What are you doing with homebrew today?

Kegged Bunyip, I think it may have come in around 4%, I'm thinking that a more appropriate name sticking with mythical creatures might be Easter Bunny...
It is actually a very nice beer! Surprising malt flavor for what turned out to be such light beer. It could actually use more bitterness and hop flavor. I am very, very pleased with it, and very pleased to be back in the game!!!!!
20230216_201245.jpg
20230216_203622.jpg
20230216_210548.jpg

I moved my first ever keg with simple cider to the fridge ;)
Today, I'll keep looking into all things keg and decide on a new batch of beer plus I'll be brewing some soirdough bread ;)

Got the starter going before bed. I use sanitized water jugs. Good thing I got up when I did the pee. It was about to spray yeast all over the kitchen. Brewing an Irish stout later. For some reason I didn’t order 2 lbs of flaked barley so I’m wondering about buying some oats.

Got the starter going before bed. I use sanitized water jugs. Good thing I got up when I did the pee. It was about to spray yeast all over the kitchen. Brewing an Irish stout later. For some reason I didn’t order 2 lbs of flaked barley so I’m wondering about buying some oats.
An Irish Stout without Flaked Barley??!!
Noooooooooooooooo!!!! :p

My opinion --->
I don't find Flaked Oats to be a substitute for Flaked Barley in any way, but YMMV.
I know a lot of people love Flaked Oats, and in a NEIPA, I'm in. But for a Stout I think you will lose the creamy body and beautiful foam that Flaked Barley provides.

An Irish Stout without Flaked Barley??!!
Noooooooooooooooo!!!! :p

My opinion --->
I don't find Flaked Oats to be a substitute for Flaked Barley in any way, but YMMV.
I know a lot of people love Flaked Oats, and in a NEIPA, I'm in. But for a Stout I think you will lose the creamy body and beautiful foam that Flaked Barley provides.
I do have 1 pound but need 2. Can’t believe I forgot to add it to the order.

I thought about adding some crystal malt…if I remember correctly Murphys has a touch or tastes less “dry” to me. I am making
an extra stout
8 lbs MO
1 lb roast
1 lb of flaked barley (I wanted 2)

I thought about adding some crystal malt…if I remember correctly Murphys has a touch or tastes less “dry” to me. I am making
an extra stout
8 lbs MO
1 lb roast
1 lb of flaked barley (I wanted 2)
Do you have any Wheat malt? It can be a nice foam-positive substitute for Flaked Barley.
Otherwise, I think the above recipe is just fine, without any crystal.

Cooling
IMG_20230218_105638723.jpg

Managed to get down to around 25 oC (77 F) with cooling & adding cold water.
It's in the fermenter in the fridge, cooling to around 17 oC (63 F) before pitching bry-97 slurry

My local Kroger sells Flaked Barley. Or you can smoosh down (to flake shape) pearl or whole barley, just moisten it and let it get a little softer.
View attachment 24262
Didn’t know this. I’ll look next time I’m there.

brew day went well last night and fermentation this morning. Got a spot that about 65f so yeast should be happy

Back