Nottingham Yeast Cells

If pitching a bit less makes a better beer (and I’m not saying it does, but it might) then just throw the rest of the yeast out. In other words, I’d rather a better tasting beer and waste a little yeast than using the full pack and being a bit underwhelmed. Again, this is all an open discussion, and certainly dependent on yeast strain.
Define "better". Some beers want more esters, but most beers really don't. An under pitch is never the best course of action. A proper pitch is.

Define "better". Some beers want more esters, but most beers really don't. An under pitch is never the best course of action. A proper pitch is.
Yeah, that’s why I believe this might be strain dependent. An overpitch of an English Ale yeast in a Bitter, for example, would be something I would try and avoid, whereas overpitching 001/1056/BRY97/US05 in a WCIPA may not matter much.
I agree about proper pitch rate. I’m not suggesting under-pitching at all.

Again, on a homebrew level, it’s all speculation.

I know this has probably been beaten to death, but I am brewing my first stout. Just 4 gallons and it will have an OG of 1.043 roughly. I planned on pitching Lallamand's Nottingham with rehydration. I know it says >5B cells per gram, but what is anyone's experience. At 75% that's near 2.5 packet (26 grams). With rehydration I assume it will be a bit higher viability, but how much? I don't want to over pitch, so I thought I'd just go with 2 packs 22G on this first run. Does this sound reasonable?
I just did an American Brown Ale and used 1 pack Nottingham and 1 Pack US-04. They pretty much have the same temperature range. But I’d use 2 packs.
might want to heck this out.
I know this has probably been beaten to death, but I am brewing my first stout. Just 4 gallons and it will have an OG of 1.043 roughly. I planned on pitching Lallamand's Nottingham with rehydration. I know it says >5B cells per gram, but what is anyone's experience. At 75% that's near 2.5 packet (26 grams). With rehydration I assume it will be a bit higher viability, but how much? I don't want to over pitch, so I thought I'd just go with 2 packs 22G on this first run. Does this sound reasonable?
Recently I pitched 1 pack of Nottingham and 1 pack of US-04 in a Brown Ale. They have about the same temperature range. I’d pitch 2 packs.
check out this link on yeast pitching
https://brulosophy.com/2024/01/22/exbeeriment-yeast-pitch-rate-underpitch-vs-overpitch-in-a-saison/

I just did an American Brown Ale and used 1 pack Nottingham and 1 Pack US-04. They pretty much have the same temperature range. But I’d use 2 packs.

Recently I pitched 1 pack of Nottingham and 1 pack of US-04 in a Brown Ale. They have about the same temperature range. I’d pitch 2 packs.
https://brulosophy.com/2024/01/22/exbeeriment-yeast-pitch-rate-underpitch-vs-overpitch-in-a-saison/
2 packs for 4 gallons? Totally unnecessary.

That link is entirely irrelevant. Liquid yeast is a different matter from dry yeast, and... they couldn't tell the difference between a normal pitch (NOT an "underpitch") and an overpitch... surprise surprise. And 20 tasters isn't enough to prove anything one way or the other anyway. Shall I go on? ;)

2 packs in 4 gallons, or even 5 or 6 gallons, is certainly an overpitch. I would use only 1 pack in even 10 gallons. Same performance, but save a few bucks!!!!

Other than that...

Welcome to the forum! Truly, sincerely. Sorry I come off as an ass sometimes, I kind of am. :D

Welcome to Brewer's Friend! Ask a question and twenty people will offer 25 opinions, often conflicting.

So overpitch changes outcomes in some ways, as does underpitch, indeed as does 'normal' pitch. As the brewer-in-charge, you get to pick!

I think more important here is mixing yeasts. Conventional wisdom is that one variety will overcome the other and dominate. I can't say if that is always, sometimes or never true, but it's something to consider.

Please ket us know how it turns out!

Over the years I have come to learn that yeast pitch rates are a bit like hand grenades. You just need to get close, don't sweat it. 2 packs in 5 gallons of ale is like 2 hand grenades, you're getting close to a lager pitch at 2 packs.

S04 likes to come out of the fermenter when it's over pitched, I generally back off the pitch with that yeast or have a lot of headspace to avoid the puking of yeast.

Over the years I have come to learn that yeast pitch rates are a bit like hand grenades. You just need to get close, don't sweat it. 2 packs in 5 gallons of ale is like 2 hand grenades, you're getting close to a lager pitch at 2 packs.

S04 likes to come out of the fermenter when it's over pitched, I generally back off the pitch with that yeast or have a lot of headspace to avoid the puking of yeast.
or horseshoes...

Maybe using Carboys….never happened with my stainless fermenter and air lock. (Just saying)

You trying out a little co pitch action?

Maybe this is why you pitched two packs?

Both English yeast strains so not sure on the benefits there?

You do you man as long as your having fun.

As above you can get away with on pack on that

Back