Kegs are calling me

BarbarianBrewer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
This weekend I will be bottling 7 gallons (26 L) of Bunyip 2.0. Before that can happen I have to clean 6+ dozen beer bottles :(. Cleaning bottles hasn't really bothered me for most of my homebrewing career but, in the past year or so my wrists have been trying hard to convince me that it was time to consider kegging. While my brain still thinks my wrists are a couple of wimps who should just suck it up and get to work, it has conceded to work on a plan.

Here's the plan:
1) I already have a beer fridge, so I'm set there.
2) Rather than install tap handles through the door, I'll follow Josh's lead and just use a Picnic Tap 2.1 on each keg.
3) To save on equipment costs I'll reduce my 7 gallon batch size down to 5 gallons so so one batch fits in one keg.
4) I will need a CO2 tank. I assume a 5 lb (2.3 kg) tank would be sufficient? I found a place nearby that will fill (not exchange) a 5 lb CO2 tank for $20.
5) I will need a regulator. Any recommendations? Any brands to avoid?
6) I will need two 5 gallon corny kegs; probably used.
6a) Should I plan replace anything immediately or only if a problem develops?

Lastly, what am I forgetting? What should I rethink?

used cornies are good enough. as long as they hold pressure. get a recondition kit with all the orings when you buy them and just replace all of them.

kegco regs are really good. I have like 6 of them, never had one give me trouble,

look into EVAbarrier beer line. worth every penny.

Awesome to hear! I just have cheap mini regulators since i basically only use co2 to push out once the natural co2 is gone. I do have a northern brewer tank and regulator but can’t say how good it works since I’ve not found anyone to fill with an exchange. The picnic tap 2.1 is awesome not having to deal with beer line is nice.

Nothing wrong with used kegs. they might not be as pretty as new, but can be a lot cheaper, especially if you can find them on marketplace or Craigslist. A new set of O rings is around $5, and I've seen rebuild kits (O rings, poppets and posts) for around $30. I started kegging last June, and have been using a Taprite dual regulator with zero issues. The dual regulator lets me burst carb one keg while keeping the other three at serving pressure using a three way manifold..

Nothing wrong with used kegs. they might not be as pretty as new, but can be a lot cheaper, especially if you can find them on marketplace or Craigslist. A new set of O rings is around $5, and I've seen rebuild kits (O rings, poppets and posts) for around $30. I started kegging last June, and have been using a Taprite dual regulator with zero issues. The dual regulator lets me burst carb one keg while keeping the other three at serving pressure using a three way manifold..
Multi reg is the way to go for sure. I have a dual reg on the tank. One reg feeds 3 more regs for the kegs. The other one is used to purge and blow back tubing during brew day.

When you say "dual regulator" you mean a three dial regulator where one dial is for the CO2 tank and the other dial is for two or more kegs?
1705708977703.png

As a minimum, consider a dual regulator. This has a high-pressure gauge for the tank, letting you know when it'll be running out. Although, you can also tell how full tank is by its weight. The weight of the empty tank is stamped on the outside of the tank along with it's certification date.

I also suggest an aluminum tank. They cost a little bit more than a steel tank, but they are not only lighter but they are rust free. Especially if you don't have to exchange it.

Keep an eye in the craigslist/nextdoor/facebook marketplace world, used stuff comes up all the time.

Go with ball lock. Any keg can be converted from (or to) pin lock by replacing the posts. And some kegs are taller and thinner, others shorter and wider. If you have vertical space, the thinner ones are an advantage.

What's missing? Hose. I use red hose for all gas. And fittings, a bunch of picnic taps (one per keg) and some gray fittings for gas. And extras so you can transfer directly into the keg (in via the liquid tube, vent via the gas post.

Technically, the co2 high pressure gauge will only confirm it is empty. co2 is stored as a liquid, so that gauge will read 750psi (plus or minus) even with an ounce of co2 left

Consider getting a 10 lb Co2 tank, getting it filled won't be double, at least it shouldn't.
I actually have two 10 pounders, one for the keg fridge and one in the brewery.
I use it to move liquids around when cleaning sanitizing kegs, my back is like your wrists...
I have an extra keg that I keep sanitizer in, so convenient

Yes , a 10 and with a 5 pounder work tank is the way to go. I even use a paint ball size tank with just a short 1/4 " hose on the end for a few chores.

This weekend I will be bottling 7 gallons (26 L) of Bunyip 2.0. Before that can happen I have to clean 6+ dozen beer bottles :(. Cleaning bottles hasn't really bothered me for most of my homebrewing career but, in the past year or so my wrists have been trying hard to convince me that it was time to consider kegging. While my brain still thinks my wrists are a couple of wimps who should just suck it up and get to work, it has conceded to work on a plan.

Here's the plan:
2) Rather than install tap handles through the door, I'll follow Josh's lead and just use a Picnic Tap 2.1 on each keg.
3) To save on equipment costs I'll reduce my 7 gallon batch size down to 5 gallons so so one batch fits in one keg.
4) I will need a CO2 tank. I assume a 5 lb (2.3 kg) tank would be sufficient? I found a place nearby that will fill (not exchange) a 5 lb CO2 tank for $20.

I feel for you. I invested in kegging after my 3rd 5 gallon batch. Enough of that....... Get your keg on!

Technically, the co2 high pressure gauge will only confirm it is empty. co2 is stored as a liquid, so that gauge will read 750psi (plus or minus) even with an ounce of co2 left
Surprisingly (at least to me, for the reasons you state) it definitely shows when the tank is nearly empty with lowered tank pressures. No change from 100% to 10% (ish), then a definite decline in tank pressure.

Surprisingly (at least to me, for the reasons you state) it definitely shows when the tank is nearly empty with lowered tank pressures. No change from 100% to 10% (ish), then a definite decline in tank pressure.
Ya, once the liquid is gone, it still has 750psi in it. Takes a bit for that to get used up.

Here's the plan:

1st Herm and now You what in the world is going on :oops: :D!

Good luck on your kegging endeavours man I'm sure we will all be there to help spend your money lol.

You won't look back .

1st Herm and now You what in the world is going on :oops: :D!

Good luck on your kegging endeavours man I'm sure we will all be there to help spend your money lol.

You won't look back .
Herm is just one of those "internet influencers" you hear about :)

Actually it was just me coming to the realization how much wrist pain (probably carpal tunnel or other repetitive stress injury) was impacting my enjoyment of home brewing.

Back