What tubing do you guys use for hot transfer?

coreyman

Premium Member
Reaction score
I know I'll need to transfer liquid that is ~150F from my mash tun to the boil kettle so I have been searching for a good tubing that will not degrade/melt and is rated for the heat. Traditional vinyl tubing is only rated for up to 150F and if I use a plate chiller after boil instead of an immersion chiller the liquid will be over 200F. I did find this but I'm not sure if you should be sending consumables through it -
UDP 1/2 in. I.D. x 10 ft. Rubber Heater Hose T62006001 - The Home Depot

I also have some 1/2" PEX out in the shop but I'm not sure if it will go on the 1/2" fittings very well it states the following for PEX and people serve their home's water supply with this so I'm assuming it's safe to send consumables through -
  • Maximum pressures and temperatures: 160 psi at 73.4° F, 100 psi at 180° F, 80 psi at 200° F

Yep, 1/2" silicone
You don't use the larger what is is "Brewflex" hose for hot side transfers in your brewery Brian?

I watch them fellows on YouTube looks like it's a semi ridgid hose ones blue must be for cold side and ones red?

You don't use the larger what is is "Brewflex" hose for hot side transfers in your brewery Brian?

I watch them fellows on YouTube looks like it's a semi ridgid hose ones blue must be for cold side and ones red?
No, for the size of batch I'm doing, 1/2" is fine
Also, it's flexible and doesn't crimp.
I can drop a BBL in 15 minutes with only gravity.
A pump would could easily double the speed.

No, for the size of batch I'm doing, 1/2" is fine
Also, it's flexible and doesn't crimp.
I can drop a BBL in 15 minutes with only gravity.
A pump would could easily double the speed.
1/2" tubing with my riptide empties my 5 gal in about 3 minutes. that accounts for slowing it down at the end

I also use the 1/2" silicon for my glycol out and return line provably overkill but its just so forgiving and comes in a good line size as to not restrict flow when needed.

as long as it really is silicon, that looks sweet.

upload_2022-10-14_20-45-36.png

Is there an easy way to know?

This was in the reviews section in Amazon....double check your shipment guy!

I know I'll need to transfer liquid that is ~150F from my mash tun to the boil kettle so I have been searching for a good tubing that will not degrade/melt and is rated for the heat. Traditional vinyl tubing is only rated for up to 150F and if I use a plate chiller after boil instead of an immersion chiller the liquid will be over 200F. I did find this but I'm not sure if you should be sending consumables through it -
UDP 1/2 in. I.D. x 10 ft. Rubber Heater Hose T62006001 - The Home Depot

I also have some 1/2" PEX out in the shop but I'm not sure if it will go on the 1/2" fittings very well it states the following for PEX and people serve their home's water supply with this so I'm assuming it's safe to send consumables through -
  • Maximum pressures and temperatures: 160 psi at 73.4° F, 100 psi at 180° F, 80 psi at 200° F
I use silicone tubing.

Back