What are you doing with homebrew today?

Thanks Craig. For the past few months I have been dealing with the demise of my father. There is still plenty of work to do, but I am home for a brief respite from the madness.
I feel for you Herm, lost my Mom in 2001, and may Dad in 2011, difficult times losing a parent, hold his memory in your heart and he will live forever.

Bought 3 gallons of apple juice for $15. It's a similar cost to buying grains for a 4 gallon batch, so I'm happy. I'll add 0.5-1 gallon of water to dilute for a lower abv. I'll also add some calcium chloride and yeast nutrient to make the yeasties happy

For now is still no so hot weathear here 25 day 6-7 Celsius at night so there is no some special need to cold it yet.
But Wen I will need to set it to 11 i will use sure a bigger bottle of cold liquid.
Also I will put it in the refrigerator (the top door) wich can reach -8 to -10.
If I don't see any progress i will use coil.
(It's ok if i use copper?)
Yeah stainless is better but copper is fine

1.009 predicted. Getting close. I don’t usually get attenuation over 70% with this yeast?
IMG_1631.jpeg

I am back in the saddle today, about halfway thru the mash for Partial Eclipse Wheat (PEW). If on target, the day will give me ~2.5 gallons of 1.048 wort with ~35 IBU’s. Before packaging (not sure yet if I will have a beer fridge, so not sure if this batch will go in bottles or a keg), this will get 3-4 days dry hopped with half an ounce of Mandarina Bavaria for some citrus aroma and flavor.

Transferred sessions ipa to oxebar keg and a 1.5 pet bottle and put apple juice on the trub for a simple cider.
Sessions is now carbonating
What size OxeBar keg(s) do you have? The 8L or 4L? Kinda thinking about that method for my switch to kegging. What do you do for cleaning them? If they're kept wet, it shouldn't take much more than a thorough rinse or vigorous agitation of water in them, then sanitizer. Or maybe just store them full of sanitizer? Just curious what you do with 'em between batches.

8 litres
The 4 is still not available here.
As for cleaning: when they are empty, more or less, I rinse them with warm water to get rid of whatever trub.
Fill again with water. add lid, shake and drain
They work well, but are a bit flimsy.
If you fill them totally and drain by holding them upside down, they look like they collapse. They don't, but better to empty them slowly.
Also: first 2 I got came from a shop at 2400 mtr altitude and I am at 400, so they looked imploded. Didn't do them any harm, but when I bought the next 2, I asked them to put a little pressure in them before shipping.

It's a very easy size to manage and I make small batches anyway.
If I remember correct, @Mark Farrall also has oxebar kegs

I wouldn't mind a couple of 4 litre ones.

8 litres
The 4 is still not available here.
As for cleaning: when they are empty, more or less, I rinse them with warm water to get rid of whatever trub.
Fill again with water. add lid, shake and drain
They work well, but are a bit flimsy.
If you fill them totally and drain by holding them upside down, they look like they collapse. They don't, but better to empty them slowly.
Also: first 2 I got came from a shop at 2400 mtr altitude and I am at 400, so they looked imploded. Didn't do them any harm, but when I bought the next 2, I asked them to put a little pressure in them before shipping.

It's a very easy size to manage and I make small batches anyway.
If I remember correct, @Mark Farrall also has oxebar kegs

I wouldn't mind a couple of 4 litre ones.
Yeah, I was thinking the 4 liter ones would let me swap out what I have in the fridge without it taking forever to cool down, never mind they'd fit in there easier. I'd still likely finish off a 4L before feeling like changing it out, but wouldn't have to worry about letting one warm back up after chilling it, and possibly rupturing the cap or bottle.

Still a bit better than bottling though. Not quite as many of them, and don't have to handle the beer again nor add anything to it, which of course reduces contamination risk. A little pricey, but then I think about what I've spent on bottles and all the labor cleaning them ..... I'm a cheapskate too, LOL.

I don't know the price for the 4 litre but the 8, incl tapping head was around 20 dollar.
Corny keg as is, so no carbonation lid, dip line etc is around 120 dollar...

I don't know the price for the 4 litre but the 8, incl tapping head was around 20 dollar.
Corny keg as is, so no carbonation lid, dip line etc is around 120 dollar...
Similar prices here. IIRC, it shows the price a dollar cheaper for each multiple of 10 of the bottles, or maybe I'm confusing that with the price for bandsaw sawmill blades? I go down a lotta rabbit holes when I get bored at the PC.

Kegged Saturday's brew this morning, then went in for an Umbilical Hernia surgery. All went well, but I had to keg that brew before the procedure as I can't lift more than 10 lbs for the next 4 weeks. Not that I do any lifting with my process, but not wanting compromise my recovery, I felt it best to get it in the keg.
One really nice thing abou the allrounder and using a floating dip tube is that you can tilt it with great ease as you get near the bottom to get as much nectar as possible in the keg...
20240410_090315.jpg

Kegged Saturday's brew this morning, then went in for an Umbilical Hernia surgery. All went well, but I had to keg that brew before the procedure as I can't lift more than 10 lbs for the next 4 weeks. Not that I do any lifting with my process, but not wanting compromise my recovery, I felt it best to get it in the keg.
One really nice thing abou the allrounder and using a floating dip tube is that you can tilt it with great ease as you get near the bottom to get as much nectar as possible in the keg...
View attachment 29055
Glad everything went well Craig!

View attachment 29055
Has that many years ago, and as I remember even driving was difficult after 3 or 4 weeks. Best wishes for a painless recovery. Maybe have a beer or two next week...

Get better quick, fella.

That last statement is another thing I liked about the AllRounder when I looked at it. It will actually pivot and rest on it's stand leaning over, and stay put. The stand for the FF7.9 (and the fermenter) will sit any way you want, as long as it's straight up. I've found that despite harvesting the trub/yeast after about a week of fermentation, I still get quite a bit of yeast when I get ready to package. There also seems to be a lot of fine 'silt' from the trub/yeast that seems to stick to the side of the conical and washes off as the level drops. The lower it goes, the faster it drops because of decreased surface area, ergo more stuff washed off the walls. Do you get mush 'silt' wash when you tilt it?

Get better quick, fella.

That last statement is another thing I liked about the AllRounder when I looked at it. It will actually pivot and rest on it's stand leaning over, and stay put. The stand for the FF7.9 (and the fermenter) will sit any way you want, as long as it's straight up. I've found that despite harvesting the trub/yeast after about a week of fermentation, I still get quite a bit of yeast when I get ready to package. There also seems to be a lot of fine 'silt' from the trub/yeast that seems to stick to the side of the conical and washes off as the level drops. The lower it goes, the faster it drops because of decreased surface area, ergo more stuff washed off the walls. Do you get mush 'silt' wash when you tilt it?
I tilt it just a wee bit at a time as it gets nearer to the bottom, and I find that I get a very clean transfer 99% of the time. Even with brews like this last one with a shit ton of loose hops in it. I am using a floating dip tube with a filter on the end which helps as well. It's a beauty set up, I love it!

I tilt it just a wee bit at a time as it gets nearer to the bottom, and I find that I get a very clean transfer 99% of the time. Even with brews like this last one with a shit ton of loose hops in it. I am using a floating dip tube with a filter on the end which helps as well. It's a beauty set up, I love it!
Me too a careful tilt I get more clear beer at the end

Back