What are you drinking right now?

Went out to the shooting range with the stepsons and killed several greenbacks. Both have a new AR they wanted to sight in, and the missus decided I need a break from kitchen overhauling. Of course, I was the one shooting when the youngest’s AR decided to jam. I heard the round fire, but didn’t see the casing eject, and looked to find the next round sideways in the receiver. No bueno. Turns out his buddy gave him some steel case .223 rounds (which were coincidentally made in Russia). We moved on to the shotgun range and shot a few clays, then came home to unplug his rifle. He did a ‘bump’ clear on it which managed to sheer off the edge of the ejection ring on the casing. I put a cleaning rod for a .22 through the barrel and into the stuck casing (which they kept thinking was a ‘live’ round). Put the end of the cleaning rod on the floor, and a few good bumps later the defective casing came flying out. Lesson learned: Don’t use cheap Russian .223 ammunition.

Went out to the shooting range with the stepsons and killed several greenbacks. Both have a new AR they wanted to sight in, and the missus decided I need a break from kitchen overhauling. Of course, I was the one shooting when the youngest’s AR decided to jam. I heard the round fire, but didn’t see the casing eject, and looked to find the next round sideways in the receiver. No bueno. Turns out his buddy gave him some steel case .223 rounds (which were coincidentally made in Russia). We moved on to the shotgun range and shot a few clays, then came home to unplug his rifle. He did a ‘bump’ clear on it which managed to sheer off the edge of the ejection ring on the casing. I put a cleaning rod for a .22 through the barrel and into the stuck casing (which they kept thinking was a ‘live’ round). Put the end of the cleaning rod on the floor, and a few good bumps later the defective casing came flying out. Lesson learned: Don’t use cheap Russian .223 ammunition.
Wrong size for the barrel aye?

Well, everyone can always use some experience in disassembling and repairing things.

Wrong size for the barrel aye?
No, just poor quality in the casing. Round fired OK. I’d already fired 10 rounds, so was quite aware of every nuance of the firing cycle. Knew something wasn’t quite right when I didn’t feel the bolt return and latch. When I shoot, I pay a lot of attention to everything about the gun, especially when it’s the first time I fired one like it. Never shot an AR of any kind before, but the 11th time I pulled the trigger, knew immediately something didn’t go according to plan. Casing was about as stuck as anything tapered can be stuck. I was impressed. Travis (youngest stepson had just fired 20 rounds of the same stuff in the weapon. I had absolutely no reason expect it to fall. Took a bit of brute force to remove the casing. Slug went exactly the direction I pointed it.

Those steel casings have some sort of varnish the likes to gum up the works when the rifle gets hot.

Translation pls Roadie?
AR?
Greenback?
I only now silverback

Ah, I knew greenback as money. Just thought it might mean something different here.
And I thought maybe AR is assault rifle?

Mudslide Max approves.
20231030_174643.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, I knew greenback as money. Just thought it might mean something different here.
And I thought maybe AR is assault rifle?
It is an assault rifle. Possibly the most popular firearm in the USA.

Anyway: fast-carbed sample of my Nevada 3. Still a bit green, but as expected in every way.

4C45A13D-DCA0-4674-A42A-404B867C1D47.jpeg

Drinking my "second day revenge" Chipotle pepper stout. Black as ever and gets you in the back of the throat. Pretty tasty, nice and smokey with the smoked peppers and peat smokey malt.

would use less peppers next time
20231031_212910.jpg

Drinking my "second day revenge" Chipotle pepper stout. Black as ever and gets you in the back of the throat. Pretty tasty, nice and smokey with the smoked peppers and peat smokey malt.

would use less peppers next timeView attachment 27109
Sounds dangerous but tasty.

And I just don't get it, they just feel too "tinker toy" to me, where a good bolt action is art in steel and walnut...
I guess some enjoy shooting smaller caliber stuff with a lot less recoil at quick firing rates of semi-auto weapons. It’s a fun way to spend some money and time. I’m more a fan of “the long distance phone call” which would keep any argument at a distance and doesn’t have to be fast. Best option is to avoid the argument to start with, but still important to know when it’s going to try to follow you after walking away.

I like older bolt action weapons too. They’re just simply more reliable. I had my old Remington Model 540 .22 single shot with me (because it’s still pretty cheap to shoot) and surprised myself shooting 50 yards. I was hitting a 2” target consistently with open sights. Woulda tried it at 100 yards but A) not sure I could see a 2” target that far (focus both target and sights), and B) the jam in the 5.56 had us a bit worried. Shooting my old Gewer 88 8mm Mauser is fun too, but there’s only so much of that my shoulder or wallet will withstand. Nearly $2.00 per round for good quality reliable ammo that won’t blow the 145 year old rifle up in my face.

I can see where steel casings would have to have something to prevent rust which would be a guaranteed misfeed/jam. Coatings, heat, and precision mechanisms typically don’t play well together. He’s decided to never use’em again. I don’t think brass/bronze would have stuck in the chamber nearly so bad, if at all. The extractor ripped a pretty sizable chunk off the collar, which sorta indicates it glued itself in the chamber.

BTW, “AR” doesn’t actually mean assault rifle. It’s actually a misused moniker for any brand that looks like the AR. AR actually means “Armalite Rifle”. I’m as guilty as anyone on that misuse. They’re relatively inexpensive, easy to customize, and make good tactical weapons for medium/close range because of compact size and rapid fire/low recoil. I guess whether it’s an “assault” rifle depends on whether one is the assaulter or the assaultee. In all fairness, it should be called a TR(tactical rifle). Small difference, but perhaps a less negative reference. Not worth a flip for hunting because of the small caliber unless used for varmint or coyote mitigation. I wouldn’t bother trying to take a deer with one. Don’t own one, not really interested enough.

Back to regularly scheduled programming, though, having my morning cuppa on a very crisp if windy autumn morning watching leaves pile up and dreading picking them up.

Not a gun fan, but what is used here mostly are .358 rifles. And maybe some .22's
All I use is a pellet gun to keep the vervet monkeys away.

Back to drinks
I'm having another mosi, but didn't take a picture.
Instead you are getting a pic of my dog to test if my connection is good enough
IMG_20231101_164036_600.jpg

Back