Homebrew competitors

WesBrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Well my first entry in a homebrew competition is in the books. The First Coast Cup. I didn't have high expectations since both of my entries were first time brews and first time for the styles. I was surprised when my name popped up for First Place! Really excited to take home the gold in Amber bitter european beers with an Altbier. I scored a 40.
This has inspired me to enter some of my future beers in out of state competitions to see how they do. I know they aren't for everyone but All in All, a good experience and informative. Anyone entering some of the upcoming competitions?

Last edited:
The other beer i was just hoping to make a decent score on. I had brewed a couple of Kolsch biers and wanted to do something with the yeast. What the hell, Schwartz. I made a good beer but i could tell it wasn't as clean as a lager. also used some roasted malt for coloring which i regretted because it showed up a little in a beer that is pretty delicate. I got a 30. Not too shabby.

I started competing in 2011. The first beer I entered was described as “painfull”. I was tempted email the judge and tell him to at least spell correctly when ripping my shitty beer. In 2012 I got a BOS and a couple of golds and now I’m a competition junkie.

I love competing, especially when I win. Keep entering competitions, it will push you to improve. When you score a 40 right out of the hole, you have great potential. Keep it up and good luck in future competitions.

I have thought about it. But with working 65+ hours a week. Barely have time to brew lol

Awesome Stuff WesBrew!
Mate you just inspired me to enter the Queensland A Amature brewers comp.
Absolutely, go for it!!
I’m going to continue brewing what I want. If it turns out good I’ll fill a few bottles from the keg and find a competition to enter on the AHA website

Congratulations!
I personally am uninterested in competitions, but I totally get those who are keen about them.
Thanks for sharing!
I use the BJCP guidelines to self critique my brews. I do this to consider what changes I need to make for improvements. I am my own worst critic!

I have great respect for beer judges, and I love to hear when folks score well. But I have no interest in competing. I know ehen a beer is good and when one needs improvement. That's enough for me. Congrats to all of you that place well.

I totally missed the second scorecard on the Schwartz. I got a 32 on that one. comments were all on par. not quite to style but pretty good beer.
I have a couple bottles of stout and some ipa i could throw at this upcoming Memphis comp.

Last edited:
I am my toughest critic on my homebrews. The second toughest is my wife and then those I share my beer with. Congrats to all that do compete. It's just not for me.

Which part? lol

I haul fuel, so summer is our busy time
The 65 hours a week part...:rolleyes:
Trucking means some long hours.
Years ago I worked at a long haul truck yard when they'd leave our depo I wouldn't see them back for another week.
Company did the big triangle around Aus Sydney- Perth - Darwin as well as brissy.
Not for me man.

The 65 hours a week part...:rolleyes:
Trucking means some long hours.
Years ago I worked at a long haul truck yard when they'd leave our depo I wouldn't see them back for another week.
Company did the big triangle around Aus Sydney- Perth - Darwin as well as brissy.
Not for me man.
I am local, so home everyday. But still work 10-12 hours a day..... sometimes 6 days a week

I am local, so home everyday. But still work 10-12 hours a day..... sometimes 6 days a week

That sucks, but I bet that overtime pay is nice to see in the bank account!
I'm salaried so everthing after 40 hours is out of the goodness of my heart. :cool:

Back