What are you drinking right now?

More local stuff...Roy Pitz Smoked Lager benefit of PA's new liquor laws..I didn't have to drive to Chambersburg..picked this up at the Giant in Gettysburg.
These guys make a smoked stout that tastes as good as its name...Impetuous Irish Prig! Truly "Liquid Art"
View attachment 11745
Very nice! Properly done, I like smoked beer. There's a local brewery here that does a smoked chipotle porter that really good but that's about as close to smoked I've seen around here in years.

20200902_230024.jpg

I LOVE Paulaner. Not had the Hofbräu version but love their Dunkel and Helles. That glass is sweet!

The HB had a very clean, very smooth flavor. I know it's an overused descriptor but, it was balanced perfectly. Neither the hops nor the malt was dominant. The flavor was just awesome. The Pauliner Martzen leans to the malty side but, I really love the crystal malt flavor.

My son bought me the glass a few years ago when his class went to the German Christmas Market in Chicago. I don't use it often, but excellent beers from Germany demanded an fancy glass from Germany.

This is the source recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/788056/kveik-smash-. I'm listing this link because I want to give credit where credit is due. However, I made the following changes:
* Switched the Golden Promise to Maris Otter because that is what I had on hand.
* Reduced amount of grain by 1/3 because I didn't want a 9% beer for a summer thirst-quencher.
* Switched the yeast to WLP521 because LHBS was out of Omega OYL-091.

The El Dorado hops gave a wonderful tropical fruit/citrus aroma with a hint of pineapple. Even though it was a Double IPA the hop bitterness was perfect; not over the top at all. I definitely be making this one again, but will try it with the original recipe's grain and yeast.

I was just looking at the original recipe and realized that it was supposed to be a 90 minute boil. I did 60. I may increase the boil time the next time I brew this, but I liked the bitterness where it was, so maybe I'll leave it at 60. It'll be a game time decision.

Manning the pit with a Janet's Brown Ale. I'm adding a bit more smoke to our incredibly smokey area. The wild fire right above us has grown and all the smoke is just rolling over the foothills and settling in. It's snowing ash and eyes, nose, and throat burn from this going on for almost a month now.
IMG_20200906_131916.jpg

We've got a freakish storm blowing in Tuesday that should hopefully bring in snow and rain.

The HB had a very clean, very smooth flavor. I know it's an overused descriptor but, it was balanced perfectly. Neither the hops nor the malt was dominant. The flavor was just awesome. The Pauliner Martzen leans to the malty side but, I really love the crystal malt flavor.

My son bought me the glass a few years ago when his class went to the German Christmas Market in Chicago. I don't use it often, but excellent beers from Germany demanded an fancy glass from Germany.
I too love the Pauliner~ mostly due to the malty flavor! - I feel like I should go out and get a couple myself!

The picture below is the Oktoberfest I made for my dad's annual Oktoberfest party. I bottled 4 of them (for me) and kegged the rest for the party... I'll be downing one of the bottles here in a few minutes! It isn't 100% clear yet but should clear up soon (maybe the bottled version will be clearer)

20200905_163221_HDR.jpg

I too love the Pauliner~ mostly due to the malty flavor! - I feel like I should go out and get a couple myself!

The picture below is the Oktoberfest I made for my dad's annual Oktoberfest party. I bottled 4 of them (for me) and kegged the rest for the party... I'll be downing one of the bottles here in a few minutes! It isn't 100% clear yet but should clear up soon (maybe the bottled version will be clearer)

View attachment 11793
Nice curvey Sam Adams glass! That beer looks good, great color.

I’d probably really like the Hofbräu one as well then. I need to pick a recipe and try to make an Oktoberfest. I prefer Paulaner to Sam Adams by a mile for one.

Back