What are you doing with homebrew today?

Nothing much.
The tamarind on my plot is fruiting, got some youngs ones. Just peeled and cleaned them somewhat.
Then gonna boil it for a couple minutes and I am thinking of adding the juice to a batch of cider.
It's great stuff, very sour, but very tasty and a hint of sweetness

Spent the morning cleaning up from yesterday's brew session. Hot PBW circulated through the system, including the counterflow chiller. There is a visible difference in the stainless where it soaked and above that line.

I am getting ready to brew my IPA of the 3 C’s. And wouldn’t you know, this morning the Argentine ants are invading, coming out of the walls, electrical outlets and baseboards. So I will be multi-tasking, with help from Peet the Cat
image.jpg

Argentine ants have been a problem here in So Cal all of my life (55+ years). I have fought them off around the outside of my home (a condominium that shares walls with 2 neighbors), but I can’t control entry on neighbors’ homes. The ants seem to be laying low this afternoon, though this morning they were all about.

Argentine ants have been a problem here in So Cal all of my life (55+ years). I have fought them off around the outside of my home (a condominium that shares walls with 2 neighbors), but I can’t control entry on neighbors’ homes. The ants seem to be laying low this afternoon, though this morning they were all about.
Might try some baits for them that way they can collect it and take it back into the walls where you can't get to them.

Might try some baits for them that way they can collect it and take it back into the walls where you can't get to them.
I hate to use any poison inside the home, but your point is well taken.

Amen no dramas sometimes in life we gotta up the Ante to get the job done.
Now to put your mind at ease one produce we use for ants active is Fipronil but here's the clincher actual chemical rate in product it's .1g/kg of active ingredient .

Manufacturer is American I'm sure
ENSYSTIX is the company
Product = hymanopthor ultra
That's what I'd probably use In your circumstances
And or some gel bait.
Look em up you might be able to get some but I doubt it you need to be licenced so to speak...

Some ant baits use non-poisonous poison. You can (literally) drink the stuff. But not all ants go for it. Look for Terro Liquid Ant Baits. And try to keep the cats away: it wont harm them, but they can spill it, diminishing its effectiveness.

That being said, Ben's stuff with 0.1 grams per kg seems pretty diluted...

I have been chasing them all day, in the kitchen, and an upstairs bedroom and its attached bathroom. Simple Green, diluted 10:1 with water. Kills ants on contact, then just wipe up the mess. Then they come back. Repeat.
I have two Terro Liquid Baits left, but have never deployed inside our home. I’ll read the label.
I am glad they left me alone yesterday while I brewed. My wife partially spilled my OG hydrometer sample last night - I thought I had that spill all cleaned up, but the ants proved me wrong this morning.
So I deployed a couple baits (Terro) in the impacted locations. We’ll see what the ants are doing in the morning.

Last edited:
Donoroto made me this tap handle, which turned out so cool. I don't have any taps to put it on, so I might set it up as a lighted trophy. The medals from the NHC aren't nearly this cool.

Thanks, Don! Beers on it's way.

View attachment 16894
That is pretty effing cool!

Usually a star San guy but got some iodophor after reading another thread. Got my fermentation keg on the keg washer sanitizing. I have an adapter that also runs through the dip tube. Figured this will be extra insurance. I plan to brew in a few days so I’ll probably still use some star San because why not.
Finalizing Recipe for another Munich Dunkel as well.

Back