Yeast wash

Just read this, I like the idea.
So just a thought, what if you make a batch of weak DME and used it to rince? I realize it would ferment again but if the jars are have full and lids loose......what would you end up with?

I imagine that would be fine but that's a bunch of extra work and I'm not sure there would be any benefit over just keeping it on the original beer.

I imagine that would be fine but that's a bunch of extra work and I'm not sure there would be any benefit over just keeping it on the original beer.
It would be detrimental, actually. The sugars would cause the yeast to break dormancy. If you can't keep it under the beer the yeast fermented, distilled, sterile water is the next best option.

- Rinsing yeast will raise pH and lower ethanol levels which lowers the cultures defense against microbes.
This is one of the most neglected details with homebrewers, pH of yeast. pH matters to the yeast, it's one of it's best's defenses against bacteria. It should be stored under beer with a pH of 4.0 or slightly lower. Never store washed yeast more than a few days (or less) if direct pitching. Any longer and a starter should be used. When I reuse yeast, I always make a starter. Lately I have been shying away from reusing yeast because of mixed results, I think it would be better to store the yeast with the trub (without rinsing) and make a starter from that. You will maintain the pH of the yeast, especially if there is a small amount of beer on top.

When the pro's reuse yeast, it's often measured and repitched right away. Some store it in vessels and will occasionally "feed" the yeast to keep it healthy.

You can always buy a yeast flask from Sabco:

https://brewmagic.com/products/white-labs-ferm-flask-by-sabco/

Here's a video how to use your new $1800.00 yeast flask:

It would be detrimental, actually. The sugars would cause the yeast to break dormancy. If you can't keep it under the beer the yeast fermented, distilled, sterile water is the next best option.

I agree they'd break dormancy but then they'd actively ferment the wort and be stored under the beer.

I don't see the point of taking yeast out of beer just to put them back in it but I don't know that it would be detrimental although I guess depending on the ratio to yeast and wort it may not be able to get the pH down far enough.

This is what I got, one looks better than the other.

Looks like yeast layer is sandwiched between beer and trub....

Plan is to chill overnight, decant top layer, wash and repeat if necessary .

Am I on the right track ?

I honestly expected a cleaner result... Is it normal for it to look the way mine does ?

I just store it as is,
I usually get about a quart bottle from my fermenter after I rack off the beer
I then store it in the fridge up to 2 months
On the next brew day, I pour off the beer from the top,
Shake the remaining slurry
Divide into two 12 oz jars and let it warm on counter while brewing
I have had excellent results with this method
I only make beer of the same or darker profile with recycled yeast

I just collect the slurry from the fermenter after I rack the beer to the secondary
I ferment in a 6 and a half gallon glass carboy
I swirl it till it is a liquid, then pour it into a quart mason jar, and cap with a plastic lid
I will store it for up to 3 months
When ready to brew again I pour off most of the beer, then shake well
I then divide into two 12 oz jars and cap loosely and allow to come to room temp
While brewing.
I pitch a whole jar into each batch
I have had great results with this method
I usually make something like a bock first
Then keep making darker ( like a red ale, or amber) next
I don't try to make a blonde with recycled yeast from a porter

Back