why isn't Priming sugar being added to the total ABV calc

We really went down the Rabbit Hole on this one. Yeesh!

You might think it's negligible and doesn't matter until you walk into your local homebrew competition and see an oscillating u-tube density meter on the judge's table.

You might think it's negligible and doesn't matter until you walk into your local homebrew competition and see an oscillating u-tube density meter on the judge's table.
I've never entered a brew competition, and that's why I asked earlier in this thread if the competitions actually check ABV. The response I got was no. So if they do test for ABV, I stand corrected. That being said, I would have to think that for a competition to check for ABV, they'd have to separate the competition from those who bottle from a keg, and those who bottle using sugar. Otherwise, those who bottle from their keg have an advantage as their ABV is virtually locked in. And how many brewers have accurate enough equipment to determine ABV beyond their subjective hydrometer/Refractometer?

I don’t see bottling from a keg being the advantage you say. Someone who bottle conditions would just have to plan accordingly, if it’s really a big deal. I just looked at my old Charlie P book this morning. I couldn’t find where he addressed the issue, although I seem to remember he said it’s negligible.

It's all fun and games until that happens...
Is that an oscillating density meter in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

if they do test for ABV
They don't, my post was facetious. Few judges will notice much difference between 4.8 and 6.2% unless there's something else wrong with the beer. Other flaws that either accentuate or mask the perception of alcohol beyond the style guideline description may knock off a couple points.

The only time accurate measurement of ABV or ABW is really important is if you're commercially selling beer in a state that has restrictions on it.

ok I was planning 4oz corn sugar for this batch. As an engineer these details are loose threads i must pull

Engineer, eh? I’m shocked!! :p:D

I've never entered a brew competition, and that's why I asked earlier in this thread if the competitions actually check ABV. The response I got was no. So if they do test for ABV, I stand corrected. That being said, I would have to think that for a competition to check for ABV, they'd have to separate the competition from those who bottle from a keg, and those who bottle using sugar. Otherwise, those who bottle from their keg have an advantage as their ABV is virtually locked in. And how many brewers have accurate enough equipment to determine ABV beyond their subjective hydrometer/Refractometer?

There is no way anyone really knows the actual ABV of their beer- the hydrometer is a non-precision tool and even if it was accurate, the formulas we use are not 100% accurate. It's a good estimation for the most part, at best.

There is no way anyone really knows the actual ABV of their beer- the hydrometer is a non-precision tool and even if it was accurate, the formulas we use are not 100% accurate. It's a good estimation for the most part, at best.

I agree, but why add another layer to the already existing inaccuracies? Personally, I'm really a lot more concerned with producing beer that I enjoy, but there are many who want the utmost of accuracy in all of the details.

the one and only brew comp.ive participated in so far.we could use hydrometer to see what the beer attenuated too but yeah not used.

ok I was planning 4oz corn sugar for this batch. As an engineer these details are loose threads i must pull
ok now planning 3 oz white sugar to keep to style

Back