What are your favorite hops and why?

ACBEV

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm a boring old fart when it comes to hops and tend to use a small selection. Probably because of the types of beer I brew. Old fashioned English beer.

My basic list...
Fuggles
Goldings
Challenger
Cluster
Saaz
Cascade

I could do away with Challenger and Cascade and still brew 95% of my beers.But these two hops go into my Special Bitter (Challenger 60mins. Fuggles 30mins, Goldings 15mins and a little Cascade at 5mins).

Cluster and Saaz: Have been imported into the UK for a very long time (150 years at least). Cluster as a bittering hop and because it was cheap. Saaz as a finishing hop and when breweries wanted something exciting. o_O

Example of my hop usage and beer I like to brew... (Despite what you may think, this recipe is for a mild ale) :confused:

1880 XX Ale
pale malt 14.00lb
No.1 invert sugar (Golden Syrup) 2.25lb
Cluster 90 min 4.00oz
Fuggles 60 mins 2.25oz
Fuggles 30 mins 2.25oz
OG 1080
FG 1027
ABV 6.85
IBU 106
SRM 9

Hello ACBEV,
I like it. I only discovered after I started brewing that mild really meant ‘malt forward’ as opposed to something for the girls to drink in half pints. I have been intrigued by the idea of a strong mild for a while. I know you saw my comments on the intro thread about English ales needing patience. I think a mild will tend to cloying sweetness if approached to soon, but it works itself out after about three weeks. Do you think I am on the right track here?

I like Challenger for bittering.Recently did an all Challenger brew and it's gone down very well.
Others would be Chinook,Amarillo and Citra.

I try not to get too fixed on any certain hop as I haven't met a hop I didn't like;)
but lots of my beers use Magnum, either German or US. Both have a clean bittering trait. With it as a bittering hop it will match with just about any aroma hop and most styles.

Reactions: J A
-Magnum or Warrior for bittering, depending on style...smoothe and compatible

-Cluster and Saaz or Willamette for basic American-style beers...Classic flavors

-Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Columbus, sometimes Nugget or Chinook for Pales, IPAs often with "juicy" dry-hops like Mosaic or
Citra...Dank, Piney, old-school Northwest style hop profile.

-Hallertau Mittlefrue for German styles along with Tettnanger, Spalt, Saphir...love the big noble, slightly "skunky" hop flavor.

-East Kent Golding for English beers, though Fuggle is good, also...

Citra! Love the citrusy notes in our IPAs

Give me my German Noble hops! Add to it Northern Brewer, Styrian Goldings, Willamette, Crystal, Magnum. Some oddballs: Hull Melon, Mandarina Bavaria, Lemon Drop....

Give me my German Noble hops! Add to it Northern Brewer, Styrian Goldings, Willamette, Crystal, Magnum. Some oddballs: Hull Melon, Mandarina Bavaria, Lemon Drop....

Just got a pound of Madnarina Bavaria in. What do you think of this hop? I'm considering using it as a late addition in cream ales/blonde ales and the like. Maybe dry hop a pale ale with it?

Citra is my favorite. Citra/Mosaic combo is what I use in my IPA

Just got a pound of Madnarina Bavaria in. What do you think of this hop? I'm considering using it as a late addition in cream ales/blonde ales and the like. Maybe dry hop a pale ale with it?

I dry hopped a NEIPA with MB. It was good. Late addition for a blonde could be interesting.

I buy and store so many well know brands so I don't really have a favorite there all good, some even better mixed so i haven't even explored all, it really depends on the recipe

Equinox, Galaxy, Nelson Sauvin three of my favourites but oh so many yet to explore

Sazz is my favourite noble hop.

I dry hopped a NEIPA with MB. It was good. Late addition for a blonde could be interesting.
Don't overdo it - it gets harsh at high concentrations (as does Lemondrop).

Don't overdo it - it gets harsh at high concentrations (as does Lemondrop).

I have it at 14g (0.5 oz) at 10 min left in the boil for a 4.5 gallon batch. The only other hop addition is 7g of magnum at the beginning of the boil. The grist is pilsner malt (87.5%), dextrine malt (6.25%), and honey malt (6.25%). I think it should be fairly balanced, if not a little sweet.

I'm a boring old fart when it comes to hops and tend to use a small selection. Probably because of the types of beer I brew. Old fashioned English beer.

My basic list...
Fuggles
Goldings
Challenger
Cluster
Saaz
Cascade

I could do away with Challenger and Cascade and still brew 95% of my beers.But these two hops go into my Special Bitter (Challenger 60mins. Fuggles 30mins, Goldings 15mins and a little Cascade at 5mins).

Cluster and Saaz: Have been imported into the UK for a very long time (150 years at least). Cluster as a bittering hop and because it was cheap. Saaz as a finishing hop and when breweries wanted something exciting. o_O

Example of my hop usage and beer I like to brew... (Despite what you may think, this recipe is for a mild ale) :confused:

1880 XX Ale
pale malt 14.00lb
No.1 invert sugar (Golden Syrup) 2.25lb
Cluster 90 min 4.00oz
Fuggles 60 mins 2.25oz
Fuggles 30 mins 2.25oz
OG 1080
FG 1027
ABV 6.85
IBU 106
SRM 9
FG 1.027? :eek: gonna leave it a bit sweet isn't it?

since I'm brewing more ipa now I'm really likeing citra hops just for dry hopping and maybe the last few minutes of the boil. I just like the flavor and aromas it adds. but still haven't meet a hop I didn't like

Ahtanum just tried them recently and really like as a background late addition and dry hop. Saaz and cascade too, lurvley!

for an ipa or pale ale these play well together, tasted my Penguin IIPA with these, awesome flavor

Magnum
Simcoe
Citra
Amarillo
Centennial
Citra
CTZ

I rather like Amarillo and Fuggles, for different purposes.

Back