted
B84EF831-0607-4564-8E3B-6E96FACA93E9.jpeg

Foyer: same as hallway sans attic ladder
18D9F4D3-6E89-4127-A228-E51C4AD5F5A3.jpeg

LR/DR merged; added pantry cabinets to DR, added o/h lighting and 3-way switching, removed acoustic ceiling and painted, widened doorway to kitchen, removed archaic trim from doorway. Refinished mahogany brickabrack stand (made in Japan before WWII) and added desk between pantry cabinets
A97BB79D-85B9-4036-AD61-CE4853BBC047.jpeg

411C40E6-30B3-4594-916B-799DD9DB0B0A.jpeg

Stairway to basement: removed plywood and carpet from walls, replaced with sheet rock and replaced stair tread carpet. Added trim boards and moved handrail to the left side for better support. Also sheet rocked basement side of stairwell and storage area under stairs (no photo). Handrail and post on right were done in 2007 when den was remodeled (by us as well).
7FE6365E-231A-460A-A6F0-D2C654B43A4A.jpeg

Kitchen: complete remodel, new cabinets, relocation of fridge (opposite side) and stove (15” to right of original location). New tile backsplash and quartz tops to replace dated and worn Formica laminate. Replumbed sink and dishwasher and fridge water supply

AB5F40AF-9D11-4ADD-BAC5-C446AFB5E1D6.jpeg
6FD1035C-5097-4F99-979F-F46BE95E2AF0.jpeg
DA0B3BB1-1AF7-497A-88ED-95B2608D43B2.jpeg
276E8D9D-611D-4165-882D-A1EB3B9C1584.jpeg

Put new LVT flooring and crown molding throughout all remodeling projects

I was a very busy boy last year. We’d originally planned a trip DownUnder, but airfare got stupid expensive so we invested in the house instead. All this work is what swayed us from moving.

Forgot one. We also added a gravel parking area to replace the muddy spot where I used to park my truck
159A7928-DB8D-4D8B-B75E-0F8E4360F81B.jpeg

Out of all the work, the only part I contracted out was the tile, simply because I didn’t think the kitchen would be a good place to show off my lack of skill with tile. All the rest was me and the missus with a little help 1 day a week for a couple months from a friend that needed work and happened to be in the area for his daughter’s school.

Still have the bathrooms to do which will be major remodeling to increase the size of the shower in the master bath and make the plumbing in both more accessible and maintenance friendly. Some styling upgrades are certainly in the works. That’s gonna take some serious planning to avoid shutting down both bathrooms because they have shared water supply plumbing.

Oh yeah, also have a shed rebuild for a brew kitchen to do. Are we having fun yet?

Forgot one. We also added a gravel parking area to replace the muddy spot where I used to park my truck View attachment 27943

Out of all the work, the only part I contracted out was the tile, simply because I didn’t think the kitchen would be a good place to show off my lack of skill with tile. All the rest was me and the missus with a little help 1 day a week for a couple months from a friend that needed work and happened to be in the area for his daughter’s school.

Still have the bathrooms to do which will be major remodeling to increase the size of the shower in the master bath and make the plumbing in both more accessible and maintenance friendly. Some styling upgrades are certainly in the works. That’s gonna take some serious planning to avoid shutting down both bathrooms because they have shared water supply plumbing.

Oh yeah, also have a shed rebuild for a brew kitchen to do. Are we having fun yet?
Hm. That looks real nice.
Will you adopt me? I can brew! ;)

Back