Alternate Fermentations.

Looks like things are taking off on the current batch of Kraut
20220802_182550.jpg

Done up some onions tonight will leave these for a month
20220802_193948.jpg

Next batch done tonight another whole red cabbage and this time 4 carrots.
View attachment 21624
Love how vibrant pink this stuff gets.

Oh lady from local shop said chuck the last Kraut juice into the next batch which I've done .

Also bought these the other day at local veg shopView attachment 21625
Can I do these pickling onions in 2%salt brine for a lacto style fermentation?
@Yooper
@Zambezi Special
I'll consult Dr Google but thought I'd put it out there.
Cheers.
Koomboocha is still brewed weekly just don't post pics it's boring.

Sorry for the late response. I was away for a couple of days, and then when I came home, I brought Covid along with me and have been down with that a little.

I’ve never done onions alone- but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Definitely keep us posted!

Sorry to hear @Yooper
Hope you are better now?

I’m about day 4 now, so starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, thanks! My goal now is to just keep my germs to my self so my husband stays well. I’ll test again once I’m symptom free, and hopefully that will be in just another day or two.

My daughter is an RN at a busy hospital, and she told me that this strain seems to really run it’s course in 5 days or so in healthy people. I haven’t seen my grandsons since July 20th, and have to be covid negative to see them so I’m hopeful that she’s right!

Finished up the hot sauce with hatch chili's. The level of spice is perfect. It came out a little too sweet and briny, I'll omit the carrots and up the garlic next time. Now I'm doing some dill veggies; carrots, celery, and some cucumbers from the garden
20220814_143553.jpg
20220814_175811.jpg

Finished up the hot sauce with hatch chili's. The level of spice is perfect. It came out a little too sweet and briny, I'll omit the carrots and up the garlic next time. Now I'm doing some dill veggies; carrots, celery, and some cucumbers from the garden
View attachment 21838 View attachment 21839
Looking great Sunfire.

I think my current batch of Kraut is infected it's got a white lacto film on top and smells wrong:oops:
My onions I think are the same:(...
Will post a pic later
Well how do you keep them veggies under the liquid line Sunfire96?
Or does using the airlock mitigate that problem somehow?

Looking great Sunfire.

I think my current batch of Kraut is infected it's got a white lacto film on top and smells wrong:oops:
My onions I think are the same:(...
Will post a pic later
Well how do you keep them veggies under the liquid line Sunfire96?
Or does using the airlock mitigate that problem somehow?
There's a disc shaped glass weight in there on top of the veggies. Came with the jar in a fermentation kit

I normally use a plastic bag, filled with roughly the same brine solution as I'm aiming for in the pickle.
Even if it breaks, the salt percentage will stay the same ;)

I normally use a plastic bag, filled with roughly the same brine solution as I'm aiming for in the pickle.
Even if it breaks, the salt percentage will stay the same ;)
That's what I've been doing but I find the contents manages to break free around the edges of the bag.

Serious?
I grew up on this stuff as we all liked it and it was dirt cheap.
Genwrally eaten mashed in with potatoes and eaten with smoked sausage (rookworst) and kassler or something likewise
(And cook your potatoes seperate as they will never get soft if you cook the lit together. Standard rookie mistake :D)

Serious?
I grew up on this stuff as we all liked it and it was dirt cheap.
Genwrally eaten mashed in with potatoes and eaten with smoked sausage (rookworst) and kassler or something likewise
(And cook your potatoes seperate as they will never get soft if you cook the lit together. Standard rookie mistake :D)

Yeah sorry bout that i knew it wasnt your first rodeo.:)
Thanks for the tip I tried to get my Dutch mother in law to try some the other day but she graciously declined.

Rekons she might have a crack on Sunday when she returns.

A local sourdough baker does another kraut she ferments the cabbage whole and puts salt inside the leaves.
She's originally from Serbia and said its how her mum went about the preparation.

She's the one that told to the have a shot of The liquid but to be careful :p!

Fermenting a whole cabbage sound kind of cool :cool:
Do you know if she put in a bag or in a bowl or so?
I got a feeling I just gotta try this!

Fermenting a whole cabbage sound kind of cool :cool:
Do you know if she put in a bag or in a bowl or so?
I got a feeling I just gotta try this!
Na whole in a homebrewers fermenter.

Gotta peal back the leaves and tuck the salt in behind she was saying.

Back