What are you doing with homebrew today?

I just worked up my version of @Trialben Bunyip 2.0 for the Q1 2023 BF Community Brew. The IBU’s calculated for my version are much higher than Ben’s, and that’s OK for me, if it actually pans out. I have a feeling this beer won’t turn out 70+ IBU’s strong. I’m looking forward to brewing this next, but I need to bottle my PNW IPA to free up a fermenter.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1346262/herms-bunyip
I can pretty much guarantee you will get better than 72% from BRY97. It’s only numbers, but you could safely set it for 75% and even that will probably be low.

I worked mine up as well and it’s very similar. I have a Cream Ale next, but I think I’m going to squeeze this in early February.
All Pennsylvania malt, so a little change of the name.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1346286/pa-bunyip

I just worked up my version of @Trialben Bunyip 2.0 for the Q1 2023 BF Community Brew. The IBU’s calculated for my version are much higher than Ben’s, and that’s OK for me, if it actually pans out. I have a feeling this beer won’t turn out 70+ IBU’s strong. I’m looking forward to brewing this next, but I need to bottle my PNW IPA to free up a fermenter.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1346262/herms-bunyip
Yup that's near spot on mate!
I like your use of Munich 2 will be interesting to see how orange it comes through?
Yeah don't worry about the hop stand ibus too much I think their off.

Ballanced profile is a safe bet you could favour sulphates just slightly but as is looks great.

You'll enjoy the hop combo too I'm sure

I'll be trying a recipe based on https://chat.openai.com/chat
The AI appears pretty smart, it can generate some recipes for you, and you can list your inventory and based on it, can generate a recipe:
For example, It generated this lager recipe for me which i'll be trying this weekend;

upload_2023-1-11_10-50-53.png

In short;
4kg of Pilsner malt
1.5kg of Vienna

mash @ 66°C for 60 mins
20g Summit @ 60
15g Pacific Jade @ 15
15g Hallertau @ 5

Brought my Helles inside to sit in the low 60s. I’m at 1.020. Nice and cold from 1.045 to 1.026. Got a back room that was sitting at 60fmsp that’s where it sat last night and will stay through the week. Turned up spunding valve to hopefully hit around 15.

I was going to edit this down or delete it altogether once I realised how long it was but hey ho somebody might find my warblings of interest.

In the middle of a break from brewing for a few weeks mainly due to slowing down my intake and also subsequently having less storage vessels. Been doing some thinking (yes including about beer) and organizing.

Did a full inventory followed by a revised schedule for 2023. Couldn't post last night as my internet went down right at the death.

Repeating myself a bit from elsewhere here but am now in a better place (mentally speaking).

I'm trimming back operations this year after going hell for leather on the brewing side since the start of COVID. On a couple of occasions I was drinking more than usual to make space for a new brew. I exercise virtually every day but still piled a bit of flab on which I am not putting down to food as I actually ate fairly lightly this time.

Not unrelated I don't think; popped my lumber region out again for the first time in ages a few days ago, just easing off this morning. Old football injury I picked up in training way back in 91. That's a relief though as it can sometimes put me out of action for up to a fortnight. Done some core-strengthening physio on my back over the last couple of years which along with the shiatsu I think may have started just in time to prep for old age.

I really struggled lifting the 5 gal keg into the kitchen just before Christmas. Didn't quite do my shoulder but came close and it was sore through most of the holiday. I need to consider at what point this strategy stops being sensible. I did slosh the Brown Ale a bit in the process although it doesn't seem to have been affected. Such a great keg done me great service and paid for itself many times over. Maybe I should just settle on that with some reflection.

I finally put the two troublesome 2 gal plastic kegs in storage for spare parts or if I ever get hold of some appropriate sealant. Even if that happens I will only have two on the go at once in future. The other two I have (filled early Nov late Dec respectively) are still behaving fine but I have to check them everyday such is my paranoia following the leaks with those aforementioned. Really does look like a case of a bad batch off the mass production line but could be a design flaw. Time will tell but they certainly are not as good quality as previous and they cost more.

Tough timing with the supplier going bust circa June/July as they had already replaced one dodgy keg without fuss. Putting it into perspective: on my part it is two relatively cheap kegs by today's prices; they on the other hand were a family firm and I feel much worse for them than myself. Seriously hoping that I don't hear of anybody else in homebrewing go under this year but these are uncertain times. I remain highly suspicious of over used terms like sustainable development. I am sure some folks envision a world without farming. Well hands up my family were part of Ferguson-Brown Tractors so I guess I could be a little biased there.

Since acquired ten aluminium 1 gals now - all started off full of various beers (no darks) 7 of which I have tried and successfully refilled with my own brews without issues. So plenty storage beyond 2 & 1 litre plastic bottles. Each time I have gone to grab some Grolsch for the swing tops, they've only had it in cans. I want a free bottle at the prices they charge these days. But re-using is also practical and dare I say it environmentally friendly. It is why I hate throwing anything out more than being a skinflint (which I do not deny I am either). I still haven't forgiven myself for getting rid of my collection of French wine bottles before I moved into this place as it turned out I did have the space after all. I had some real beauties.

I'll be trying a recipe based on https://chat.openai.com/chat
The AI appears pretty smart, it can generate some recipes for you, and you can list your inventory and based on it, can generate a recipe:
For example, It generated this lager recipe for me which i'll be trying this weekend;

View attachment 23801

In short;
4kg of Pilsner malt
1.5kg of Vienna

mash @ 66°C for 60 mins
20g Summit @ 60
15g Pacific Jade @ 15
15g Hallertau @ 5
Now if only the AI would clean my equipment...

I was going to edit this down or delete it altogether once I realised how long it was but hey ho somebody might find my warblings of interest.

In the middle of a break from brewing for a few weeks mainly due to slowing down my intake and also subsequently having less storage vessels. Been doing some thinking (yes including about beer) and organizing.

Did a full inventory followed by a revised schedule for 2023. Couldn't post last night as my internet went down right at the death.

Repeating myself a bit from elsewhere here but am now in a better place (mentally speaking).

I'm trimming back operations this year after going hell for leather on the brewing side since the start of COVID. On a couple of occasions I was drinking more than usual to make space for a new brew. I exercise virtually every day but still piled a bit of flab on which I am not putting down to food as I actually ate fairly lightly this time.

Not unrelated I don't think; popped my lumber region out again for the first time in ages a few days ago, just easing off this morning. Old football injury I picked up in training way back in 91. That's a relief though as it can sometimes put me out of action for up to a fortnight. Done some core-strengthening physio on my back over the last couple of years which along with the shiatsu I think may have started just in time to prep for old age.

I really struggled lifting the 5 gal keg into the kitchen just before Christmas. Didn't quite do my shoulder but came close and it was sore through most of the holiday. I need to consider at what point this strategy stops being sensible. I did slosh the Brown Ale a bit in the process although it doesn't seem to have been affected. Such a great keg done me great service and paid for itself many times over. Maybe I should just settle on that with some reflection.

I finally put the two troublesome 2 gal plastic kegs in storage for spare parts or if I ever get hold of some appropriate sealant. Even if that happens I will only have two on the go at once in future. The other two I have (filled early Nov late Dec respectively) are still behaving fine but I have to check them everyday such is my paranoia following the leaks with those aforementioned. Really does look like a case of a bad batch off the mass production line but could be a design flaw. Time will tell but they certainly are not as good quality as previous and they cost more.

Tough timing with the supplier going bust circa June/July as they had already replaced one dodgy keg without fuss. Putting it into perspective: on my part it is two relatively cheap kegs by today's prices; they on the other hand were a family firm and I feel much worse for them than myself. Seriously hoping that I don't hear of anybody else in homebrewing go under this year but these are uncertain times. I remain highly suspicious of over used terms like sustainable development. I am sure some folks envision a world without farming. Well hands up my family were part of Ferguson-Brown Tractors so I guess I could be a little biased there.

Since acquired ten aluminium 1 gals now - all started off full of various beers (no darks) 7 of which I have tried and successfully refilled with my own brews without issues. So plenty storage beyond 2 & 1 litre plastic bottles. Each time I have gone to grab some Grolsch for the swing tops, they've only had it in cans. I want a free bottle at the prices they charge these days. But re-using is also practical and dare I say it environmentally friendly. It is why I hate throwing anything out more than being a skinflint (which I do not deny I am either). I still haven't forgiven myself for getting rid of my collection of French wine bottles before I moved into this place as it turned out I did have the space after all. I had some real beauties.
Two comments on this long-but-not-too-long post.

Ask them to order you a case of Grolsch in bottles, almost every bottle shop will be happy to do so.

And the only world without farming is a world without people. Some folks just can't think straight.

Not really me but Tap was partly on..Kim cleaned up about half a gallon while I was at school. Lost some dunkel. :(

I'm about to check on simple cider.
She's been in the fermenter for a week now. Fingers crossed as it's my test batch after infection.
If all good, then I'll be brewing tomorrow.
Just haven't decided on what yet

All looks normal :D
4 x 1 litre cider bottled & 2 x 0.5 ltr.
Simple cider in simple bottles. Pet bottles. Via the spigot straight in bottles. Ready next week. All drunk not long thereafter , so not worried about oxidation

Cleaned my tap and line today. Thinking about how to add a 2nd one to the tower. I could leave the original tap at 0' and add another at either -45' or 45', but then it would be asymmetrical. I could also turn the tower around and add 2 holes at both 45' angles. I need to think about whether I have the room to add a 3rd keg/line in the future, because if that's the goal then -45', 0', and 45' would look best. It's a 3 inch diameter tower so I technically have room for more than 2 shanks, but it'll be tight

Cleaned my tap and line today. Thinking about how to add a 2nd one to the tower. I could leave the original tap at 0' and add another at either -45' or 45', but then it would be asymmetrical. I could also turn the tower around and add 2 holes at both 45' angles. I need to think about whether I have the room to add a 3rd keg/line in the future, because if that's the goal then -45', 0', and 45' would look best. It's a 3 inch diameter tower so I technically have room for more than 2 shanks, but it'll be tight
https://www.google.com/search?q=tap...biw=1422&bih=990&dpr=0.9#imgrc=_LQkaKwytcDALM

I picked up grains, hops and yeast from lhbs The Home Fermenter to brew @Trialben Bunyip. Had to sub Warrior hops for Magnum hops, but that should be OK. I also picked up an insert for the FerMonster for dry hops additions.
Later today, I’ll be bottling my PNW IPA to open up fermenter space for the Bunyip.

Back