Yeast quentions tempretures quantity and stuf

Mastoras007

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, i was wondering if i can speed up fermantation without side affects, for example if i use double of yeast, can this cause a half days fermentation?
i google some articles says i can do but i didn΄t find any information about side effects.

I was wonderin if breweries use this method, or they just fermenting 14 days carbonating 1 week?

I am planing my next brew PILSENER, i am reading instructions for s23 says 11g for 20 liter batch if fermenting at 20 and 22g if fermenting about to 11, so what will hapen if i ferment to lets say 18 celsius (this is a easy number to ferment with my equipment) and i use 20g of s23?

Also what about yest reuse, if i collect yeast for reusing will be the same amount of yeast or after fermentation the amount is bigger because she is multiply during fermenting ?

tia

More yeast means that the yeast can propagate quicker and fermentation starts quicker.
I don't think there is a disadvantage on a homebrew scale except for cost.
Note that kveiks are a different ball game. Not talking about them.

You can harvest yeast .
I go for the lazy route and don't need to make a starter. You bottle or keg your beer and leave the trub in the fermenter. New wort goes on there a couple hours later.
The others here will explain the more "normal" way to harvest yeast and make a starter

Also ΄΄starter΄΄ is a new word for me, i need to make a research about it.
i will come back for some questions about for sure, im going to watch some videos

Yeast does what it does. More might allow the yeast to start working 1 or 2 days sooner, but it will not finish faster. There really are no shortcuts.

You have to be patient with making beer

To expand on above, yeast are living organisms, they do what they do in their own time.
Having said that some yeast strains do work quicker than others.
The Kveik strains for instance can ferment in a just a few days, and work well at higher temperatures.
For instance, I pitched Kveik VOSS yesterday around mid day, it was active in about 2-3 hours, and 24 hours later the krausen has dropped, and it is slowing down! I am fermenting this at 39C.

You can't however speed up the fermentation of a lager strain, or more traditional ale strains.

This picture is about 4 hours after pitching Lallemand VOSS Dry yeast yesterday.
1712504282556.png

A started would be essentially making a mini beer a couple days before brew day, and pitching yeast into it in order to build up more cells.
This is not necessary with dry yeast, but may be if you are using liquid yeast.
Personally, for me, I found using liquid yeast and making starters to be too much extra time spent, and more equipment to clean and maintain.
Using liquid yeast and making starters will not make your beer better, in my opinion...

Pitching more yeast will kick off fermentation a little quicker and fermenting at the warmer end of the yeast's range will speed up fermentation a little. But neither will cut fermentation time dramatically.

Pitching more yeast only starts the beginning of the fermentation faster, not the end of fermentation.

For your batch, fermening at 18C, one pack will be adequate. Don't use 2 packs, that is a huge overpitch and waste of money. You will see fermentation start within 8-16 hours with just one pack, probably closer to 8-10 hours.

When you ferment an entire batch, the yeast will replicate about 2-4 times the original amount, so you might be left with the equivalent of about 3 packs per 1 original pack. For this reason, a lot of brewers remove most of the yeast cake if reusing the yeast and just use a portion of the yeast cake for their next batch, like if racking on top of the previous cake, no need to use the whole thing but just a fraction of it.

LAGERS:

So I pitch 250g of dry lager yeast(apex munich 1) into about 76 gals of wort usually around 12P at 64-66F my fermentation times for this batch are consistently 10 days and hit generally around 77% attenuation. I can consistently pack my golden lager on day 11 without need for lagering. My This volume of beer will last me less then 2 weeks.

I am overpitching, but its worth it for me for the consistent clean fermentations. Plus that is half of a 500g brick. Plus im pushing O2 at 2LPM and throwing Yeast X into the kettle.

KVIEK:

I use Apex Voss yeast and it is a monster. I knock out at 96F. Pitch 250g dry voss into the fermenter at about 75% knockout. My tank is set to 96F. By the next day, the atteuation is usually over 50%. I generally see activity in the blow off bucket before i am finished cleaning up(about an hour). I am able to push out IPAs ranging from 5-9%abv in about 7-10 days including the dryhop. Ales can be done in less about 5 days. I find Voss to be very clean and versatile.

As was said above, Kviek yeasties are a totally different thing. I love Voss and use it for everything that isnt a lager(even though it would probably produce an awesome lager at 60F, i just havent tried it yet.)

My gear is a little different then your average home brewer setup, but its closer to homebrew then commercial gear so????

A started would be essentially making a mini beer a couple days before brew day, and pitching yeast into it in order to build up more cells.
This is not necessary with dry yeast, but may be if you are using liquid yeast.
Personally, for me, I found using liquid yeast and making starters to be too much extra time spent, and more equipment to clean and maintain.
Using liquid yeast and making starters will not make your beer better, in my opinion...
plus honestly is not worth the possible infection avenue. plus liquid yeast is much more expensive.

To expand on above, yeast are living organisms, they do what they do in their own time.
Having said that some yeast strains do work quicker than others.
The Kveik strains for instance can ferment in a just a few days, and work well at higher temperatures.
For instance, I pitched Kveik VOSS yesterday around mid day, it was active in about 2-3 hours, and 24 hours later the krausen has dropped, and it is slowing down! I am fermenting this at 39C.

You can't however speed up the fermentation of a lager strain, or more traditional ale strains.

This picture is about 4 hours after pitching Lallemand VOSS Dry yeast yesterday.
View attachment 29014
Nova lager is pretty quick, but also fermenting at a slightly higher temp(66-64f) can speed it up, but it can also produce unwanted off flavors in some styles. really you are bridging the gap between ale and lager at the higher temps or lower temps.

you can make good "lager" beer using a cold fermented Ale strain and the same with a higher temp lager strain. Some breweries only use one strain and just adjust the ferm temp based on the desired product.

Fermenting too fast (by warming) can give bad flavors.

Pitching more yeast only starts the beginning of the fermentation faster, not the end of fermentation.

For your batch, fermening at 18C, one pack will be adequate. Don't use 2 packs, that is a huge overpitch and waste of money. You will see fermentation start within 8-16 hours with just one pack, probably closer to 8-10 hours.

When you ferment an entire batch, the yeast will replicate about 2-4 times the original amount, so you might be left with the equivalent of about 3 packs per 1 original pack. For this reason, a lot of brewers remove most of the yeast cake if reusing the yeast and just use a portion of the yeast cake for their next batch, like if racking on top of the previous cake, no need to use the whole thing but just a fraction of it.
Current batch is ale i use 1 pack of us 5 but my next batch will be a pilsner, recipe says to use 2 packs (for 20L batch) but no mention on fermentation temperature
This is the recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/356952/nrden-bru-czech-pilsner-plze-
What's your opinion for this

Current batch is ale i use 1 pack of us 5 but my next batch will be a pilsner, recipe says to use 2 packs (for 20L batch) but no mention on fermentation temperature
This is the recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/356952/nrden-bru-czech-pilsner-plze-
US-05 isn't a particularly fast yeast to ferment out. It will take two weeks, or at least close to it.
Remember, one of the most important ingredients in beer is patience...

US-05 isn't a particularly fast yeast to ferment out. It will take two weeks, or at least close to it.
Remember, one of the most important ingredients in beer is patience...
Voss would like a word lol.

And very much true. Right up there with cleanliness.

One pack is plenty fermented cool. You could even use less, 1/2 pack, if fermenting warmer at like 18C as you originally stated. But most people would just use the whole pack, because, most people love to overpitch.

Back