What did you get delivered today

Got my feedback sheets from the NHC, Shady Boh advanced to the 2nd round anyway. I get the feeling that one judge liked it a lot omore than the other one.
131659011_205890131287020_8413958334511950782_n.jpg

Got my NHC feedback on my Hefeweitzen, did better than expected (35) but they correctly caught each of the flaws.

The only one I'm puzzled on is "Oxidation", one judge flagged that but I simply didn't taste it. No matter, sitting in a bottle for 2 months could have hurt it.

A bit too dark for the style (yup), not great head & retention (yup), and I shoulda included more yeast when I bottled from the keg (need to shake the keg!) to increase the doughy/yeast notes. They got more clove than banana, but fresh it was the other way around.

Regardless, it is great to get experienced feedback to at least confirm that I'm seeing and tasting the same things, which gives me confidence I'm not fooling myself (much) and points me towards improvements. My only 'complaint' is the expense (particularly shipping) so I'm going to focus more on local competitions this year.

Attachments

• NHC 2021 Judge Comments 1029.pdf
    685.3 KB · Views: 50
Lots of people use Oxidation as kind of a catch all for something they can't identify Don. So take it with a grain of salt.

Lots of people use Oxidation as kind of a catch all for something they can't identify Don. So take it with a grain of salt.
Regular or iodized?

Yeah, I get that. As we have all heard countless times, the only thing that really matters is if you like to drink it. It definitely did not come out as good as other batches, but that's what was in the keg when the time came. I am happy with the result.

Regular or iodized?

Yeah, I get that. As we have all heard countless times, the only thing that really matters is if you like to drink it. It definitely did not come out as good as other batches, but that's what was in the keg when the time came. I am happy with the result.
Hey Don, If you like the fruits of your labor, and your friends and family like the fruits of your labor.....those judges can...well you get the idea!!

Hey Don, If you like the fruits of your labor, and your friends and family like the fruits of your labor.....those judges can...well you get the idea!!
Clint, they were fair. No matter how much I think I know what I am tasting, it is great to get anonymous but expert feedback that confirms my own impressions. Nice as the zoom call is, tasting isn't included.

That being said, the results didn't break my heart...:rolleyes:

Clint, they were fair. No matter how much I think I know what I am tasting, it is great to get anonymous but expert feedback that confirms my own impressions. Nice as the zoom call is, tasting isn't included.

That being said, the results didn't break my heart...:rolleyes:
When you think about it beer judges are just like us people who love and nerd out on beer sometimes we get it wrong that's why there is a pannel of judges in the comps I've sat in on its the collective average that makes the score and Non BJCP counts arnt included...

If ya get a chance sit in on some HB comps as a training judge it's a cool expierience.

B8F360B5-9B77-4C29-A2BC-7EA3E6315846.jpeg
Some 8.5 pounds of hops. :D

I have a batch of Wayner's coming soon, and other hops I use fairly often were a bargain. Maybe I went a little overboard...

They included a free pound of Belma. Anyone ever use that??

Not overboard at all! I confess to having 8-10 lbs of hops in my freezer. I don't really like getting below 5 lbs. Never heard of Belma hops

Looks like a brass pipe bushing...

Back