Your top 3...

Since I posted I've been thinking about a name for my IPA. Since its essentially a two hearted clone I was thinking about how to pay tribute. That beer is named after a river near the brewery in MI. My local creek is called Miller Creek. I'm don't know who Mr. Miller was but any combination of that creek name and IPA don't sound catchy. There are over 80 creeks and stream in my city and I just couldn't live next to one with a cool name. But that got me thinking or other local, natural features. The local park in which MIller Creek runs through also has a big patch of exposed bed rock that curves gently back into the grass of the hillside. It's shape and color have earned the moniker Elephant Rock. Now that's a catchy name: Elephant Rock IPA!

In no particular order, my top three are
1. English bitter.
2. Cascade hopped red ale.
3. German style pils.

The bitter and the red ale I have been brewing for years, while the pils is a recipe I have been tweaking since January. While I brew many other styles, these are the ones I always have in stock.

I've only brewed 3 batches (and loads of batches of cider)...
So....
Summer Blonde
Roerstok Blonde (a more or less Belgian Blonde) and a
Belgian Tripel, which I haven't even tasted yet as I brewed it during my holiday in the Netherlands and I haven't been bavk due to Corona.
Antway, a definite prefetence for Belgian Blondes and Tripels.....

I haven't repeated identical recipes much in my short brewing career, but here are the 2 best brews so far and ones that I'd love to brew again and recreate (but I'm excited to try the oktoberfest and amber ale I have currently conditioning!)
1) Centennial pale ale
2) Berliner weisse sour

Most of my keepers/house beers have been mistakes while trying to brew something else. ;)

1) Femme Fetale Cream Ale - started as a simple American style blonde ale for my hop aversive wife but turns out it was an even better cream ale recipe! Since the 1st version I've upped the corn content to 20%. Even my Budweiser loving nephew crushes this one back!
2) Bubble Bee IPA - I was trying for a nice floral flavored IPA (hence the bee reference) and ended up with a crushable citrus IPA. Sweet orange flavor when young (1-2 weeks out of the fermenter) and ages into a nice smoothly bitter citrus/grapefruit forward west coast style pale ale as it matures.
3) Marmalade Farmhouse Ale - Started as a sweet, orange peel dry hopped booze bomb and turned into a Citra, Amarillo, and Coriander lawnmower special. Just popped the latest version of it into the fermenter this past weekend.

As I was reading the Top 3 listed above I noticed several brewers listed Janets Brown. I figured it was one of the beers in the Recipes section.
I searched for Janets Brown with no results. Tried different spellings. So, maybe I'm wrong & it's not in the Recipes section & everybody already has the recipe, or not.
Am I looking in the wrong place?

Well, I reread the posts above & sure enough someone showed Brewing Classic Styles as the source of the Recipe. I have a copy of Brewing Classic Styles & there it is. Sorry, I'll take another look at this recipe.

Well, I reread the posts above & sure enough someone showed Brewing Classic Styles as the source of the Recipe. I have a copy of Brewing Classic Styles & there it is. Sorry, I'll take another look at this recipe.
Yessir, it's in there and definitely worth brewing!

1) Full Nelson - Nelson Sauvin pale ale. Probably the best, most well rounded beer I have made. Everything was just right, colour bitterness, hop character, carbonation.
2) Epic Number Two - The first Belgian ale I made from a bastardised saison recipe. Not too strong and had something nice about it.
3) Imperial Stout - Despite getting a lower ABV than the plan, it turned out well and continues to improve.

I may have to change some of the above if the NEIPA turns out good though.

1. Citra SMaSH - simple 4% ABV 2-row, Citra & US-05
2. Ruski - Russian Imperial
3. Irish Red - stock Northern Brewer recipe so no name but it is good

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/11408/janet-s-brown-ale
I believe this is the original recipe resized for a 10gal batch.
I originally used the recipe off the homebrew network site that Tasty posted. I've looked around and all seem to be about the same. Seems he was big on sharing and helping out.
Here's a cool thread on the homebrew network site where he posted a 6 gallon batch.
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186751#_thread

Back