What are you drinking right now?

20210423_161725.jpg

Coffee Stout

Took a week for the coffee to mellow to the right level. I took my base American Stout and i “dry beaned” with some local, fresh roasted coffee. *Maybe* I could cut back a bit on the roasted barley when adding coffee (??) but this is a really nice beer as is.

F2C74E32-1763-4187-B784-3C9DFBB8DB6B.jpeg

Last bottle of Oatmeal Stout. It's been in the bottle for about 2 months. The oats were 8.5% of the grain bill and if I brewed it again, I would probably back it down a bit
View attachment 15439
My next brew is a stout. I'm now going to check my %oats but I think it is a bit lower.... I was also thinking of sweetening it a bit with lactose but I need to read up on levels first. Thanks for a good pointer. Chat tonight.

Going over to a friends house this evening. Kids will play, wives will talk and sip, my buddy and I will be splitting these. Not versed in sours so we’ll see. Picking up pizza from the Brew Pub and maybe a 6er in case I don’t like these.
View attachment 15419 View attachment 15420 View attachment 15421 View attachment 15422 View attachment 15423
What a night! We split each can/bottle. I liked everything I drank. I didn’t expect to like the Flanders red but I did. Now I was quite tipsy when it was all over so who knows. There was one extra, a 3.5% Gose, I didn’t have a pic of it was quite refreshing as well.

Doing a side by side with Schlafly’s Coffee Stout. Very interesting and informative to compare a home brew to a commercial example of the same style.

The Schlafly has a wonderful aroma of not just the coffee, but hints of caramel malt and chocolate. My beer’s aroma is a bit more one dimensional, coffee and a bit of roast.
Both have similar tastes though, there’s no mistaking these for anything but a Coffee Stout as the coffee comes through very nicely in both. The Schlafly might be a bit more bitter or at least more biting on the tongue (carbonation?) where mine has a softer mouthfeel...neither is a plus or minus, just different.

I think their use of some caramel malt - which I would normally never consider in a Stout - is rather brilliant when it comes to balancing the addition of the coffee. I’ll have to try that next time.

Anyway, loving them both.

98EA1B70-F005-490D-B1AE-8392B4592948.jpeg

Drinking manekin pees.
20210425_155130.jpg

Next batch is mashing In the background apply named ANZAC ale aiming for a lite blonde ale golden promise bit of Munich and some of that homemade candi sugar late in the kettle with cascade to 30ibu ish

Back