I brewed today!

Well, that's news to me. Somehow, this induction ready tri-ply stainless works great for me. Heavy duty, quality pot. 22 Qt Tramontina Stainless Steel Covered Stockpot, Induction Ready, 3ply Base, Clear Lid https://a.co/d/c3KIgu2
Likely has a ferrous steel plate in the bottom of it specifically for the purpose of getting hot. Note the seam around the outside of the bottom. That's a sure sign of a composite bottom that likely has a plain ferrous plate in it that gets hot. You'll find a magnet won't stick to the side, but will sorta stick to the bottom. Put a magnet on the side of your refrigerator, then try the same magnet on the bottom of the pot. You'll find it a bit easier to remove because of the stainless layer between the magnet and the ferrous steel.

Oh, and didn't mean to imply the pot was no good. Just saying pure stainless is not magnetic. Gotta have something else behind it that is.

Likely has a ferrous steel plate in the bottom of it specifically for the purpose of getting hot. Note the seam around the outside of the bottom. That's a sure sign of a composite bottom that likely has a plain ferrous plate in it that gets hot. You'll find a magnet won't stick to the side, but will sorta stick to the bottom. Put a magnet on the side of your refrigerator, then try the same magnet on the bottom of the pot. You'll find it a bit easier to remove because of the stainless layer between the magnet and the ferrous steel.

Yep. I was unaware of the benefits when I bought it for my regular stovetop. Something worked in my favor for a change. :)

Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 9.30.22 AM.jpg

Oh how I lust for an aluminum magnet.

In a pot, the ferrous disk can go inside aluminum too.
Yup. I've seen double bottom aluminum pots too. Just a matter of extruding a plate of steel into it. Stainless has a better heat transfer, and no risk of corrosion between the disk and the exterior metal of the pot if the unthinkable happens and a top-quality pot starts leaking at the seams, literally. Most double bottom cookware is designed to help avoid scorching or damaging the no-stick surface that is found in most cookware these days.

I'm no cookware expert. I've just worked in factories that make the stuff that's used to make the pots. In fact, ferrous steel, when heated, is not magnetic either. That's one of the ways a blacksmith can tell when a piece of metal is hot enough to quench.

Yup. I've seen double bottom aluminum pots too. Just a matter of extruding a plate of steel into it. Stainless has a better heat transfer, and no risk of corrosion between the disk and the exterior metal of the pot if the unthinkable happens and a top-quality pot starts leaking at the seams, literally. Most double bottom cookware is designed to help avoid scorching or damaging the no-stick surface that is found in most cookware these days.

I'm no cookware expert. I've just worked in factories that make the stuff that's used to make the pots. In fact, ferrous steel, when heated, is not magnetic either. That's one of the ways a blacksmith can tell when a piece of metal is hot enough to quench.
I suspect that aluminum has better thermal conductivity than stainless steel by an order of magnitude, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

I suspect that aluminum has better thermal conductivity than stainless steel by an order of magnitude, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
I'm guessing too since stainless is more dense than aluminium?

If I think of it like this - the malabilty of copper and aluminium seem similar :confused:...

Anyhow herd some weird things from brewing in aluminum Wether or not it's safe or not that green tinge thing.

I'm guessing too since stainless is more dense than aluminium?

If I think of it like this - the malabilty of copper and aluminium seem similar :confused:...

Anyhow herd some weird things from brewing in aluminum Wether or not it's safe or not that green tinge thing.

Shouldn’t be getting green from aluminum unless it’s alloyed with copper (bronze or brass, can’t remember which), but you are very correct to avoid low ph liquids in aluminum, particularly hot aluminum. We have a high calcium carbonate content (hard water, high ph) which is also very reactive with aluminum leaving black staining and salt rings. Aluminum simply isn’t a good idea as you get farther away from neutral ph (7.0). Alloying with manganes or magnesium can help, but won’t prevent. Pewter (lead/aluminum alloy) is especially bad It’s what drove so many to madness in Europe before glass became affordable for drinkware in the Middle Ages. The ales would leach the lead from the mugs they all drank from in times when ale was supposedly safer to drink than water.

Shouldn’t be getting green from aluminum unless it’s alloyed with copper (bronze or brass, can’t remember which), but you are very correct to avoid low ph liquids in aluminum, particularly hot aluminum. We have a high calcium carbonate content (hard water, high ph) which is also very reactive with aluminum leaving black staining and salt rings. Aluminum simply isn’t a good idea as you get farther away from neutral ph (7.0). Alloying with manganes or magnesium can help, but won’t prevent. Pewter (lead/aluminum alloy) is especially bad It’s what drove so many to madness in Europe before glass became affordable for drinkware in the Middle Ages. The ales would leach the lead from the mugs they all drank from in times when ale was supposedly safer to drink than water.
Oh yeah man I saw some dodgey Homebrew aluminium kettles a whiles ago on the interwebs that made me cringe and wonder what the beer was like :p.

I think it was when I was looking at kettle options aluminum pots big ones are cheaper than the stainless so it can be alluring to a green gilled Homie brewer...

Oh man my old man hated Aluminum he said never use it for cooking even for wrapping sandwiches he was dead set against it in our house growing up along with fluorided toothpaste ect yeah you know the type :rolleyes:.

I guess some scepticism is a safe bet in life ;)

I got it all in there. It was thick so I added more hot water so I could stir it. It worked out!
Yeah, I'd call that a REAL dough in. o_O Nearly made chunky biscuits. Must have had the consistency of oatmeal. What was your final density? That must have been fun to stir.

It was just like Oatmeal. Didn't need to go to the gym after stirring it every 20 minutes.
When you have one that thick, do you sparge more than once for efficiency? Do you batch sparge, or fly sparge? Just learning for future reference in case I ever decide to do something really thick to make a big beer.

Back