What if mint ipa?

BenBe

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
What would be your recipe for a clean, crispy Minty IPA?

never heard of that...........what kind of mint?

There's a few hops where the descriptions mention mint. https://beermaverick.com/hops/tag/mint/

I haven't had a lot of those. I did get some sort of mint from Zappa, but there's a whole bunch of other flavours in Zappa.

Main focus would be on keeping the grist out of the way. 100% pale malt or close to that number. It'll probably end up a one trick beer and if that one trick doesn't work it could be a bit bland.

There's a few hops where the descriptions mention mint. https://beermaverick.com/hops/tag/mint/

I haven't had a lot of those. I did get some sort of mint from Zappa, but there's a whole bunch of other flavours in Zappa.

Main focus would be on keeping the grist out of the way. 100% pale malt or close to that number. It'll probably end up a one trick beer and if that one trick doesn't work it could be a bit bland.
So you’d go 100pale.
Hop, id choose lemindrop hop, 2oz of fresh mint during high krausen.

What if
70% 2 row
15% wheat
5% crystal40
5% toasted oats
5% rice hulls

Yeast kveik lutra

-lemondrop hop, 1 oz at 30, 1 oz at 15, 1oz ar7, 1oz at 0 min

2 oz fresh mint during krausen.

Do you want a sweet mint or just a hint of mint? I believe Polaris hops is supposed to give a mint flavor.

Grind the leaves and add at the end of the boil and maybe with the dry hop addition.

hmmmm...I got a bunch of spearmint and lemon balm... might play well in a blonde....

Yup I've recently acquired some peppermint.
I've done a few spice style beers now but nothing with mint and not IPA something more refined maybe or simpler grist as @Mark Farrall is pointing at so the malt stays behind the mint your trying to present.

I'd imagine it would create a cooling sensation on the tounge.

I can't help but think a bit maybe mid boil would give that mint cooling thing then for flavour I'd go WP /Flame out / or hop stand with (mint hop) but keep the hops way back unless your sure it's gunna deliver on the mint profile.

I think lemondrop is a safe hop if your thinking mint lemon flavour even cascade or Citra to push it in that direction :rolleyes:.

I'd go base malt Munich malt and wheat if you want. I'd mash nice and warm to keep some dextrines and keep the IBUs low treat it sorta like a wheat beer now that could work too!

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this.

How much mint grams wise you thinking?

I'm thinking err on the side of caution with the dosage in the WP then if on tasting the fermented product then if your not satisfied you could dry hop with it more.

I just think about making mint Sauces also its a brown vineger raw Sugar mix that's boiled with a healthy dose of mint I'd keep that in mind for recipes.

I like the idea ;)
Got a fair bit of mint growing. Curious to see what BenBe is going to make.
I'm sort of leaning Vietnamese flavours: mint, lemongrass, makrut leaves, hint of chili... ?
No idea how that would pan out. Maybe I'll try in some cider :rolleyes:

I suppose i'd try All base malt as mentioned above. maybe i'd try peppermint candy. chinook or simcoe. kind of a cool pine thing. don't know how that would go together.

Last edited:
Mint Julep?

I wonder if the mint flavor would become tiresome after the first or second glass.

But if you want the mint to shine then as mentioned above keep the grain out of the way. The suggestion was to use all of a very mild grain, rather than wheat and other grains that have actual flavor contributions.

One experiment you can try is to buy a fairly neutral beer, like Bud Light or similar, and add a small amount of fresh crushed mint leaf and see what it tastes like. You could try it a few times with different amounts of mint, that will give you some kind of an indication of how much to use.

Just remember that mint oil is fairly volatile, and boiling it will just send it up in steam. The dry hop is the way to go but make sure the leaves are sanitized. Vodka can help with that.

Not the same obviously, but I’m a big fan of Porters and Stouts. Any time I’ve seen a “Mint” version of these styles I always try them. I haven’t yet had one that I’d care to try again. They all end up tasting like some breath saver. :eek:

Not to discourage you from trying this as I think it’s a cool experiment and I’m sure it can be done right, but my advice would be to go easy on the mint as it can overwhelm pretty quickly. @Donoroto is on the money with adding mint to a neutral (ie. tasteless) beer as a test. Start small and add. When you think you’ve found your level, back off just a bit. In the end you want a beer you can crush and enjoy.

Good luck and keep us all posted!

Back