What are you doing with homebrew today?

I was using your recipe as a reference actually :D I won't have quite as many hop additions...but I'm targeting 1.060 and 60 ibus, capping the mash with carafa 3, Chico yeast strain, SRM of 24...I'm excited to take a crack at it!

Also, does anyone have advice how to cut a liquid dip tube from a keg? I don't have a pipe cutter. I do have metal blades for my cordless jig saw, but that doesn't sound like a clean cut
Metal pipe cutter, the kind plumbers use.
Or a hacksaw, even just a blade.
Or a dremel with a cutting wheel (the very flat thin stone thingies)
Grind the end against the concrete curb (don't laugh)

Smooth the edges with sandpaper, for any of the methods.

My dry/wet run through did not go well today...
I'm glad I didn't attempt to actually brew something today!
I have some kinks to work out...
Took the opportunity in the brew space to clean up a few kegs that needed it.
Sorry, can't "like" that.
But good! Finding the kinks in advance is always good.

I was using your recipe as a reference actually :D I won't have quite as many hop additions...but I'm targeting 1.060 and 60 ibus, capping the mash with carafa 3, Chico yeast strain, SRM of 24...I'm excited to take a crack at it!

Also, does anyone have advice how to cut a liquid dip tube from a keg? I don't have a pipe cutter. I do have metal blades for my cordless jig saw, but that doesn't sound like a clean cut
Most tubing cutter wheels are designed to cut copper so stainless might be a bit of a go. When I cut mine (actually, I cut the “In” post”) I used a very fine hack saw blade. It took a bit, but the cut was clean enough. Hardest part was holding the tube steady.

Bottled 11 - 22oz bombers of an Imperial Stout. I do plan on waxing the caps at some point.

Went from 1.114 —-> 1.027. No too shabby. That’s about 11.4 %. If I’m patient, I’ll pop the first one next Christmas.

C5F2C4DD-0999-4C9B-A5A2-F4C0485E462B.jpeg

Bottled 11 - 22oz bombers of an Imperial Stout. I do plan on waxing the caps at some point.

Went from 1.114 —-> 1.027. No too shabby. That’s about 11.4 %. If I’m patient, I’ll pop the first one next Christmas.

View attachment 23934
Cool!
May I ask what is the purpose of waxing the caps?

I'm re-reading some of my home brewing books. Funny how you still pick up thinks during a 2nd read ;)
Trying to see if there is something simple to increase efficiency while keeping my simple system simple :D

Supposedly, waxing the caps is another layer of protection against long term storage and oxygen ingress. Truthfully, it is to make the beer look more impressive than it really is! :p
A solid plan!

Spent a good portion of the day in the brew room. One of my issues with the wet/dry run yesterday was that I wasn't able to get the steam condenser functioning properly. The cold water line kept popping off (damn you kegland, 6mm, why?), I ordered a fitting from work that should solve that problem. The new counterflow chiller also leaked at just about every cold side connection as well. Every single thread, and the hose clamps were all loose. I guess one should check first, but shouldn't something like this be leak tested before shipment? I took some time today to methodically tighten everything up, there is actually an order to follow. It was a good day in the basement brewery!

After a three week break I started my first brew of 2023: Pride of London Porter extract kit by Ritchies. Light in the kitchen over exposed the photos, the first time I have tried snapping anything in there. Deleted the lot. Previously made this for the first time in May and it was also my first ever porter and probably the best quality kit I have made to date. I was a bit surprised that it came with dextrose rather than a dark or even extra dark spray malt given it is in a 'premium' range. But as it came out so well, I jumped when it was on special offer with a few others due to a close BBE. Still have 2L of last year's left so will be doing a comparison at some stage. OG of 1.052 smack at the top of the range - last time out it was 1.046. Difference mostly down to not using any of the sizeable 4oz pack of primer included in the first box so I whacked that in too, assuming it is the same stuff as the main pack of dextrose.

I'm re-reading some of my home brewing books. Funny how you still pick up thinks during a 2nd read ;)
Trying to see if there is something simple to increase efficiency while keeping my simple system simple :D
I may have hit on something stupid last week. I always used a grill grate to drain my bag. When the damn thing is suspended from a pulley like it supposed to be, it adds a little more efficiency.
I was debating on if I was going to drop the temperature on my first lager some more before I keg and lager next weekend. I decided to leave it where it is.

I do this all the time. Perhaps it's because the big stuff we already put into practice or is common to a lot of styles, but the little stuff is something we notice once we get past the big stuff. Some of my reading is to see if I can find things that justify/explain changes in older brewing/fermenting techniques that make sense.

Back