Alternate Fermentations.

My wife, the retired high school science teacher, has been working since early December in a retail shop here in Eugene called Down to Earth. The store sells indoor and outdoor plants, gardening supplies, and a wide variety of housewares, especially for the kitchen. Last night she told me they want employees to take home products to test, so they can better represent the products they’re selling. Tonight she is supposed to bring home a fermenter kit, with plans to produce sauerkraut and kimchi. I’m looking forward to this little adventure in home fermenting.

Another neat aspect of Down to Earth is their advocacy for pollinators, both native as well as European honey bees. Her boss lives just a few blocks from us, where her partner is an avid beekeeper. Later this month, the partner will be conducting seminars at Down to Earth to inform interested parties on aspects of apiary. I am very interested, though likely to face resistance from next door neighbor, as they run a day care operation, with kids in the backyard throughout the day. Maybe I could just lend a helping hand with someone else’s hives. I sure do love honey, and have found some really good stuff locally.

Last edited:
My wife, the retired high school science teacher, has been working since early December in a retail shop here in Eugene called Down to Earth. The store sells indoor and outdoor plants, gardening supplies, and a wide variety of housewares, especially for the kitchen. Last night she told me they want employees to take home products to test, so they can better represent the products they’re selling. Tonight she is supposed to bring home a fermenter kit, with plans to produce sauerkraut and kimchi. I’m looking forward to this little adventure in home fermenting.

Another neat aspect of Down to Earth is their advocacy for pollinators, both native as well as European honey bees. Her boss lives just a few blocks from us, where her partner is an avid beekeeper. Later this month, the partner will be conducting seminars at Down to Earth to inform interested parties on aspects of apiary. I am very interested, though likely to face resistance from next door neighbor, as they run a day care operation, with kids in the backyard throughout the day. Maybe I could just lend a helping hand with someone else’s hives. I sure do love honey, and have found some really good stuff locally.
If a kid gets stung by a bee it's his own fault. Honeybees are only aggressive when the hive is threatened. But I'm sure your neighbor will still be very apprehensive

If a kid gets stung by a bee it's his own fault. Honeybees are only aggressive when the hive is threatened. But I'm sure your neighbor will still be very apprehensive
I don’t think that neighbor appreciates nature like we do. He seems to be an outlier in this neighborhood, where lots of people do all they can to help nature.
Yep, he wants me to kill the rats that run through our yard (they are everywhere, not just in our yard). He kills them in his yard, I trap those in our yard and relocate them to “wilder” areas.
In any case, we’re going to do our part in providing food and habitat for bees and other pollinators. Maybe apiary some time in our future.

I don’t think that neighbor appreciates nature like we do. He seems to be an outlier in this neighborhood, where lots of people do all they can to help nature.
Yep, he wants me to kill the rats that run through our yard (they are everywhere, not just in our yard). He kills them in his yard, I trap those in our yard and relocate them to “wilder” areas.
In any case, we’re going to do our part in providing food and habitat for bees and other pollinators. Maybe apiary some time in our future.
There might be a farmer that would benefit from bee hives but doesn't want to do the work or invest the money. That could be an interesting option for you in the future

If I didn't live on a small city lot and didn't have family members who weren't deathly afraid of bees, I'd have an apiary as well. My only option is to watch the honey bees and bumble bees visit the flowers in our back yard.
20_f.png

I'm really lucky to have a guy who runs his apiary as a cottage business just about a mile and a half from here... as the bee flys...

Funny thing I actually am planning on splitting one of my native beer hives and giving it to my daughter's daycare so the littlies can check em out.

They don't sting though and are more like a fly in size than the much bigger European bee.

I agree, but for some kids a bee sting can be fatal. No sense inviting that liability. They have lawyers in Oregon too.

Now about Ben's idea for a beer hive...

Looks good Ben!
I've been eating my sauerkraut and only have a little left.
I'll make a bigger batch next time. Just thinking of using my baby 4 litre fermenter....

Biggest batch of kraut ive done underway yesterday evening a big woppa
20231016_191355.jpg

It was around 4.5kg of cabbage in there:eek:
20231016_195218.jpg

Back