What are you doing with homebrew today?

Well that sucked. My kettles digital temp read as I expected each time I walked by. I usually stir a few times here and there. So it read 153 I took off the lid to stir. Temp jumped to 172! I figured got to be the electric kettle being wrong. Checked the temp and it was 172. So who knows what will happen here. I do dough in about at about 140 and let it get to my mash temp which in this case was 152 so hopefully that time at the beginning will make it ok. I may throw in some brown sugar in the boil and if the beer is stronger it will just be something other than intended

Sounds like th trouble I was having with my Anvil while cooling, the solids whether trub or mash etc cover the temp probe and it dosent see the proper temp. I had to make a suction line that pulls from around the probe.

At the hops farm, they stripped the vines and then picked out the leaves. A pair of work gloves might make stripping easier. Separating out the leaves was done with a fan - leaves travel a lot farther than hops cones.

Dunno, maybe that helps??

I should be bottling today.
Let's see what the temperature will do today. Expectation is for 38 oC. May postpone for a day...

Just took off the airlock lid and put on a normal corny lid and spunding valve. OG was 1.041 and right now it sits at 1.025. Pretty fast working yeast

Harvesting Centennial hops today. First string.
20210829_164904.jpg

Picked the Cluster and the Northern Brewer, I was a week late on the Cluster..been working out of town, Dad's been in quarantine. Salvaged about 1/3 of the Cluster(still more than I'll ever use in a year). Northern Brewer in my back yard was about perfect for picking, unfortunately the new planting in the hops yard over to Dad's place was already gone.

I'll finish up the out of town job by Tuesday and hopefully get to work on the Sterling. The Saaz isn't ready to pick quite yet, but it's close.

Just watching two fermenters. The Irish Ale from last Friday’s brew is finished fermenting I just need to make sure the temp doesn’t get too high and let it sit comfortably until we transfer it. Yesterday’s Boddingtons homage is a few points away from FG, spunding valve set at 15 psi so I should have 1.75 volumes of co2.

Dry hopped or wet pulped my passionfruit saison this evening.
20210831_201700.jpg

Method cleaned boiled and sanitized bag and 1lt jug + twine.
Added .5g SMB to mix let sit for 10mins then dumped into kegmenter.
Worked out about 900g+ passionfruit pulp jug weighs 300g
Wowie that's 1.9kg passionfruit pulp in 21lt batch :D

Back