What are you doing with homebrew today?

Well this is what happened. Today I bought from lhbs a used, refurbished and pressure tested 5 gallon ball lock Corny keg, a 5 pound (filled) CO2 tank, a dual guage regulator, a gas line assembly and a picnic tap assembly. Picked up from lhbs this afternoon. The guy at the shop picked out what he felt was the best looking keg in the house. I am excited to put it to use!
Well, welcome to the rabbit hole. We're here for you, but you knew that.

Carbonation volumes vary by temperature. Find a carbonation chart to get the idea. No need to prime, just insert the fermented uncarbonated beer into the keg, apply pressure, and wait.

You can carbonate in hours, too: At some cold temperature, set the pressure to 35 or 40, then rock or shake the keg. The CO2 will dissolve much faster. Do that for 5-10 minutes, then leave the pressure on overnight. Next day, reset pressure for volumes desired, wait a few hours, and done.

Without rocking the keg, itvtakes 2-3 days. At lower presdures (like 12 psi) it might take a week.

With a picnic tap, you must reduce keg pressure to pour, or you will get only foam. I usually just pull the pressure release until it almost stops hissing, then pour. Repressurize after.

Well, welcome to the rabbit hole. We're here for you, but you knew that.

Carbonation volumes vary by temperature. Find a carbonation chart to get the idea. No need to prime, just insert the fermented uncarbonated beer into the keg, apply pressure, and wait.

You can carbonate in hours, too: At some cold temperature, set the pressure to 35 or 40, then rock or shake the keg. The CO2 will dissolve much faster. Do that for 5-10 minutes, then leave the pressure on overnight. Next day, reset pressure for volumes desired, wait a few hours, and done.

Without rocking the keg, itvtakes 2-3 days. At lower presdures (like 12 psi) it might take a week.

With a picnic tap, you must reduce keg pressure to pour, or you will get only foam. I usually just pull the pressure release until it almost stops hissing, then pour. Repressurize after.
Agreed with almost everything here.

After adding your still beer into the keg, make sure to purge the keg with CO2. Set it to 6-8 psi, and pull the pressure relief valve at least 4 times letting it fill each time. This will purge the air from the keg and replace with CO2.

I served from a picnic tap on 5 ft of beer line for a year and didn't need to reduce pressure while serving. 8-12 psi was always adequate to pressurize the beer and serve. You will find hundreds of homebrew forum users telling you that 5 ft of serving line is too short and at least 10 feet is needed. This has not been my experience. But to each a zone :)

I'm that guy I have 4.5M lines lol and that's at 4mm internal Diameter (inner squeeze matters)...

But I did consult that carbonation chart when making thar decision years ago.

You know what they say you can't beat some extra length ;) ;) line length that is lol:p.

I run a picnic tap for a few years awhile ago I found just make sure when your gunna pour don't hold back on the trigger if ya get my drift (hold the tap right down):D or foam ye shall have lol!

I must say @Herm brews pictures or it didn't happen common man I wanna see some merch!

I served from a picnic tap on 5 ft of beer line for a year and didn't need to reduce pressure while serving. 8-12 psi was always adequate to pressurize the beer and serve.
This.
Over four years and I'm still using the basic 5' of 3/16"ID beer line that I bought with the kegs. After racking the beer, I set the pressure @ 11-12psi and a week later I serve at the same pressure. No foaming issues. Never have tried to serve at a lower pressure so I certainly wouldn't dismiss the idea.

Only tip I have for @Herm brews is to make sure you have some spare parts around, especially extra plastic Picnic (cobra) Taps as they will not last forever.

I'm that guy I have 4.5M lines lol and that's at 4mm internal Diameter (inner squeeze matters)...

But I did consult that carbonation chart when making thar decision years ago.

You know what they say you can't beat some extra length ;) ;) line length that is lol:p.

I run a picnic tap for a few years awhile ago I found just make sure when your gunna pour don't hold back on the trigger if ya get my drift (hold the tap right down):D or foam ye shall have lol!

I must say @Herm brews pictures or it didn't happen common man I wanna see some merch!

image.jpg
Here is the proof! I am still trying to figure out the first use - brite tank and serving keg for Vienna Garage Lager; serving vessel for Smooth Stout; fermentation and serving vessel for my planned brew Red Wheat for Winter. Choices! I think I’m going to need another keg, and a jumper tubing setup for closed transfers.

@Herm brews
Definitely rabbit hole :)

I'm just wondering if I shouldn't see if I got enough solar power to run my solar fridge and opt for either a saison or Belgium for my next brew, instead of another Voss bree

View attachment 27659Here is the proof! I am still trying to figure out the first use - brite tank and serving keg for Vienna Garage Lager; serving vessel for Smooth Stout; fermentation and serving vessel for my planned brew Red Wheat for Winter. Choices! I think I’m going to need another keg, and a jumper tubing setup for closed transfers.
Nah man, just use it to store your starsan
1702664705107.png

View attachment 27659Here is the proof! I am still trying to figure out the first use - brite tank and serving keg for Vienna Garage Lager; serving vessel for Smooth Stout; fermentation and serving vessel for my planned brew Red Wheat for Winter. Choices! I think I’m going to need another keg, and a jumper tubing setup for closed transfers.
Nice looking keg! They did you a solid there.

I'd definitely be wary of any oxidation when it comes to any beer I brew if not but for insurance against dull lifeless flabby muted hop flavoured beer.

We're all trying to brew the best beer we can why let oxygen ruin it :) .
Didn’t you do exactly that when you aerated it before pitching? I think the jury’s still out on when oxidation becomes a problem. Yeast has to have O2 ergo, gotta expose the wort to air as much as possible. So what if the yeast quits before using up available air? Not saying anyone is wrong, just asking a question.

I think my CO2 regulator is dying. Dosen't seem to want to build pressure back up after pulling a brew. I use a double regulator set so I can switch to the other reg., but darn, I'll have to drink the brew it is connected to.

Hopefully cleaning some stuff today. Plan to brew Monday.

I think my CO2 regulator is dying. Dosen't seem to want to build pressure back up after pulling a brew. I use a double regulator set so I can switch to the other reg., but darn, I'll have to drink the brew it is connected to.
The horror!

Didn’t you do exactly that when you aerated it before pitching? I think the jury’s still out on when oxidation becomes a problem. Yeast has to have O2 ergo, gotta expose the wort to air as much as possible. So what if the yeast quits before using up available air? Not saying anyone is wrong, just asking a question.
Yeast will consume enormous amounts of oxygen, until there is no more, them move to the anaerobic phase of fermentation.

Don't be My corny kegs hold about 5.2 or so. Fermenting in them requires more headspace, and there is much loss in volume to trub. Corny kegs make great lagering and write tanks. Your fermenters should be fine.
Lagering in corny kegs is how I do it, Closed transfer put it in a 34 degree(f) enviornment and feed it 11psi or so. Come back in 3-5 weeks and enjoy,

Kegged my Red Winter Wheat. Basically, an American Wheat with a bit of color. I was aiming for red, but came up a bit short. I did not want to use crystal malts to get there so I used a bit of Roasted Barley. May have needed another handful. Next time. It’s close though.

IMG_1844.jpeg

Back