What kind of homebrewer are you?

BarbarianBrewer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
When a new brewer asks for advice on what equipment he or she should buy or what method (extract, all-grain, etc.) they should use, we rarely ask what they want to get out of brewing beer. What's their personality & preferences? This was discussed in an article by Drew Beechum & Denny Conn in the December 2020 issue of BYO magazine. They listed different types of home brewers: Gear Head, Scientist, Old School, Wild One (sours, brett, etc), Recipe Innovator, Busy Brewer and the Relaxed Brewer. I would actually add the Constrained Brewer to that list as well. This would be the brewer who is constrained by physical space, finances or physical abilities and can't brew the way they really want to and accept that. In the article Denny says he came to the conclusion that "If you stressed over home brewing, you were doing it wrong". I think that should be paired with the mantra RDWHAHB (Relax Don't Worry and Have A Home Brew).

To varying degrees I fit into a number of the categories.
  • Gear Head - I drool over many of the homebrewing systems seen here and in homebrew magazines. I'd be all-in on this if I had more space & money (Constrained Brewer). I also get tremendous satisfaction from homebrewing DIY projects.
  • Old School - The history of brewing beer is what first attracted me to the hobby. First with extract and then all-grain. So, I tend to stick to the more traditional styles and methods. I'm sure an all-in-one electric systems is in my future, but for now I like the hands-on feel of my current system.
  • Scientist - From the chemistry of mashing to the physics of convection in the fermenter, I am always interested in what is happening and why.

I'm a bit of an old-school scientist. I love German beers and you have to be a scientist to brew those! I also love brewing historical styles even though I know what I'm doing is not a recreation of what they were way back whenever. I have a bit of the engineer in me - my system is homemade and requires a bit of TLC to coax through a brew day and I sometimes become the creative and let the wild side out. So there, I've pretty much categorized myself as everything.

I don't really know personally, I guess relaxed brewer is probably the closest. I like the tech and I find it interesting, but I always revert back to my simple OG kettle and mash tun setup.

Is "Old School Gear Head" an option? Love history and researching classic styles(and figuring out how to make them happen with the equipment I've got), on the flip side, I know how I want my home brewery to look and function and I'm constantly tweaking things in that direction(seems like there is always "just one more thing" I'd like to add or modify).

For me I’d fit closer to the old school guy but has the electric kettle. I want to try to be as traditional as possible ingredients wise and style wise. I skipped the extract rough those since I brew small and like it that way. I love the history of brewing

I guess I have a bit of all types with a bit of "Day late" brewer. I wish I started years ago. I look at tech and the science but not get analysis paralysis before making a batch. I just really enjoy brewing and the end product.

I would fit Drew and Denny's category of Relaxed Brewer. But I am driven by Barbarian's notion of Constrained Brewer. I have both limited space and limited funds so I'm relaxed and content to do what I can with what I have.
Me too....
But I haven't really be brewing long enough to really know.
Bit of a scientist as well and I tend to over-think things (and still be relaxed ;) )

I'm probably the scientist, with a bit of gear head in there.

I have taken a couple of steps back from my obsession with data, now it's just an intense interest. It turns out that to get the kind of data I really want, I'd have to spend a small fortune to get the right sensors...thus a constrained brewer I suppose.

I would fit Drew and Denny's category of Relaxed Brewer. But I am driven by Barbarian's notion of Constrained Brewer. I have both limited space and limited funds so I'm relaxed and content to do what I can with what I have.
Constrained may mean in time and space but I think what's meant is constraining the ingredient selection so that you know each of the ingredients and what they do well. I also fit somewhat into this category.

I was thinking the same as @soccerdad. Someone who wants to brew 10 gallon batches but, lives in a small apartment so they do 3 gallon batches. Or a brewer who can only afford a pot from Walmart instead of Spike Brewing.

I think I have gone through most all of the phases and am now finally settling into a relaxed, informed, much more easy going RDWHAHB brewing type. I enjoy all aspects of brewing now without fretting over the small stuff. The 1 thing that always has stood out to me though is you never stop learning. There is always something new around the corner. I suppose this could be said about most hobbies but brewing does have it's own special rewards.

t

Amen Brother!
This hobby challenges my mind, and my taste buds reap the benefits. I think that I enjoy the learning the most. The resulting deliciousness keeps me at it. Not sure where that slots me in with the categories in the original post.

Back