I brewed today!

you have to decide on your recipe specs or volume, you can easily keep boiling to gain an extra couple of points but it will reduce your volume, if your over I just leave it, I was 2 points over today on starting gravity

well it's been a few weeks, back to brewing though. 80% 2-row, 10% Munich, 10% flaked oats.

100% hopped with Idaho 7 hops (14.1%AA).

Here's some info on it if anyone's curious
Usage: Primarily aroma and dry hopping due to its potent aroma and flavor, but high enough alpha acids to contribute good bitterness. Excellent as a single hop or part of a blend for IPA, pale ale, and hop-forward American wheat beers.

Aroma & Flavor Characteristics: Pungent tropical fruit and citrus (think apricot, orange, red grapefruit, papaya) with big notes of resiny pine and hints of black tea.

Botanical Classification:
Family: Cannabaceae
Genus: Humulus
Species: Lupulus

Brewed a Robust Porter and a Belgian Dubbel. A little long on volume(2qts on Dubbel but not enough to worry about).Porter is older recipe we revisited from a peel off of Black Widow Porter Recipe from "Brewing Classic Styles". Dubbel is a beautiful red color, spaced out getting a pic of it.
New system worked great. It was fun and a challenge to brew 2 beers side by side at the same time. About 8hrs for 20gal of wort with a breakfast burrito break included.

Edit: Forgot to post, racked 3 kegs and put Peach Saison in secondary also. My back is tired this morning. Need a hoist over keezer.:D

Last edited:
so i work at the LHBS now. and i can buy things at dealer cost. Brewing tomorrow, Christmas ale, going to age it on toasted oak cubes until a few weeks before x-mas.

My next brew (maybe tomorrow) will be Charlie P.'s Holiday Cheer, found in his book. Today I brewed a Longboard inspired lager. I used Pilsner, and just a 60 minute vigorous boil, but that's another thread.

heating strike water now for next version of my house Rye

PPG °L Bill %
2.5 kg United Kingdom - Golden Promise 37 3 51%
1.25 kg American - Rye 38 3.5 25.5%
0.75 kg German - Vienna 37 4 15.3%
0.1 kg German - Acidulated Malt 27 3.4 2%
0.3 kg German - CaraHell 34 11 6.1%
4.9 kg Total

Reactions: GPA
we brewed our christmas ale, switched up the recipe a little, Belgian Pale, Special B, Dark Munich, Chocolate Malt, threw in some brown sugar too.

Used Mandarina Bavaria hops, and tossed in some bitter orange peel. Hoping the citrus comes through with all that malt.

Finished out at 2 gallons of 1.065 wort and pitched WLP500 (chimay strain). Going to age on toasted oak cubes after ferm.

heating strike water now for next version of my house Rye

PPG °L Bill %
2.5 kg United Kingdom - Golden Promise 37 3 51%
1.25 kg American - Rye 38 3.5 25.5%
0.75 kg German - Vienna 37 4 15.3%
0.1 kg German - Acidulated Malt 27 3.4 2%
0.3 kg German - CaraHell 34 11 6.1%
4.9 kg Total
How'd your brew day go there Mark you hit your expected numbers my kegs a chockers so there ain't no brewing for me for awhile. I recon I've got 50lt in kegs and who knows what I've got stored up in bottles. But it is summer time!

also "brewed" up a apple wine. 1 gallon of apple cider + 8oz of cane sugar, some yeast nutrient, and montrachet wine yeast. The recipe i found said it required virtually no head space and wouldn't kraussen. HA! Luckily I was watching it during dinner, had to fit a blowoff tube on it because it was going crazy on the neck of the carboy and in the airlock. So i'll check it tomorrow to see if the yeast is getting into the entire batch.

How'd your brew day go there Mark you hit your expected numbers my kegs a chockers so there ain't no brewing for me for awhile. I recon I've got 50lt in kegs and who knows what I've got stored up in bottles. But it is summer time!
Yup yup , brewhouse was up a few points and got extra litre in FV and kept third running off sparge for boiling down for starters ....pretty successful day all round .

Did a usual last minute change of mind and decided to throw my dry hops in at flame out , IBUs will be up a little so a borderline IPA now , should be a real punch in the face

finally got time to brew my Ozarks Hoppin Red Ale, did all the prep work yesterday bleached, rinsed and set up everything along with filling the HLT with 20 gallons of filtered water, mashing now and this is already orange in the mash, looking good

Reactions: GPA
I was going to use either Nottingham or M44 but neither showed up today so I guess its M54 to the rescue, Im also making a pizza for tonight, on day 3 of the dough might as well

My pipeline is starting to run a bit dry. I took today off to get a few things done, including brewing something. It wasn't until I got to the LHBS that I decided what to brew. The winner was roasted amber ale. I've had quite a few compliments on it. Funny, because I only brewed it the first time to see what roasted barley tastes like. 11 lbs of 2 row, and 1/2 pound of the roasted barley. Cascade hops. Good beer!

I call it homebrewers conundrum :p even whilst the brew is underway

I call it homebrewers conundrum :p even whilst the brew is underway
I've never called an audible before! But I don't keep ingredients at home, either. I couldn't change it on the fly.

Back