yeast management

If you have only 1 yeast to keep brewing forever, which one would it be?

• Saison

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • London III

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • wheat yeast

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BenBe

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
How to keep yeast?
What do you suggest me, if I want to keep the yeast, one brew after another.

Make sure everything is kept completely sanitary. Use the yeast quickly, or you will need to make a starter to reinvigorate it. As far as which strain to pick, that is up to what type of beer you want to brew. If you are going to do saisons, there is no point in trying to farm London ale yeast.

I have a half dozen different strains in my fridge in mason jars. If you use them within a couple months you can pitch one right in and go, but i usually start a starter and then refill the mason jar with the fresh stuff.

Cleaning is important though as said. I wash everything and then starsan it before I put the yeast in it and put it back in the fridge. I've started messing around with freezing yeast for yeast banking but I'm still way over my head with it.

Learn and use sterile methods, to the extent possible. If not, rigorous sanitation of everything, work with gloves and hairnet, etc.

Gloves... hairnet.. Uh yeah... Do that!

i chose saison for one reason my lowenhock (spelt wrong) is a lovely flavourfull yeast. i cant better the.aboves methods:).

Make sure everything is kept completely sanitary. Use the yeast quickly, or you will need to make a starter to reinvigorate it. As far as which strain to pick, that is up to what type of beer you want to brew. If you are going to do saisons, there is no point in trying to farm London ale yeast.
For sure.
I would love to keep dipa yeast and Belle Saison. So I need to take the white of the krausen and then put it in a sanitized jar, in fresh water, in the refrigerator, isnt it?

If you are storing it for longer than a couple days you will want to open the jar lid to vent out some co2. It will build up in there. Of course you need to be sanitary doing this, so don't lift the lid off completely, just unscrew it till its loose enough for the gas to escape. It might not build up enough to break the jar, although why chance it. the added pressure will weaken the yeast and you will not have as many good cells.

Back