What are you doing with homebrew today?

IPA today
IMG_20230402_082548.jpg

Chilled the IPA last night, and just tapped it! Floating dip tubes, spunding valve, and captured c02 resulted in a clear beer, no transfer, and no c02 tank needed! Looking forward to this setup.

The beer itself is tasty, but very bitter. I'm pretty sure I must have forgotten to update my AAs, or maybe I wasn't paying attention and got my hops mixed up.

Being on my last 2 sixes of my Cream and Albany ale, I had intended on brewing today but a number of set backs and dueling priorities along with me realizing that I hadn't preped anything for the week with respect to caring for Wifey..a day with my stainless steel girlfiend became a no go...but one door closes and another door opens! While cleaning up and putting things back in the cellar, imagine my joy when I discovered that I really wasn't on the verge of being out of home brew!

View attachment 24843

Thank you Saint Arnulf!
You make the crates? What kinda wood did you use?

I made some similar, with used oak slats from pallets. The crate weighed more than the bottles in it, LOL. Version 2.0 I ripped the slats down to 1" bars for the sides and bottom. That helped a lot with the weight, and I also switched to poplar slats. Bloody red oak is HEAVY. Probably a bit overkill using hardwood, but the pallets were free. So far, I've used them for cladding the inside of my shed (24x35), and numerous small projects. The latest of which is a shoe rack for the foyer that the missus wanted for folks that wanna kick off their shoes when they come in (new flooring). She just stained it today. Looks pretty good, even though I built it.

Don't wanna leave it on that wondow ledge too long aye Ozarks might turn into a skunk hop addition :p

good point, I keep a close eye on temps but as far as the window it was to warm it up, its been very cold here until recently and that room was set to 65F and I have a heater above it on cloudy days lol

You make the crates? What kinda wood did you use?

Yuppers, me and some power tools! I used pallet wood. I look for thin stuff to save on the weight and use that on the non-load bearing sides. I don't know what sort of wood it is other than being HT and has not had chemicals purposely used to treat the wood from bugs. I've made all sorts of stuff from pallets.

Transferring out the last of my barley beer I can't drink.
20230404_140739.jpg

My workmate thankfully inspired by my hombrewing adventures bought a couple of Oxbars so with Easter looming and not even a beer in the fermenter yet I said bring em around and enjoy some of my beer for Easter;).

That there is the Yakidah NZ pilsner it was still nice and hoppy when I put some in the cup for him wow that's 5 or 6 months old and has kept its aroma.

Downtown Charlie went In the other keg I got some cleaning to do:rolleyes:

Transferring out the last of my barley beer I can't drink.View attachment 24926
My workmate thankfully inspired by my hombrewing adventures bought a couple of Oxbars so with Easter looming and not even a beer in the fermenter yet I said bring em around and enjoy some of my beer for Easter;).

That there is the Yakidah NZ pilsner it was still nice and hoppy when I put some in the cup for him wow that's 5 or 6 months old and has kept its aroma.

Downtown Charlie went In the other keg I got some cleaning to do:rolleyes:

Sorry about that. I hope your work mate appreciates the gift.

Sorry about that. I hope your work mate appreciates the gift.
Oh he does - I'll be schooling him ;).
( I've already convinced him to take up kegging before he's even fermented a batch or beer):rolleyes:
Maybe some of this forums and my influence ;);)

Also gave the rest of mu brewing grains away to another closer brewer friend today.

He's bummed he don't get to use my taster anymore on his homebrew for feed back.

But he has my ginger beer and buckwheat beer and said oh it's good yeah right :p.

Rekons my buckwheat beer is like becks :eek: WTF well I took it as clean fermented for lallamand English ale yeast :).

He said if anyone will get their it'll be me .

You bloody betcha bottom dollar I will mate!;)

Last edited:
Half a keg of Irish ale. Turned in the tap and got the air and sound of an empty keg. Took the lid off and the floating dip tube wasn’t under the beer level. I gave a shake, yep stupid and impulsive, put lid back on a purged. Still had to tilt the keg to get beer. Hopefully I didn’t oxidize what’s left since it turned out better super well. I guess I’ll need to add a weight to the dip tube next time. Had this happen before on transferring a beer.

Half a keg of Irish ale. Turned in the tap and got the air and sound of an empty keg. Took the lid off and the floating dip tube wasn’t under the beer level. I gave a shake, yep stupid and impulsive, put lid back on a purged. Still had to tilt the keg to get beer. Hopefully I didn’t oxidize what’s left since it turned out better super well. I guess I’ll need to add a weight to the dip tube next time. Had this happen before on transferring a beer.
Sorry to hear this as that ale was looking consistently impressive at the bottom of the glass. Fingers crossed but if it still tasted okay after being tilted then that is a good sign at least.

I had a similar issue and ended up finding some more flexible tubing which solved the issue with the float getting hung up on the side of the keg. Your beer should be fine buddy

In the strange fashion that I plan my brewing, I am deciding that my Smooth Stout needs to be brewed again. The latest batch is more than half consumed, and it really seems to be coming into form. Given that I am developing a real appreciation of this beer, I want to brew it on a regular basis. My last brew was an amber ale. It kind of fits this pattern where I brew something light to medium amber, then brew something quite dark.

Funny that until just a few years back, I never drank stouts. Now I seek them out. On that note, on our recent trip to Bend, we ate and drank at Deschutes Brewing downtown restaurant. My friend V opted for a 105 IBU’s IPA that was quite good. I was excited to drink Obsidian Stout, but it was on nitro. Unfortunately, I’m not a fan of nitro pours. Make no mistake, I enjoy the visual appeal of the dissipating foam, but the flat beer mouthfeel isn’t as attractive. Lucky me, I loved a pint of Black Butte Porter. Maybe somewhere down the line I’ll try brewing a porter.

Back