I brewed today!

@Mark D Pirate I recon my throw together ale will come out in the amber department. Good luck with the comp some ways off better hope you can lay off them beers till then. I've only got two weekends left untill my Como and that berry saison is just holding,out yep I'm a guilty sampler lol.

APA can go pretty dark mate , not quite that dark though
Even in a comp appearance is only worth 3 points so there's 47 others up for grabs , you really have to try hard to beat my last score (SECRET) for the APA i messed up entered wrong bottles as a german Pils

APA can go pretty dark mate , not quite that dark though
Even in a comp appearance is only worth 3 points so there's 47 others up for grabs , you really have to try hard to beat my last score (SECRET) for the APA i messed up entered wrong bottles as a german Pils
Classic at least your seeing the funny side of it Mark. Hey what was the SRM of your brew today mines clocking in at 12.8 with the change to brown sugar instead of raw?

SRM ? i use EBC mostly ...12.8 in SRM ( Mosher )
Even the judges had a good laugh , 1 knew who brewed it as soon as he tasted it as he knows my house brew well and gets bottles for feedback regularly
He likes beer and free beer is even better !

Dear Mary mother of god , what have I done ....RIS was supposed to come in at 1.090 and came in over 1.10 ....take a deep breath and work out actual liquid volume in FV before assuming I'm a brewing Messiah

We rushed it through the chiller and drunky pants me forgot to add whirlfloc ....there will be crud in FV so volume will hopefully correlate to OG .... Semi comp beer as has to get past a full professor of microbiology and certified judge before being allowed in the barrel .....how much to dilute is the $64k question

Dear Mary mother of god , what have I done ....RIS was supposed to come in at 1.090 and came in over 1.10 ....take a deep breath and work out actual liquid volume in FV before assuming I'm a brewing Messiah
Double brew day eh Mark? I tip my hat to you:).

Plenty of countries use the metric system even on your side of the equator ....you're about the only hold outs buddy !
We ARE the only holdout. The Brits may talk of pints and pour pints and weigh themselves in stone but when it comes down to it, they're metric. I have no idea why we're not outside of ridiculous thinking about barriers to entry and a certain segment of the population's inability to multiply or divide by ten.

Carter made a push for it, remember? We said, "Sorry, that's too difficult!" and the effort died.

But working with 64th of an inch really is a PITA ...i wasn't meaning to restart the whole rant over metric again .

Got a message saying gravity on the RIS has settled at 1.082 or 1.086 depending whether you trust hydrometer or refractometer ....wonder why it changed so drastically ? Still a very big beer

Most of the fabrication / machining work i've done with steel is only accurate to maybe 0.020 " or about half a mm where it matters and a lot more than that where it's not critical
Built my last few engines and tolerances were tight there ! Big heavy cast iron boat anchors

Ive done anvit of metal fabrication small time more back yard type stuff but thing i like about metal if a tight fit is only a hammer blow away:p.

ok back to the thread, I brewed today, what a day not in tuned with the old ways of brewing too slow but managed to get it done took 45 minutes to boil lol but its in the fermenter Honey Red ale will see how it turns out, looked kind of thick and murky

I have thick and murky now, too. Brewed it a couple days ago. Supposed to be a SMaSH, but they were one ounce short on Lemondrop. So I used Cascade instead. It's a good summer ale. Golden Promise for the malt.

Finally got my Festbrew done yesterday! It went well, just 10gal not 20 and one beer at a time not 2 is much simpler. When I get new controllers hooked up 20gal days will go much smoother.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/463257/head-first-octoberfest-vi
Lightened up the malt bill this year and added a homegrown hop for finishing.
Will be getting a start from Laura of this plant for my own this year:D

Back