What did you get delivered today

For hops? I got some that had far too big a weave. The hop pallets just washed through once wet
Yeah, I find pelletized hops kinda ignore the muslin bag and make themselves at home in the brew. I bout a spider with 400 micron screen. MUCH better for keeping some of the hop sludge down.

Best ratcheting screw driver ever!
20240521_190601.jpg
20240521_190622.jpg
20240521_190645.jpg

Fermzilla All Rounder arrived today. I wasn't planning on getting one now but, I stumbled across a link to one on MoreBeer.com that was on sale for only $99! Normally they are $154 and currently on sale for $123 (model FE118). The one I purchased is model FE168. I compared the options on both and looked closely at the photos but, could see no difference. I couldn't pass up a 1/3 off deal so I bought it! Anyway it's mine now and has been fully inspected!

Fermzilla All Rounder-t.jpgFermzilla All Rounder-z.jpg

Fermzilla All Rounder arrived today. I wasn't planning on getting one now but, I stumbled across a link to one on MoreBeer.com that was on sale for only $99! Normally they are $154 and currently on sale for $123 (model FE118). The one I purchased is model FE168. I compared the options on both and looked closely at the photos but, could see no difference. I couldn't pass up a 1/3 off deal so I bought it! Anyway it's mine now and has been fully inspected!

View attachment 29468View attachment 29469
You’ll love it!

1716490725121.png

For those who have an All Rounder, how strong is the neck & handles? The instructions recommend against lifting it when it's full of wort. But, to get it in and out of my fermentation chamber (a small chest freezer) I'll need to use the handles and it'll be full. Do I risk cracking the fermenter every time I brew? Or is it just the PRV getting plugged that they are worried about?

I grab at the bottom where the rack is. I don’t lower in a chest freezer so no help there.

Got my Kolsch Cup scores back today. 43/50 :D can't be mad about that. My goal was to beat my last score of 39, and I even made it to the 2nd round of judging. It's not a BJCP judged event, but I'm still very pleased with myself

There's a big BJCP event in Virginia this summer called the Dominion Cup. I think I'd like to enter, but I'm not sure what style to brew. I need to decide soon

The RIMS tube actually arrived a couple days ago. Assembled it today and fixed a couple chronic leaks. Running a heat test now. Stole the controller from my fermenter fridge for the test. Water temperature was 75F at 1820. Currently 1850, and water temperature is at 114F. Got 5 gallons +/- in the system. The hoses, pump, and RIMS hold about a quart. Anticipating temperature to reach 120F set point in another 5 minutes or so. Heat cycle is definitely logarithmic.

IMG_3512.jpeg

RIMS clamp is homemade. Had everything else I needed except one 1/2” stainless close nipple. Found one at Lowes.

Bloody casters I put on the table wussed out when I tried to move the table with the nearly full kettle on it. Back to the drawing board for mobility.

Gonna need a good heavy cord to feed this rig. My roll up is getting pretty warm. The pump doesn’t draw much, but the heater sucks about 10A.

Probably gonna have to do something about contact with the RTD for the InkBird, too. Kettle thermometer says 134F, stick thermometer says 140F, Inkbird says 118F. Gonna get a 4th opinion before I start tweaking stuff.

The RIMS tube actually arrived a couple days ago. Assembled it today and fixed a couple chronic leaks. Running a heat test now. Stole the controller from my fermenter fridge for the test. Water temperature was 75F at 1820. Currently 1850, and water temperature is at 114F. Got 5 gallons +/- in the system. The hoses, pump, and RIMS hold about a quart. Anticipating temperature to reach 120F set point in another 5 minutes or so. Heat cycle is definitely logarithmic.

View attachment 29476
RIMS clamp is homemade. Had everything else I needed except one 1/2” stainless close nipple. Found one at Lowes.

Bloody casters I put on the table wussed out when I tried to move the table with the nearly full kettle on it. Back to the drawing board for mobility.

Gonna need a good heavy cord to feed this rig. My roll up is getting pretty warm. The pump doesn’t draw much, but the heater sucks about 10A.

Probably gonna have to do something about contact with the RTD for the InkBird, too. Kettle thermometer says 134F, stick thermometer says 140F, Inkbird says 118F. Gonna get a 4th opinion before I start tweaking stuff.
Got my fourth opinion. Dropped the temp probe for the inkbird in the bath. Now reading 137F, more in line with the kettle temp. Looks some heat sink grease is going on the next Amazon order. I have some food safe silicone grease, but not sure that stuff is good for anything other than gaskets and rubbing metal parts.

View attachment 29476

Inkbird should have a cal setting?

My rig draws about 30A full out. I have a 6ga rv cord. As funny as it is, it's cheaper to buy an RV cord and cut the end off than buy a 3 or 4 conductor 6ga cable

Got my fourth opinion. Dropped the temp probe for the inkbird in the bath. Now reading 137F, more in line with the kettle temp. Looks some heat sink grease is going on the next Amazon order. I have some food safe silicone grease, but not sure that stuff is good for anything other than gaskets and rubbing metal parts.
Is the temp probe just touching the tube or is it in contact with the liquid?

You can replace it with a 10k thermistor in a 1/2" npt

Is the temp probe just touching the tube or is it in contact with the liquid?

You can replace it with a 10k thermistor in a 1/2" npt
Just touching the inside of the well. Figured it was gonna be a pain.

Got a quick link for the thermistor and fitting? That would likely solve the problem. I’m not really happy with the thermowell that came in the RIMS kit. Not nearly deep enough to get full flow around it.

PERFECT! I can figure out how long I need it to fill the TEE enough to make sure I get an accurate measurement. YOU DA MAN!
just figure the extra space for the 1/2npt to 1/4npt adapter you will need :p

Got my Kolsch Cup scores back today. 43/50 :D can't be mad about that. My goal was to beat my last score of 39, and I even made it to the 2nd round of judging. It's not a BJCP judged event, but I'm still very pleased with myself

There's a big BJCP event in Virginia this summer called the Dominion Cup. I think I'd like to enter, but I'm not sure what style to brew. I need to decide soon
That is absolutely awesome. Congratulations. Sounds like a kolsch might be a good idea for the dominion cup.

View attachment 29474
For those who have an All Rounder, how strong is the neck & handles? The instructions recommend against lifting it when it's full of wort. But, to get it in and out of my fermentation chamber (a small chest freezer) I'll need to use the handles and it'll be full. Do I risk cracking the fermenter every time I brew? Or is it just the PRV getting plugged that they are worried about?
I never lift it full, I pump wort from the kettle into it, then push beer out into the keg with co2. I think the concern there is more to do with getting wort/berr/yeast into the pressure relief valve and having it stick.

I never lift it full, I pump wort from the kettle into it, then push beer out into the keg with co2. I think the concern there is more to do with getting wort/berr/yeast into the pressure relief valve and having it stick.
Pressure transferring from the All Rounder to a keg would be no problem. The problem is that I boil out by the in the back yard and ferment in the basement. If it's just the PRV, I could cover the opening with cling wrap. If it's the weight I'll have to come up with another method. Maybe use an intermediary bucket to transfer the wort from the back yard down to the basement and then drain into the All Rounder.

Pressure transferring from the All Rounder to a keg would be no problem. The problem is that I boil out by the in the back yard and ferment in the basement. If it's just the PRV, I could cover the opening with cling wrap. If it's the weight I'll have to come up with another method. Maybe use an intermediary bucket to transfer the wort from the back yard down to the basement and then drain into the All Rounder.
maybe something like this that would distribute the load?

1716519102982.jpeg

just get a spare PRV to use when carrying, once situated, put in a clean one.
I just sent an email to Kegland asking them about carrying the allrounder with the handles when full, I will let you know what they say.
They are very responsive, of course they are sleeping now ;)

Back