Brewzilla Remote Controller

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Planning this as I go, but going to make it totally modular, and with a long enough cable to mount the controller somewhere convenient (not on the machine). I received these the other day, wish I could have found these made somewhere other than they were, but it is what it is...
Stay tuned!

20210525_193231.jpg

Planning this as I go, but going to make it totally modular, and with a long enough cable to mount the controller somewhere convenient (not on the machine). I received these the other day, wish I could have found these made somewhere other than they were, but it is what it is...
Stay tuned!

View attachment 15960
AH! So you can adjust the unit without bending or kneeling down? - You should totally patent it and sell it to Kegland!

These arrived yesterday
20210604_181935.jpg

And this arrived today. I have never soldered wires before. I have soldered countless copper pipes, but no wires. Will have to do some sample connections before getting into it.

20210604_182144.jpg

These arrived yesterday
View attachment 16058

And this arrived today. I have never soldered wires before. I have soldered countless copper pipes, but no wires. Will have to do some sample connections before getting into it.

View attachment 16059
Happy to offer remote lessons Craig. Like plumbing, it is all technique. Remember that solder is glue, not a conductor. That means, make a good electrical and mechanical connection first, then freeze it in place with solder.

Happy to offer remote lessons Craig. Like plumbing, it is all technique. Remember that solder is glue, not a conductor. That means, make a good electrical and mechanical connection first, then freeze it in place with solder.
Thanks Don, I checked all connections for conductivity, and all is good. I have a few more tasks to complete, and one more part to purchase, but the two patch cables are all soldered up and heat shrinked! Just showing one cable here. I have seen different ways of doing this, most of them cut the wiring ribbon that goes between the circuit board, and the controller. More to come.
20210605_151008.jpg
20210605_152158.jpg

Yeah, those look good.

Functionality!
Almost there...
20210606_135754.jpg

20210606_135613.jpg

Is that a replacement panel or the original?
If replacement, did you disconnect the original?

Is that a replacement panel or the original?
If replacement, did you disconnect the original?
That is the original panel. The connection is completely modular. I can easily put it back to the factory configuration, I did not cut the ribbon. I still need to sort out the bulkhead connectors in the box and the filler piece for the panel opening.

Neat, this was just to make the controller more accessible?

Yes, I have been looking at ways to do this for a while now, but I am having some issues with my back, and want to lower the machine to make it easier. The trick then is reading the damn screen without and a sleeping bag and a pillow.

I was thinking about making a custom Periscope with mirrors, but this allows me to sit at the card table in the garage and dink around with the controls.

That is a solid idea. I found the positioning annoying when I tested one back during the winter.

F'ING AWESOME CRAIGERRR!

Oh where else do you expect to buy that stuff Canada:D.

That whole brewzilla is made in China...

That is a solid idea. I found the positioning annoying when I tested one back during the winter.

I have seen a number of different ways to go about this. The first few I found on DoomedTube involved cutting the 8 wire ribbon.
I did not want to do this...

upload_2021-6-7_16-45-30.png

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!
upload_2021-6-7_16-46-20.png

Then I found a video where someone used these male by female 8 wire jumper cables with the same connector as the BZ.
He also used an ethernet cable which, as I am sure @Hawkbox knows has 8 wires as well.

upload_2021-6-7_16-50-25.png

I found this as well, which is a super slick solution, but kind of more than I wanted to spend right now.
This unit is designed specifically to work with the Brewzilla, and has an App. You kind of turn your BZ into a GF.
I may get the wallet out and do this down the road, but I am going on the cheap for now...

upload_2021-6-7_16-54-31.png

You're just running some basic cat5e or whatever for the extension? Yeah that should work fine. I certainly wouldn't want to cut any of the wires in the actual unit either.

Back