What are you drinking right now?

n an effort to build up a bunch of kveik that I can harvest & dry, I'm fermenting a hefeweizen on the kveik yeast cake, which took off hugely after 90 min. Just for fun, I also made a yeast log, dipping it in the kraeusen and hanging it to dry.

That looks like a standard 2x4. My concern there would be is it food-grade? By that I mean if it's pressure treated wood then it will have nasty chemicals injected into it. If it's not pressure treated then who knows. Maybe get a scrap piece of 4x4 and slice about an inch off all sides?

That looks like a standard 2x4. My concern there would be is it food-grade? By that I mean if it's pressure treated wood then it will have nasty chemicals injected into it. If it's not pressure treated then who knows. Maybe get a scrap piece of 4x4 and slice about an inch off all sides?
Just go out in the woods and cut yourself a 2" branch from the tree of your choice and let it dry. Boil it, let it dry again and you have your beer log, no risk of pressure treatment chemicals.

A pint of my C&C (Crisp & Clean) IPA and a double shot of Evan. Been out vacuuming leaves and blowing crap out into the alley. After the meds, time to clean the grills and smoker. No rest for the wicked !

C&C.jpg

Just go out in the woods and cut yourself a 2" branch from the tree of your choice and let it dry. Boil it, let it dry again and you have your beer log, no risk of pressure treatment chemicals.
Well I've been giving it a bit of thought and settled upon a similar approach for sanitation boiling/steaming the log in my HLT either that or a bake in the Webber would work too but I'm guessing boiling would be better to really soak into the wood.

Breckenridge Brewery vanilla porter. Really tasty, but certainly very roasty
View attachment 13121
Big fan of Breckenridge but hard to get a hold of here in the Northeast. Can usually find the vanilla porter, other varieties are tougher. I really like the Avalanche Ale though. Also like their agave wheat. Has me wanting to play around with agave but not sure how that'll go.

Breckenridge Brewery vanilla porter. Really tasty, but certainly very roasty
View attachment 13121
I just finished a few of those as well. I really had to squint to find the vanilla. I thought it was ok, but I was hoping for better from Breckinridge.

I just finished a few of those as well. I really had to squint to find the vanilla. I thought it was ok, but I was hoping for better from Breckinridge.
Yea the vanilla is more of an essence, rather than punch in the nose flavor. My local Safeway has had this in stock pretty consistently lately, so I thought I'd try it.

Breckenridge vanilla porter used to be a much better beer. I don't want to blame AB Inbev, but I remember enjoying it at the original brewery and at the downtown Denver brewery many times. Up until maybe 3 or 4 years ago, even the bottled version was good, now the vanilla and depth are lacking.

Breckenridge vanilla porter used to be a much better beer. I don't want to blame AB Inbev, but I remember enjoying it at the original brewery and at the downtown Denver brewery many times. Up until maybe 3 or 4 years ago, even the bottled version was good, now the vanilla and depth are lacking.
It's been probably atleast that long since I've had the porter. Hope their other beers aren't suffering too

It's been probably atleast that long since I've had the porter. Hope their other beers aren't suffering too
We still buy their beer on a regular basis, and while I don't drink them as much, my wife and kids enjoy them. They're good, easy drinking beers.

@CausticWolf I'm slurping some goat ipa inspired by a post from you and because I'm on a brief holiday and the beer technically free:D
20201206_153640.jpg

Very tasty indeed a step up from their Hornet.

The beer is more pale yellow not orange.
Hops Mosaic- Amarillo- Eldorado

Will have to have a crack at brewing one of their beers next year their all on here...
Hops dont line up though:rolleyes:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/976012/goat-hazy-ipa-23l

Last edited:
Any tasting notes? Any info on the bottle? Curious as to what SA adds to make it a “Holiday” Porter and whether or not those additions show up in the finished beer.
I have to admit that I really haven’t ever found a Holiday/Christmas/Spiced beer that I’m willing to buy a second time. I usually find them a muddled mess, or tasting like the cloves from a dinner ham. Because of this I usually avoid them, but I trust SA and I love Porters, so I might be willing to give this a shot.

Back