Worst spill, mess, or otherwise bonehead move?

Haha that sux man it'll still taste great.
That beer has a great malty backbone so I figure it'll be a good beer for you man!
More like an English bitter now well sort of...
Now there's an idea brew that Bunyip English bunyip with EKG and Fuggles and call it Nessie :p
BenNessie .....

Well, made a mess last night.
I thought I had all the clamps on my picnic tap lines tight. They apparently were tight until they got into the fridge. I noticed a small drip later, a pretty wet towel under the keg, and an area where something had been running down the wall in my refrigerator.
Live and learn. I was taking everything apart in that keg to clean it after it kicked with my prior batches.
I'm not screwing with those clamps anymore. I think I am going to fill the thing back up with water and cleaner this next time, put it under a little bit of pressure, and open the tap into another container to clean the lines. Then, take apart everything EXCEPT the line, clamps, and the plastic fittings on the line.
It has been a really shitty month. Can we hit the reset button soon?

I thought I had all the clamps on my picnic tap lines tight. They apparently were tight until they got into the fridge. I noticed a small drip later, a pretty wet towel under the keg, and an area where something had been running down the wall in my refrigerator.
Live and learn. I was taking everything apart in that keg to clean it after it kicked with my prior batches.
I'm not screwing with those clamps anymore. I think I am going to fill the thing back up with water and cleaner this next time, put it under a little bit of pressure, and open the tap into another container to clean the lines. Then, take apart everything EXCEPT the line, clamps, and the plastic fittings on the line.
That sux
Duotight works pretty good on beer/gas line connections.

Hope it don't happen again .

Probably worse than a gas leak...

So a "wet" January for you, that sucks buddy, better days ahead!

Fermenting under pressure. Decided to forgo the blow off tube, and just close the spunding valve and open when pressure started registering. Woke up this morning to an empty keg. Guess the yeast got an early start, and the liquid post leaked. Luckily, I had the keg in a large bucket, so no real mess. Sucks though.

Fermenting under pressure. Decided to forgo the blow off tube, and just close the spunding valve and open when pressure started registering. Woke up this morning to an empty keg. Guess the yeast got an early start, and the liquid post leaked. Luckily, I had the keg in a large bucket, so no real mess. Sucks though.
Figured it out. I'm using these replacement springs with loose poppet heads. I had the poppet on the wrong end of the spring (L), when it should have been at the opposite end (R). Not much difference to look at, but the results proved otherwise. No seal on the liquid post, so the pressure of fermentation just pushed all the beer out of the keg in no time. Lesson learned: don't do that, and always start off with a blow off hose just in case... So glad I had it in a large bucket! An expensive mistake I won't be making again.

Attachments

• 20240204_102205.jpg
    20240204_102205.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240204_102221.jpg
    20240204_102221.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Figured it out. I'm using these replacement springs with loose poppet heads. I had the poppet on the wrong end of the spring (L), when it should have been at the opposite end (R). Not much difference to look at, but the results proved otherwise. No seal on the liquid post, so the pressure of fermentation just pushed all the beer out of the keg in no time. Lesson learned: don't do that, and always start off with a blow off hose just in case... So glad I had it in a large bucket! An expensive mistake I won't be making again.
Oh man that Sux I feel for you man that's a LOW BLOW dude!

Like you said you'll never do that again.

I should have posted my Glycol chiller mishap here LOLZ. I spent a good hour cleaning up 3 1/2 gallons of water/glycol from the floor and area rug.
Oh man! Another expensive oops. Plus that glycol doesn't evaporate.

This past summer I came upon an old home brew kit at a yard sale. I figured I could scrounge it for some buckets and such. Turns out there was a 5 gallon glass carboy in there.
I've read a few places before that glass carboys are like motorcycles, you've either had an accident or you're going to have one. I do have a few plastic ones, and even those I felt a little unsure sometimes moving a full one around the house, especially through doorways or other tight spaces.
Anyway, i recently got one of those straps / harnesses that fits around the bottom, and it makes it much easier to lift and move around.

I guess this is a long way to ask, what's the worst spill / mess you've had? Also, what did you do to attempt to mitigate or prevent it from happening again?
I've never spilled a carboy, but I did pour some wort into a bucket with a spigot, which I apparently didn't check to make sure it was closed. got about half a gallon on the floor before i realized it. Now, I check it a few different times before I'm ready to pour. If I'm brewing with the wife, I'll even have her check it a time or two.
Being the klutz that I am, I knew I was going to make a mess when transferring liquids or filling bottles so I went to the local big box hardware store and purchased a 26" ID plastic hot water heater pan. Practically every spill or drip that happens on brew day (even spent grain transfers) is contained and easily cleaned up.

Back