What are you drinking right now?

image.jpg

IPL hitting it's stride. I love this beer for being hoppy but not bitter. I have a hard time teaching our staff that those are 2 separate descriptions of beer, despite being usually related. I'll need to take a few bottles in to help with "training" :D
View attachment 24624
A noble task indeed.

Does "Hop flavor" (think something obvious like citra) affect the IBU calculation? I didn't think it did. Like e.g. a dry hop addition. It has to boil (-ish) for IBUs, right?

A noble task indeed.

Does "Hop flavor" (think something obvious like citra) affect the IBU calculation? I didn't think it did. Like e.g. a dry hop addition. It has to boil (-ish) for IBUs, right?
There is another bitterness well sorta and this is more in regards to the haze craze where the beers are pushed through production.
Hop burn

I've had it transferring a juiced up hazy and hitting the keg the next day that can also be a double whammy yeast and hops still left in suspension.

But this is me talking fluff again but it's a thing:)

I'm drinking what I'm gunna call mu Buckwheat Beauty :p
20230315_171718.jpg

Pool table and all extra credit right;)

There is another bitterness well sorta and this is more in regards to the haze craze where the beers are pushed through production.
Hop burn

I've had it transferring a juiced up hazy and hitting the keg the next day that can also be a double whammy yeast and hops still left in suspension.

But this is me talking fluff again but it's a thing:)

I'm drinking what I'm gunna call mu Buckwheat Beauty :pView attachment 24628
Pool table and all extra credit right;)
Yes, hop burn is a thing, but I tend to consider it a fault. I mean, would someone do that on purpose?

A noble task indeed.

IBUs are an empirically measured unit of converted iso-alpha acids per liter. To create iso-alpha acids you need heat and time. But there are bittering compounds that are naturally occurring in the hops that don't need heat and time to become bitter. Think about dissolving a hop pellet in Miller Lite; it will make it plenty bitter without any heat or time.

So adding dry hop additions can affect bitterness at certain magnitudes. This is the principal behind "hop bursting"; adding sufficient bitterness with a low/zero amount of converted iso-alpha acids due to adding all of the hops post boil (at whirlpool, dry hop, etc.)

Hop flavor and aroma are independent of the IBU calculations. IBUs come from alpha acids and flavor/aroma comes from essential oils generated in the lupilin glands. Hence, a hoppy beer without significant bitterness.

Hope that helps Don

IBUs are an empirically measured unit of converted iso-alpha acids per liter. To create iso-alpha acids you need heat and time. But there are bittering compounds that are naturally occurring in the hops that don't need heat and time to become bitter. Think about dissolving a hop pellet in Miller Lite; it will make it plenty bitter without any heat or time.

So adding dry hop additions can affect bitterness at certain magnitudes. This is the principal behind "hop bursting"; adding sufficient bitterness with a low/zero amount of converted iso-alpha acids due to adding all of the hops post boil (at whirlpool, dry hop, etc.)

Hop flavor and aroma are independent of the IBU calculations. IBUs come from alpha acids and flavor/aroma comes from essential oils generated in the lupilin glands. Hence, a hoppy beer without significant bitterness.

Hope that helps Don
It does.

Paulaner Hefe at 'Heidelburg' restaurant in Helen, Ga. Google it

EA7F36EF-32E4-425C-A125-7C72FC42A79A.jpeg

IPL hitting it's stride. I love this beer for being hoppy but not bitter. I have a hard time teaching our staff that those are 2 separate descriptions of beer, despite being usually related. I'll need to take a few bottles in to help with "training" :D
View attachment 24624

A perfect example of that is the fact that at the beginning of the craft beer movement I did not like hoppy beers and avoided all IPAs. Turns out I love hoppy beers, just not hoppy & bitter ones. I discovered this when I bought a sampler pack from New Glarus Brewery. It contained a beer called Moon Man. Lots of hop aroma and flavor but very restrained bitterness. It is now one of my favorite beers.

Paulaner Hefe at 'Heidelburg' restaurant in Helen, Ga. Google it

Cool place. My FIL lives about an hour north of Helen and we try to make time to head down there when we visit him. I've never been during their Oktoberfest festivities though.

Cool place. My FIL lives about an hour north of Helen and we try to make time to head down there when we visit him. I've never been during their Oktoberfest festivities though.
Meh. Way too crowded with tourists then. Perhaps if you seek the Oktoberfest Tent vibe, but not my best idea of fun.

Otherwise, the rest of the year, a nice slice of German food and drink. The junk on sale, not so much...

A perfect example of that is the fact that at the beginning of the craft beer movement I did not like hoppy beers and avoided all IPAs. Turns out I love hoppy beers, just not hoppy & bitter ones. I discovered this when I bought a sampler pack from New Glarus Brewery. It contained a beer called Moon Man. Lots of hop aroma and flavor but very restrained bitterness. It is now one of my favorite beers.
Lots of aroma and flavour with restrained bitterness suits me very well. I tend to use between a quarter and a half of the hop pellets that come with some of the extract kits I use. That way I know the beer isn't at its maximum bitterness, have some flexibility with the next batch and can taste how much character it has otherwise. Keeping the bitterness under control can effectively raise or 'bring out' the relevant prominence of other aspects and overall quality that might otherwise be masked by an all out bitterness. Example, I wouldn't like stout or porter without the bitterness but I would be disappointed if I couldn't also detect elements of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, combinations etc.

Nice deck!
Yeah, composites do look great. But, lemme tell ya, they’re slicker than greased monkey snot when there’s a little frost on there. Did my front stoop with it. Wound up getting rotator cuff surgery the following winter after I did a backwards and upside down Superman. Grabbed the railing while still airborne, the results being 3 ruptures of the labrum and torn ligaments. Never mind going down all 9 steps on my keester Didn’t do my lumbar any favors, either. That was a bad morning. And I didn’t have a good beer to wash away some of injuries to my pride. I’m normally sure-footed as a billy goat.

6B5F86E2-C50B-4911-A28B-78816FC1BE6C.jpeg

Chocolate Oatmeal Stout after a long day of renovations. This has to be the best one I’ve ever done. I’m thinking Maris Otter will be my goto malt. Could use a tiny bit more bitterness, but very boozy going down with good malt forward taste. Laces all the way to the bottom of the glass, if I don’t drink it straight from the bottle.

Back