What to do with 3.8L Pilsner Extract

jamesclinton82

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all. first post for me. I am just getting into brewing and have done a few partial kits so far. As part of my initial setup I bought some equipment second hand which came with 2 x 1.9L pilsner LME (Brew Canada).

I was thinking I could just do a straight extract brew and use some Nottingham yeast which I cleaned from my last beer but I'm not too sure how that would turn out. The extract came with some sterling 514 dry yeast but I don't think that will be good anymore (i suspect its a couple years old)

Any suggestions on how to turn this into something worth drinking?

I'm going to be veg here, just steep what ever you want with it for flavor, add some sugar or DME to get your correct volume and alcohol level and use any hop you like, it should be fine

If you can keep it reasonably cool, do a Koelsch.

Nosybear said:
If you can keep it reasonably cool, do a Koelsch.

And if you can't keep temps below 60, try a "steam" lager. I've done a few batches that way using S-23 dry yeast and have had excellent results.
You could steep some Carapils and add some rice syrup and hop with Hallertau or Willamette, ferment as close to 65 as you can get (mine got up to 68 or so sometimes) and have a nice American Lager.

Back