Will this make a decent beer?

I whirlfloc and gelatin, when I don't forget to buy more whirlfloc.

The only time in the last year I've used a secondary was for a raspberry blonde I'm making and that was to get rid of all the raspberry solids so I wouldn't pull a bunch of them into the keg.

It was still sitting at 1.010 today, so I did rack it to a clean secondary and added clearing agents. I'm a neat freak :p
But I also took a 1.5L sample that I cooled and carbonated. Tasting it at the moment. I must say, its really good...not 100% what I'm looking for but pretty damn close. Even my SO enjoyed it. But it is still a little sweet. Would adding more bittering hops balance that out on the next batch you think?

I read that you use hops to balance sweetness. So seems like the best approach, and it could also be beneficial with some more bittering any who, because its a little "bland", even for me.

Also, STARCH CITY! No way I converted everything :D Looks like some kind of apple cider, instead of a clear "lager". Of course, I don't think all the yeast is out of suspension yet, according to the slight haze of sediment from the cooled 1.5L bottle. But no way in hell all that haze is yeast.
So that needs some more attention on the next one. Will probably be easier though since I can get a full boil volume with my next one since I'm building a brew kettle. So I can add more malt too.

I also went back to school recently to become laboratory worker, chronic disease forced me to change occupation. And my main project for the year is going to be brewing. Since it contains a lot of chemistry and micro biology, and the teacher thought that was the best idea ever. How great is that?! :)

Last edited:
It was still sitting at 1.010 today, so I did rack it to a clean secondary and added clearing agents. I'm a neat freak :p
But I also took a 1.5L sample that I cooled and carbonated. Tasting it at the moment. I must say, its really good...not 100% what I'm looking for but pretty damn close. Even my SO enjoyed it. But it is still a little sweet. Would adding more bittering hops balance that out on the next batch you think?

I read that you use hops to balance sweetness. So seems like the best approach, and it could also be beneficial with some more bittering any who, because its a little "bland", even for me.

Also, STARCH CITY! No way I converted everything :D Looks like some kind of apple cider, instead of a clear "lager". Of course, I don't think all the yeast is out of suspension yet, according to the slight haze of sediment from the cooled 1.5L bottle. But no way in hell all that haze is yeast.
So that needs some more attention on the next one. Will probably be easier though since I can get a full boil volume with my next one since I'm building a brew kettle. So I can add more malt too.

I also went back to school recently to become laboratory worker, chronic disease forced me to change occupation. And my main project for the year is going to be brewing. Since it contains a lot of chemistry and micro biology, and the teacher thought that was the best idea ever. How great is that?! :)
A good vigorous boil and the right ph should get you a clear beer in the end and of course using finning agents in the beer at right time right temp ect ect.

Enjoy the hobby first and formost everything else should just fall in to place with a little attention.

Sounds like a good first brew! Yes the bitterness from hops will help balance the sweetness from the malt. In fact something that will give you an idea of how sweet-bitter it will be is the BU:GU ratio which is the IBU/OG (also calculated for you automatically in BF). I like the 0.4-0.7 range personally but it depends on the style. Also if you're getting a bland flavor you'll likely want to increase your later addition hops (20min boil to dry hops) as this is where you'll get the most flavor and aroma out of them. You could dry hop now in your secondary to bump the flavor up. Yeast can also have a huge flavor impact too so that would be another lever to pull. The haze likely is not starch but rather yeast settling out and proteins (usually higher levels in unmalted grains like the flaked corn you used) but nothing to worry about.

Congratulations on going back to school and good luck!

Back