What are you doing with homebrew today?

Working on my equipment upgrade plans today. Our new apartment isn't ready until mid-August, so it's hard to resist the temptation to buy equipment right now :rolleyes: but I can still window shop! lol I'm thinking first up will be a mini fridge and temp controller. That should tide me over until black Friday when I can more affordably aquire a keg and CO2 system...
Awesome I look forward to what you decide on buying.:)

There's a guy a few hours up the road with a couple new 3 gallon kegs for sale and it has taken most of my will power to not shoot him an email about it :D I'm not ready for kegs yet...but hopefully soon!
I said this to my Mrs yesterday good things take time to come around no need to rush a slow and steady approach will help you decide what will fit your brewing needs;).
I've been slowly building my home brewery for many years:)

I said this to my Mrs yesterday good things take time to come around no need to rush a slow and steady approach will help you decide what will fit your brewing needs;).
I've been slowly building my home brewery for many years:)
I also think I want 5 gallon kegs, even though I won't be filling them fully until I do a kettle upgrade (which is not currently on the schedule). I would hate to shoehorn myself into a keg size and wish I had gone bigger. But fitting a 5 gallon keg into a mini fridge takes a very specific-shaped fridge and I want to buy used, so it's like you said, just gotta sit back and do my research and wait for the right opportunity :D

I also think I want 5 gallon kegs, even though I won't be filling them fully until I do a kettle upgrade (which is not currently on the schedule). I would hate to shoehorn myself into a keg size and wish I had gone bigger. But fitting a 5 gallon keg into a mini fridge takes a very specific-shaped fridge and I want to buy used, so it's like you said, just gotta sit back and do my research and wait for the right opportunity :D

Boxing yourself in is exactly what I thought of when you mentioned getting a mini-fridge. Granted, you don't want to waste money on something that has almost no chance of ever being utilized, but in my brewing history, I've found that I've talked myself out of buying bigger or better only to have to buy the bigger/better item later when I found out I really did need it.

Last edited:
Boxing yourself in is exactly what I thought of when you mentioned getting a mini-fridge. Granted, you don't want to waste money on something that has almost no chance of ever being utilized, but in my brewing history, I've found that I've talked myself out of buying bigger or better only to have to buy the bigger/better item later when I find out I really did it.
Same I screwed up and got a mini fridge

Used full-size fridge in the garage. Fits 5 kegs easily or 2 kegs and a fermenter. And there's a freezer for the hops...
Facebook Marketplace, NextDoor, Craigslist, etc... all have these things for cheap cheap if you're not in an extreme hurry.
Chest freezers are good too, if it is too short inside, just make a wood 'ring' and raise the lid, a'la kegerator.

If I had a garage or extra bedroom, regular fridge or chest freezer would be my go to, but alas, I'm moving into a one bedroom apartment. I've seen a few mini fridges that will hold some kegs and a CO2 cylinder. Homebrewtalk has a whole thread dedicated to mini fridges for kegerators. Just have to do my research and measure, measure, measure

Well, you might need to decide which is more important: Cold food, or cold beer. :rolleyes:

Ha ha. Think like a Catholic, you need to convert the non-believers...

I feel like a bit of a fridge glutton.
We have the big ass fridge in the kitchen of course.
Used fridge in the basement for kegs, and hops storage in the freezer.
Two used fridges in the garage, one for overflow food, and assorted cold beverages, the other is a dedicated fermenting fridge.
Sadly the fermenting fridge has been empty and unplugged now for 2 months:(

There's a guy a few hours up the road with a couple new 3 gallon kegs for sale and it has taken most of my will power to not shoot him an email about it :D I'm not ready for kegs yet...but hopefully soon!
Get them and store them some place. The cost of kegs keeps going up like gas prices.

The last couple of kegs I bought were 2.5 gal kegs and a 1 gal keg. When you want that small batch. 2 gallons of beer in a 5 gal keg is a waste of CO2.

The last couple of kegs I bought were 2.5 gal kegs and a 1 gal keg. When you want that small batch. 2 gallons of beer in a 5 gal keg is a waste of CO2.
My goal will be to spund in the keg, so I'll utilize the CO2 produced during fermentation. Theoretically :) any CO2 from the cylinder will just push the beer around

Gotta find a fridge that fits the 3 gal fermonster, which is the same diameter as a pin lock keg so at least I know the width of the kegs will have clearance. Height is the next criteria to fulfill, but luckily pin lock legs are shorter and I can buy one with posts/disconnects converted to ball lock if desired

Back