Whiskey, Bourbon, and Other Fine Spirits!

I find Jameson a bit too sweet.
Much as I would prefer drinking Irish whiskey, I just prefer the scottish whisky
(Don't know why I prefer the "e" in whiskey)

I find Jameson a bit too sweet.
Much as I would prefer drinking Irish whiskey, I just prefer the scottish whisky
(Don't know why I prefer the "e" in whiskey)
Ever tried Tullymore dew? My favorite of the Irish varieties

The Dew is nice, but, for me, as far as Irish Whiskeys go...
Writers Tears is 2nd to the "Redbreast".
...and yes, I do have one in my collection :)

1699510301235.png

Nope, budget doesn't allow these days, unfortunately.
So far my favourites are Tom'ntoul and glenmorangy. Both Scottish though

Seems to be enough chatter here to justify a 'spirits' thread I think. I love my beer, but I need my bourbon too!

I'm meeting a few pals later today, and we are filling our own barrel (3 gallon) at a local distillery. We'll have the opportunity to sample the barrel whenever we want and we decide when it's ready. We also get to choose the proofing. We can go cask strength, proof it down, and combination. My guess is we'll do a few cask strengths and proof down the rest. Once the barrel is empty, we are leaning towards filling it with rum on the next go around.
Would you please explain the proofing. I don't know anything about that. Since I discovered craft beer, I prefer it over distilled spirits. I will occasionally add a splash of kahlua to a pint of porter or stout.

And because I'm curious, how much do you expect to pay for your 3 gallons of liquid joy?

Would you please explain the proofing. I don't know anything about that. Since I discovered craft beer, I prefer it over distilled spirits. I will occasionally add a splash of kahlua to a pint of porter or stout.

And because I'm curious, how much do you expect to pay for your 3 gallons of liquid joy?
All I ever knew about "proof" is that it seems to be half of the ABV.
I found this however:

Alcohol proof (usually termed simply "proof" in relation to a beverage) is a measure of the content of ethanol (alcohol) in an alcoholic beverage. The term was originally used in England and from 1816 was equal to about 1.75 times the percentage of alcohol by volume (ABV). The United Kingdom today uses ABV instead of proof. In the United States, alcohol proof is defined as twice the percentage of ABV. The definition of proof in terms of ABV varies from country to country.

Would you please explain the proofing.
Judging by his comment it seems that he's referring to "proofing down".
Spirits off the still are pretty stiff (up to 80% ABV off a pot still, 90+ off a
reflux column). They're "proofed down" with distilled water, and in the case
of whiskey's, rums, and other spirits aged on wood, they're still around
60+ ABV as they're going in the cask (cask strength). Once aged on wood
they'll be proofed down further to 40% usually.

Back