I brewed today!

1698526860197.jpeg

My son (pictured) and I had the privilege of brewing my German Pils on a 10 barrel system at StormKing brew pub in Minneapolis. They graciously offered to brew it after it won BOS in the Minnesota State Fair. The head brewer John was so accommodating and it was one my favorite brew days for sure. It should be on tap around Thanksgiving or so. I’m pretty excited to try it when it’s done!

View attachment 27075
My son (pictured) and I had the privilege of brewing my German Pils on a 10 barrel system at StormKing brew pub in Minneapolis. They graciously offered to brew it after it won BOS in the Minnesota State Fair. The head brewer John was so accommodating and it was one my favorite brew days for sure. It should be on tap around Thanksgiving or so. I’m pretty excited to try it when it’s done!
Wow so cool hope it turns out great!

They graciously offered to brew it after it won BOS in the Minnesota State Fair.
Attaboy HVM! Very cool I am sure and an honor! Double bonus! Me...I just did a 6 gallon batch of cream ale on my home brew home brewing rig....I'm taking a dinner break at the moment before clean up.

image.jpg
I just pitched yeast on my latest batch of Amber Ale, hitting O.G. and volume numbers spot on according to the recipe (https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1426347/amber-ale). Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast is now in charge of turning my wort into beer. In 3 weeks I will see where things are. Cheers.
Edited to add that I made use of my new The Brew Bag today, and it worked flawlessly.

Last edited:
View attachment 27075
That is a dream come true for most homebrewers! You get all the benefits of brewing your beer in a professional brewery, but don't have any of the headaches of running a brewery! And, on top of that, you get to brew with your son!

That is a dream come true for most homebrewers! You get all the benefits of brewing your beer in a professional brewery, but don't have any of the headaches of running a brewery! And, on top of that, you get to brew with your son!
I agree 100%. It was really fun with my son. StormKing was really great to work with.

I agree 100%. It was really fun with my son. StormKing was really great to work with.
You gunna get a chance to taste it on Draught?

If so would love your thoughts on it compared to your HB version.

Did you have to change the recipe much to dial it up to the commercial scale.

I'm imaging with a pilsner style it'd be more process...

You gunna get a chance to taste it on Draught?

If so would love your thoughts on it compared to your HB version.

Did you have to change the recipe much to dial it up to the commercial scale.

I'm imaging with a pilsner style it'd be more process...
The head brewer, John, wanted to get as close as he could to the original beer, so he managed to get Barke Pils malt and the same hops. The difference between the two beers is the yeast and to a smaller degree the water. I used Wyeast 2124 and the brewery isn't set up for liquid yeast (yeast brink, etc.), plus liquid yeast is very expensive compared to dry. So we pitched 34/70, which is a close sub to 2124. 34/70 is a little drier than 2124 to me, but I tasted his Czech Pils he made with 34/70 and it was excellent. His water is pretty soft and I used RO. Overall, I thought it was a really good adaptation of the beer.

The process was different, but I think it the results should be similar. I step mash and they do single infusion. He pitched at 7C (44-45F) which is similar to the original.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to have it on tap. I'm really excited about tasting it. This is the first lager I ever scaled up (most breweries shy away from scaling up lagers), so I'm pretty stoked!

Hi my name is Craig, it has been 78 days since I last brewed.
Black IPA in the fermenter!
I intended to pitch VOSS, but didn't have any, so I pitched US-05 instead.
First time I used the CF chiller to get down to 20C, had the water on full, and had to throttle the pump back a bit
1699204083443.png

First time I used the CF chiller to get down to 20C, had the water on full, and had to throttle the pump back a bit
View attachment 27169
Hiii Craig!

View attachment 27169
Great to see you filling that fermenter in situ!

Saves the Sphincter valve even at 20kg.

That's a tidy little brew set-up oh I'd love me some vinyl flooring like that in my patio brewery great for spillage...

Great to see you filling that fermenter in situ!

Saves the Sphincter valve even at 20kg.

That's a tidy little brew set-up oh I'd love me some vinyl flooring like that in my patio brewery great for spillage...
Guess what the very first purchase for the new brew house is gonna be. Gonna cover the floor with sheet vinyl before I even bother to start putting the walls back up. That’ll protect the floor and foundation while I rebuild the entire shed.

Guess what the very first purchase for the new brew house is gonna be. Gonna cover the floor with sheet vinyl before I even bother to start putting the walls back up. That’ll protect the floor and foundation while I rebuild the entire shed.
My solution is -
Just don’t spill! So far, so good, but I hope I didn’t just jinx myself. In any case, through all of the years working in the kitchen, I am not a spiller. And I fully intend to keep it that way.

My solution is -
Just don’t spill! So far, so good, but I hope I didn’t just jinx myself. In any case, through all of the years working in the kitchen, I am not a spiller. And I fully intend to keep it that way.
I'm a Spiller lol.

Think it was just last week I let the cleaner out on the brewery floor and gave it a good scrub.

Then hot rinse

I like getting the Gurney out and giving everything a good high pressure clean down including bar :)

I need to do this regardless BTW I've got bloody Chiclens pooping on the patio and a 3 year old oh and an adult version of kid (ME)

My wife reminded me yesterday she's looking after two dependents :D

It's that time of the year!
We'll be brewing Snowflake IIPA today.
Clocking in at ~10% and over 100 ibu.
2 row, Vienna, flaked Oats, Wheat and Rice.
Bittered with nugget and a load of hops in the finish and hop stand.
There's a whole story behind it, but that's for another day!

Last edited:
It's that time of the year!
We'll be brewing Snowflake IIPA today.
Clocking in at ~10% and over 100 ibu.
2 row, Vienna, flaked Oats, Wheat and Rice.
Bittered with nugget and a loaf of hops in the finish and hop stand.
There's a whole story behind it, but that's for another day!
The name of that reminds me of something that probably belongs in the TV thread. If you’ve never seen it, look up Snowflake Boot Camp. We’re talking belly laughing funny. I just wish there was another season.

Back on track though, gotta get some stout in the fermenter. Think I’m gonna get some lager yeast for the next SMaSH before I run it.

Back