What should I brew for my 100th batch?

If you can get the hops, may I suggest Wayner’s Pale Ale? It’s a bit outrageous in the amount of hops used, but it’s really good and crushable.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/253526/wayner-039-s-pale-ale

It just won a gold at Milwaukee last weekend. I scaled it up to 3 barrels for a local brewery and it sold out really fast.
Side note 85% efficiency is better then my brewhouse gets! impressive! I have seen VERY large automated brewhouses average just over that.

Whenever I have a special reason to make a special beer and I've got plenty of time for it to be done, I always push the "dopplebock" button. I make it very rarely, but it's always special.

Side note 85% efficiency is better then my brewhouse gets! impressive! I have seen VERY large automated brewhouses average just over that.
Yeah, I got it dialed in. Last weekend I brewed an American Lager and ended up with an extraction rate of 95% from the mash. It can be a PITA if it gets too high, the gravity gets out of wack. .

Yeah, I got it dialed in. Last weekend I brewed an American Lager and ended up with an extraction rate of 95% from the mash. It can be a PITA if it gets too high, the gravity gets out of wack. .
hell ya! your light lager just became a 6.5 abv lager...

I have gotten up to 90% on my current system, but I am generally closer to 80%. I know that i can increase the efficiency in a couple ways, but they all add to my already long ass day, so im willing to spend $5-10 more on grain to save myself over an hour on a brew day.

hell ya! your light lager just became a 6.5 abv lager...

I have gotten up to 90% on my current system, but I am generally closer to 80%. I know that i can increase the efficiency in a couple ways, but they all add to my already long ass day, so im willing to spend $5-10 more on grain to save myself over an hour on a brew day.
That’s right. The new session lager is now 6.5%.

Bock, Dunkel or maybe even an Alt.
I make an Alt and call it a black lager...because tourists/southerners generally dont know what an altbier is lol. Same thing with most german styles i have to provide an explanation.

Sharing what I did for my 100th in case it gives you any ideas.

For my 100th I wanted to brew a big shelfie that I could save for months / years to commemorate the occasion. I also wanted to brew something I had not brewed before and needed to add to my repertoire. For me, that led to brewing a barleywine that I called "". That year's batch was decent and I still have bottles of it years later. About once per year or maybe less often, I rebrew this barleywine with tweaks and it has become a really dialed in beer that has nabbed a couple medals. And now I have bottles from several different years to share with buds on special occasion.

If you must pick from your list, I'd recommend cold IPA. I brewed a couple last year and was blown away. Tasty hop bursting style that is much cheaper to get hoppy flavors out of than hazy ipas. I have recipes to share for anyone interested!

Cheers

Rusty

Sharing what I did for my 100th in case it gives you any ideas.

For my 100th I wanted to brew a big shelfie that I could save for months / years to commemorate the occasion. I also wanted to brew something I had not brewed before and needed to add to my repertoire. For me, that led to brewing a barleywine that I called "". That year's batch was decent and I still have bottles of it years later. About once per year or maybe less often, I rebrew this barleywine with tweaks and it has become a really dialed in beer that has nabbed a couple medals. And now I have bottles from several different years to share with buds on special occasion.

If you must pick from your list, I'd recommend cold IPA. I brewed a couple last year and was blown away. Tasty hop bursting style that is much cheaper to get hoppy flavors out of than hazy ipas. I have recipes to share for anyone interested!

Cheers

Rusty
I have never made a cold ipa. Honestly I didn't know what they were until just recently. I still have not tried one lol.

Georgia is behind the times.

I would love to see recipes.

I ended up going with a more old school pale ale it's on draft now, it's OK. I could have done better imo but I thought I was in a much tighter timeframe then I was.

A weissbier drinks nice at the beach
I love good German wheats, but honestly they are a pain in the ass to make because the haze falls out of solution so quickly. I might try making a dryhopped version with this hazy yeast. It wouldn't be a German style, but it might work to keep the haze in suspension a little longer.

I love good German wheats, but honestly they are a pain in the ass to make because the haze falls out of solution so quickly. I might try making a dryhopped version with this hazy yeast. It wouldn't be a German style, but it might work to keep the haze in suspension a little longer.
I've never had my hefeweitzen* get not-cloudy. Maybe it's the yeast?

*Which is not a weissbier

I've never had my hefeweitzen* get not-cloudy. Maybe it's the yeast?

*Which is not a weissbier
i made belgian wit with whitelabs wit yeast for years(Thousands of bbls as it was a core beer at the old brewery) and unless the bar stored the kegs upside down and flipped or agitated them regularly they would settle out and crystal clear. Same with cans, if they didnt rouse the can it would be clear.

I have gotten German 500ml bottles that were crystal clear until you roused the yeast.

It happens unless you used specific haze stabilizers or other practices like blue moon and avery do. the germans cant so thiers eventually settles. it makes it a very very different beer w/o the yeast in suspension.

So some years ago I bought a couple cases of hoegaarden that were close to expiry date (OK Belgian, not German), but it actually says on the label to swirl the bottle a couple times before pouring.
So, why not just do that?

So some years ago I bought a couple cases of hoegaarden that were close to expiry date (OK Belgian, not German), but it actually says on the label to swirl the bottle a couple times before pouring.
So, why not just do that?
For sure I do, but its harder to get bartenders to do anything beyond the most basic parts of their jobs. Thats why at the brewery we stored all of the wit kegs upside down. It forced the bartenders to flip them back upright which helped to rouse the yeast back up. But im not gonna lie it was a bitch todo that on a regular basis even for someone who handles kegs regularly. Some of our tiny girl bartenders were physically not able todo it.

I have never seen kegged witbier (except my soon to be own when temperatures drop)
But yes, I can imagine it being a problem.
You did well, trying to sort it that way
I suppose it's easy for me to know that some beers are supposed to be hazy.
I can imagine you getting some flack from customers

I have never seen kegged witbier (except my soon to be own when temperatures drop)
But yes, I can imagine it being a problem.
You did well, trying to sort it that way
I suppose it's easy for me to know that some beers are supposed to be hazy.
I can imagine you getting some flack from customers
Honestly it wasn't really customers complaining, the beer tasted good. It was more my own pride and me knowing how much better that beer was right off the tank.

I honestly don't love wheat beers in general, so I only really make them when I'm forced to lol.

Honestly it wasn't really customers complaining, the beer tasted good. It was more my own pride and me knowing how much better that beer was right off the tank.

I honestly don't love wheat beers in general, so I only really make them when I'm forced to lol.
I'm the same way

i made belgian wit with whitelabs wit yeast for years(Thousands of bbls as it was a core beer at the old brewery) and unless the bar stored the kegs upside down and flipped or agitated them regularly they would settle out and crystal clear. Same with cans, if they didnt rouse the can it would be clear.

I have gotten German 500ml bottles that were crystal clear until you roused the yeast.

It happens unless you used specific haze stabilizers or other practices like blue moon and avery do. the germans cant so thiers eventually settles. it makes it a very very different beer w/o the yeast in suspension.
Wit is also not Hefeweitzen. But I get it.

What size kegs, 1/2? And do they last more than 2 weeks before they kick?

My 5 gal corny doesn't clear in 2 weeks.

Back