What did you get delivered today

A dozen diminutive 0.2 liter kolsch glasses (stangen) from Lee Valley tools. I hunted all over for a decent deal on these and discovered that the new ones you see on Amazon come from here with a sigificant markup. So if you are looking for some you can get them at Lee Valley on line for $17.50 plus a little shipping or if your lucky and live in Canadia you can get them at a store near you.

Prost!

View attachment 6671
They are great glasses, I also get them from Lee Valley and am lucky enough to drive by them once a month.

A dozen diminutive 0.2 liter kolsch glasses (stangen) from Lee Valley tools. I hunted all over for a decent deal on these and discovered that the new ones you see on Amazon come from here with a sigificant markup. So if you are looking for some you can get them at Lee Valley on line for $17.50 plus a little shipping or if your lucky and live in Canadia you can get them at a store near you.

Prost!

Now you just need to get your hands on one of those nifty trays with a handle and you can hand them out by the dozen. Certainly seemed to make it easier keeping everyone supplied with beer in the bars I tried in Cologne.

Do they have pictures of pretty Deutch girls on them?

Edit - now I see. Maybe I could make one out of an old fruitcake tin lol

Glass-Tray-set_grande.jpg

Last edited:
Fruit cake tin and a hole saw then screw on a snazzy handle and you got a fit Stange carrier.

Sorry, a what? Speak English man!:D
Ha ha yes that is a bit of beer talk and I was completely sober yep I make no sense at the best of times.

Hey check out this blokes hombrew spirit shed I saw today. Brewing beer and distilling seem worlds apart but similar in some ways. Was good seeing the another side of home brewing

Oh disclaimer it's legal in Aus to distil for ones own consumption :rolleyes::D:D!
20190719_165731.jpg

See that thing on the right he passes the liquor through that a time or two then puts it in them demijohns before adding essences. He had 3 of them on the drip. And oh boy oh boy that room smelt wonderful!

Ha ha yes that is a bit of beer talk and I was completely sober yep I make no sense at the best of times.

Hey check out this blokes hombrew spirit shed I saw today. Brewing beer and distilling seem worlds apart but similar in some ways. Was good seeing the another side of home brewing

Oh disclaimer it's legal in Aus to distil for ones own consumption :rolleyes::D:D! View attachment 6680
See that thing on the right he passes the liquor through that a time or two then puts it in them demijohns before adding essences. He had 3 of them on the drip. And oh boy oh boy that room smelt wonderful!

my LHBS sells something like that. strictly for distilling water and oils and such. But, they also tell you that you can download the actual distilling instructions from the manufacturer website :rolleyes:

Oh disclaimer it's legal in Aus to distil for ones own consumption :rolleyes::D:D! View attachment 6680
Beer and whiskey are quite simply related: Brew bad beer, distill it, add oak and voile! Good whiskey! If I screw up a batch (shhhh, it happens), I hand it off to my distilling friend and get a pint or so of wicked moonshine. I drop in an oak spiral and pretty soon this Kentucky boy is doing what we do best, racing hors..., er, making whiskey. I need to get SWAMBO to make a bad batch of wine so we can cook off some brandy.

Often thought about that and wondered just how good whiskey would be made from a failed hoppy IPA.

Often thought about that and wondered just how good whiskey would be made from a failed hoppy IPA.
Last batch I made had everything but the kitchen sink in it, even some failed wine! No hop character came through. The 'shine was a little weird but that actually helped when I'd oaked it.

Good to know Was thinking about getting the distillation setup for my Digiboil.

And remember the top it think he said 100ml or so you gotta ditch it that's the nasty s&#t! It will kill you make you blind blind the eye kind or put you in hospital. Just yesterday indeed on radio here in Aus a bloke got admitted to hospital at a music festival out in the desert (big red bash) from drinking home brew (home brew spirit) also remember a few years back a bunch of teenagers broke into their fathers shed down in Victoria and drunk their fathers spirits turned out it was ethanol and killed em all. He went to jail for killing his son:oops: and his mates.

Sorry to be a sad sack just thought I'd mention it...

Oh and he gets 5lt of liquor out to f a 20lt batch. He had 2 50lt batches and one 20lt batch fermenting on his bench in his shed that's 25lt I of pitential liquor.
I asked him whathiis final gravity reading was on them he gave me a puzzled look. He doesn't ferment in a temp controlled chamber neither the fermentation is secondary to the distillation as noseybear and Bob pointed out he doesn't care if the yeast get stressed he is gunna boil it down anyway. I told him about beer yeasts and controlling fermentation to reduce undesirable fermentation by products and culturing up a good yeast pitch on a stir plate to help garentee a good healthy clean fermentation he was like huh na we don't worry about all that.

Back