Xtract brew completed fermenting in 4 days?

Thanks jeffpn and jmcnamara for your replies. That helps me understand the process better!

Is there a forum where there is BIAB discussion? I've tried doing searches on seberal of the forums here but to no avail :ugeek:

You're very welcome. There isn't a dedicated forum for that, but this one is good for any general question you have.

There's also one if you have a question on a particular recipe

Not really a BIAB subforum here. When I started BIAB, I googled mashing information. There's really not a whole lot to it, at least that I care about. I like to keep it simple. What I found on different web pages about the mash satisfied my curiosity on the subject. I'm no expert, but I can get er done.

jmcnamara said:
You're very welcome. There isn't a dedicated forum for that, but this one is good for any general question you have.

There's also one if you have a question on a particular recipe

I'm still at that lack of confidence stage that I'm not sure what to ask! But the q's will come as I jump in! Thanks for your input!

jeffpn said:
Not really a BIAB subforum here. When I started BIAB, I googled mashing information. There's really not a whole lot to it, at least that I care about. I like to keep it simple. What I found on different web pages about the mash satisfied my curiosity on the subject. I'm no expert, but I can get er done.

You sound a bit like me on the K.I.S.S. philosophy! I need to just snoop around on the web to find the various calculators used to convert a recipe to my brew pot size. Assuming there is one :-/ Can you recommend a search phrase to use? I really appreciate your help! Cheers.

When I've found a recipe that I like that was the wrong size, I zero in on the original gravity. I plug in my desired volume for the ending boil kettle. (I use 6.5 gallons for a 5 gallon recipe. That way, I can leave sediment and trub behind when I rack to the secondary and again to the bottling bucket/keg). I adjust my base grain mostly, and small adjustments to the adjunct grains until I get the same (or close) OG. Then I adjust my hop additions, more by time than by weight, to get back to the recipe's IBU.

Here's a page I found about converting extract recipes to all grain.
http://byo.com/grains/item/616-extract- ... n-and-back

I personally couldn't quite get into the How to Brew book like I did Radical Brewing, but this part always stuck with me.

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-4/exp ... wn-recipes

If you stick within very general guidelines, at least at first, you'll most likely make something that's good.

And if you do stray outside the lines, who knows it might be great

jeffpn said:
When I've found a recipe that I like that was the wrong size, I zero in on the original gravity. I plug in my desired volume for the ending boil kettle. (I use 6.5 gallons for a 5 gallon recipe. That way, I can leave sediment and trub behind when I rack to the secondary and again to the bottling bucket/keg). I adjust my base grain mostly, and small adjustments to the adjunct grains until I get the same (or close) OG. Then I adjust my hop additions, more by time than by weight, to get back to the recipe's IBU.

Here's a page I found about converting extract recipes to all grain.
http://byo.com/grains/item/616-extract- ... n-and-back

Thanks for this article it will be useful!

jmcnamara said:
I personally couldn't quite get into the How to Brew book like I did Radical Brewing, but this part always stuck with me.

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-4/exp ... wn-recipes

If you stick within very general guidelines, at least at first, you'll most likely make something that's good.

And if you do stray outside the lines, who knows it might be great

Seems to make a lot of sense! Thanks.

I just did a two gallon extract batch using WLP005. Finished in three days. Some yeasts are faster than others, particularly when you let the temperature get out of control, as I did with the aforementioned batch.

Back